2013 QB

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I would really like to see what Simms can do. I hope he gets a chance to throw the ball some before the season is over.

thefloydian

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
That, plus the fact that Josh McDaniels is an idiot. Tebow should have been a 3rd round pick at the earliest, as evidenced by his NFL career thus far.
Yeah, if McDaniels didn't exist Tebow wouldn't have gone until the third round more than likely.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Not to hijack the thread, but I believe that AJ goes pro at the end of the year, and he gets drafted fairly high. He's like Trent was last year, he really has nothing to gain by staying for his SR year, especially if he goes out as a 2 time NCG winner. We're never going to be a throw first offense, so he won't really improve his overrall statistics, he'll already have won everything he's going to win with 2 NC's and possibly a heisman finalists spot, and he risks having his career ended prematurely by injury. So he really has no reason to come back unless he just really wants to finish his degree. The best part for him is a lot of the top quarterbacks have fallen out of contention for a first round pick. Barkley has been mediocre at best, Geno Smith has fallen off the radar over the past few weeks, and Collin Klein is Tim Tebow with lower muscle content, so he hasn't moved up the draft board. I kind of view AJ in the same light as Ryan Tannehill was last year. Tannehill went from relative unknown to top 10 draft pick, and AJ, while not as athletic as Tannehill, is probably a better pure qb than RT, and I think that NFL teams are starting to notice.

Now to answer the original question. There is no way that Saban starts a true freshman quarterback, I know the adage of "if you're good enough, than you are old enough", but I don't think there is a true frosh qb out there who could pick up Saban's system without being an overwhelmed. Plus, freshmen make freshmen mistakes, and I don't think Saban would put a freshmen that he's not used to in charge of one of the most disciplined offenses in the country. I would imagine that Ely would be the full time starter, but I think we would see Blake Sims take a more active roll in the wildcat. If you've watched the end of the games this year, It does kind of look like Saban is trying to groom them for a double role already.

My opinion and nothing more, TIFWIW

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
and that list scares the bejesus out of me for next year. honestly, i'm not impressed with any of them. a strong running game and solid defense will only get you so far in 13'.
I tend to agree but honestly who was really excited about GMAc coming into the season? And most all of these guys were more highly thought of coming out of high school. I think we could win with any of them, but what concerns me is the line they will have in front of them. Mac and Aj both came in as untested starters, but both had the luxury of a pretty darn good line to protect them and help get the run game going. New line and and new qb is a
scary.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007
I'm sure we'll be fine offensively. We'll just go back to the old run, run, throw offense and rely on defense, if the guys behind AJ aren't ready yet.

However, I do think AJ has room to grow, and possibly a 1st round spot next year. However, he can still prove that this year. If he hits his shots and looks good vs LSU, the SECCG, and BCSNCG....there's still a lot of season left. But if we hide him in those games, or we don't hide him (as we really haven't this season) and he struggles he could hurt himself. Hopefully he excels.

If he comes back, he could show that he could lead a young offensive line to a great offense. The "experts" have said that if he comes back a year, he could push for 1st round status. But like I said, there's a lot of season left and a lot of showcase games.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
My guess would be Ely as well..In the limited times he's played..I thought he looked dang good passing the ball..Like others though..I hope AJ stays his senior year..Especially if he wins his 3rd NC ring..It would be awesome if he came back to win his 4th one..

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
My guess would be Ely as well..In the limited times he's played..I thought he looked dang good passing the ball..Like others though..I hope AJ stays his senior year..Especially if he wins his 3rd NC ring..It would be awesome if he came back to win his 4th one..
How can you say he has looked good? He is 3 of 4 for 40 something yards and a TD. One pass was a screen that took up 27 of those and took a great catch and run by Lacy to score. That is hardly enough to say he has looked dang good at passing.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
How can you say he has looked good? He is 3 of 4 for 40 something yards and a TD. One pass was a screen that took up 27 of those and took a great catch and run by Lacy to score. That is hardly enough to say he has looked dang good at passing.
You make a valid point..I should have word that better..Excuse me..

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Did the bag man tell Sheridan AJ was staying?

I do not have an opinion on who the quarterback should be next year if he leaves. Nick Saban knows a lot more about football than I do. He attends every practice and has meetings with each of them. I trust his judgement on who it should be. I would like to see the backups get some significant snaps against Western Carolina and the Barn once the games become blowouts.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
AJ is gone. His stock will never be higher. Him and his family have pretty much already said he is going pro. I would probably say Ely will be the guy next season. I don't see Saban running a two QB system on a regular basis. Not enough continuity in the offense. With the RB's we will have next season we just need to hand it off every play anyway ha

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
AJ is gone. His stock will never be higher. Him and his family have pretty much already said he is going pro. I would probably say Ely will be the guy next season. I don't see Saban running a two QB system on a regular basis. Not enough continuity in the offense. With the RB's we will have next season we just need to hand it off every play anyway ha
Until recently, I would have agreed. However, what he's hearing now is that he could drop as low as the 3rd or 4th round, whereas next year, he could be one of the top two QBs taken, if he has a decent season. Also, the Heisman talk is not hurting. OTOH, his dad is really pushing presently, so who knows? At any rate, it's not the lead pipe cinch it was a few weeks ago...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The O-line next year will be fairly inexperienced. They've gotten some good reps this year, but we won't see the same play as we have the last two years. Running the ball might not be as easy as we've seen.
Until recently, I would have agreed. However, what he's hearing now is that he could drop as low as the 3rd or 4th round, whereas next year, he could be one of the top two QBs taken, if he has a decent season. Also, the Heisman talk is not hurting. OTOH, his dad is really pushing presently, so who knows? At any rate, it's not the lead pipe cinch it was a few weeks ago...
How has he dropped with his performances this year? If anything, I would expect him to jump up the board rather than drop. Unless the analysts see guys doing better, I don't see how AJ has dropped.

EscaTider

Hall of Fame
Oct 2, 2008
Flomaton, AL
With all due respect, I think those who believe that Bateman has a realistic shot at starting next year are dreaming. Ely and Sims both have valuable game experience, and have been there long enough to start to earn some trust. Then you have Morris who will have the benefit of a redshirt year and a spring.

Bateman would have to be an all-world once in a generation talent to supplant all three.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
How has he dropped with his performances this year? If anything, I would expect him to jump up the board rather than drop. Unless the analysts see guys doing better, I don't see how AJ has dropped.
IDK. I'm just passing along what he's hearing...

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
I think it is more of the fact that this years class has a lot of good pro prospect qb's in Barkley, Smith, Wilson, and any other that wants to leave early. And there are a lot of teams with qb's that are young and don't want to waste an early pick on a backup. Even New England and Denver have gotten backups in the last 2 years. So I don't see qb being a big need position this year and the class is fairly deep

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I really think it's NC or bust. If Alabama loses, and/or he gets hurt, that will impact his stock. He's not highly rated enough to take the hit. If he leads Alabama to another NC? Well, he'll not only have been a Heisman finalist but he'll have that championship mojo that someone is going to buy into.

I really think his mind will be made up for him. Either he'll have every reason to leave, or he'll have a lot of reasons to stay.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.