Blog: Horse Racing

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
My picks are:
Win - Midnight Bourbon (because I've had a lot of that)
Place - Essential Quality (I have a lot of this too)
Show - Medina Squid (or whatever)

I always dreamed of a derby race with a horse named Harass that gets scratched before post time, mostly because of the fantasy of watching the commentator get fired after he says, "Scratch Harass."

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
My Horse was O Besos. across the board, I thought he would run 3rd at least. Like Baffert, the goat, said it's the trip for the colt that matters. I missed a great Derby! Here in Minnesota it's on National TV for the Derby, but back in Louisville it' on local TV all the way up to the Derby and switches over to National. In fact it's a week long affair with Celebs, and notables from sports, politicos, and people from virtually everywhere. I really miss it, and the covid lockdown here is behind most as in Louisville.. I was blessed to attend about 9 or 10 derbies and experience the excitement and atmosphere of Derby week. For over 51 years. God willing, next year I'll see it, draft or not.

Reactions: Padreruf

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This isn’t a good look for the sport. In times where the popularity of horse racing continues to wane, and even greater scrutiny from the animal rights folks, the main things the sport has that continues to draw interest is the Triple Crown races and the Breeder’s Cup.
There has always been rumors of cheating and race fixing. That will never go away. However the last thing you want in one of your “showcase” events is the whether the results are legitimate or not.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
This isn’t a good look for the sport. In times where the popularity of horse racing continues to wane, and even greater scrutiny from the animal rights folks, the main things the sport has that continues to draw interest is the Triple Crown races and the Breeder’s Cup.
There has always been rumors of cheating and race fixing. That will never go away. However the last thing you want in one of your “showcase” events is the whether the results are legitimate or not.
The Derby was greatly diminished by allowing "near do well" Colts to participate, with their owners "buying them in the Derby". Even then lowering the bar for for said Colts. It should be the top 12 Colts/ fillies. It brings a large percentage of chance in the race, and increases the odds for accidents, IMO.

Reactions: CB4

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.