Rate Doug Nussmeier at the halfway point

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
He has called some great games so far & been praised all year. Last two games have been a definite step back though sadly, A&M moreso than LSU. There are times when we just inexplicably abandon the run.

Tide Rev

All-American
Mar 22, 2000
Ocean Springs, MS
If we would have run it 4xs in a row and not made it, I would not have a criticism at all. But this is supposedly the nations best O line and they did not get a chance to win the game. That was a complete and utter brain cramp on the coaching staff.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
In games against teams that are close to our equal CDN has done poorly. CJM had some red zone issues, but he out coached the other team a few times - UF 2009, LSU in the title game. CDN needs some work.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I was pretty happy with the playcalling until tonight. aTm's defense was on the ropes in the 2nd half and we bailed them out by throwing WAY too much on 1st down, and I don't even want to talk about the debacle inside the 10 there at the end. We played horribly and STILL should have won, but we were outcoached on all phases of the game.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Did Bama pass too much? Yes. However, A&M expected the run. The reason for the PAs and drop backs was to catch them off guard because they were expecting the run.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Did Bama pass too much? Yes. However, A&M expected the run. The reason for the PAs and drop backs was to catch them off guard because they were expecting the run.
The running was successful though - even if they were expecting it. Passing on the early downs wasn't catching anyone by surprise - neither LSU nor A&M. All it did was mess up the rest of the downs.

PCBamafan

3rd Team
Oct 18, 1999
Panama City, Fl
Even if they were, we have what has been touted by almost everybody as the best O line in the country! If we run 4 straight times uo the gut or off tackle, we score and we win! PERIOD!!

Guess the lesson here is not to start off in a 20-0 hole before you ever get off the bus!

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The running was successful though - even if they were expecting it. Passing on the early downs wasn't catching anyone by surprise - neither LSU nor A&M. All it did was mess up the rest of the downs.
As Saban told a reporter about the 4th and goal play, this wouldn't be a topic if the plays were executed properly. If Bama runs and fails, folks would say we should have passed more.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Until the past two weeks I thought Nussy had been spot on. The past two weeks he's been spotty at best. Granted, execution has been pretty poor for most of the past 8 quarters, but that's just part of our problem.

venegoni

Scout Team
Mar 18, 2007
If AJ would have laid the ball out there instead of under throwing the ball as he does a lot, we would not be in that situation.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I think he's done a pretty could job, but I do think he's abandoned the run too much in the last two games. We do pretty could at some smash mouth stuff.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I didn't mind the PA's, but most of the passes in the 2nd half on 1st down they were looking for the pass. Then after we'd throw it incomplete they would load the box for 2nd, the bring the house on 3rd and long. We played right into their hands and made aTm's DC look like a genius tonight.

Agreed. The run on 1st down was wide open in the 2nd half, we just refused to take advantage of it. I wished I would have DVR'd the game tonight to see how many times we threw on 1st and what our success rate was.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Absence does make the heart grow fonder, but I remember many threads discussing how some weren't satisfied with the way McElwain was calling games as well. We forget because of all of the wins, but I remember many people who said that CJMcE was poor at calling plays in the red zone. It's all a matter of perspective
Well, at least I'm consistent. I thought we didn't go vertical enough with CJM. We have the WR's for the vertical game, it's just getting the ball there in stride.

Cyrus The Great

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 25, 2012
I really hate to play general after the war, but I agree with everyone that we should have ran the ball four times on our last possession. I would like to say that CDN called a good enough game for us to win, but we missed some critical throws.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
I really hate to play general after the war, but I agree with everyone that we should have ran the ball four times on our last possession. I would like to say that CDN called a good enough game for us to win, but we missed some critical throws.
I disagree. A well timed pass would have been perfect on the drive, but 1st down was not the appropriate time. We should have run it a couple of times, then pulled a PA pass on 3rd down depending on the postion of the ball. However, that's all second guessing at this point, and it really doesn't accomplish jack squat.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I wonder what would've happened had AJ scrambled to the left instead of cutting back towards the center of the field on the last drive. Looked open to the left!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.