Herbstreit says aTm is a bigger threat than LSWho

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
Re: Herbstreit say aTm is a bigger threat than LSWho

Just heard a stat on the roundtable on JOX that tells me all I need to know. Johnny Football scored a total of 1 touchdown against LSU and Fla combined. He's gonna do better than that against us??? I doubt it...
LSU is our biggest challenge to date and will be until the BCS Championship game if we make it that far. Which I expect us to do...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Just heard a stat on the roundtable on JOX that tells me all I need to know. Johnny Football scored a total of 1 touchdown against LSU and Fla combined. He's gonna do better than that against us??? I doubt it...
LSU is our biggest challenge to date and will be until the BCS Championship game if we make it that far. Which I expect us to do...
yep

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012

I'll take playing a team with a freshman QB and no defense rather than LSU any day of the week.
No defense? really? You go with that, hopefully Saban will think like you do.
btw audio, that freshman qb has broken Archie Manning's offensive record twice this year. Not say we are better than Alabama, but we are no slouch.

Herbstreit is correct imo. He didn't say the Ags will beat Bama. The Florida game probably would of had a different result later in the year. Manziel was playing in his first college game ever. In the lsu game, we beat ourselves. Six turnovers (only 1 or 2 forced by the defense) and we still lose by 3. Missed two field goals too. Manziel and the offense gets better every week. We'll see how it goes.
Also, BTHO LSU!

Last edited:

theBIGyowski

All-American
Aug 4, 2005
Cumming, GA

Both of those games were at home for A&M as well.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

No defense? really? You go with that, hopefully Saban will think like you do.
Yah, I'm sure Saban will mail it in. :rolleyes:

And yah, I'd consider a defense ranked in the middle of the nation in total yardage to be mediocre. For the record, that's 10th in the SEC.

btw audio, that freshman qb has broken Archie Manning's offensive record twice this year.
That's nice. Just making the point that inexperienced QBs rarely have much, if any success against great defenses.

Against the two good defenses he's faced this year (UF & LSU), JM performed about as one expect a freshmen to perform:
UF: 0 TDs, 0 INTs
LSU: 0 TDs; 3 INTs

Neither of those teams run defenses as complex (or as effective) as Alabama.

So yeah, I stand by my statement. JM is going to be a great one, but he's not there yet.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Let me jump in here on the idea that the way to beat Alabama is to "spread them out." Let us take a look at our losses going to back to 2008:

2008 - Loss to Florida - We played UF in a close game with arguably less talent. They pulled away late and had Tim Tebow under center.

2008 - Loss to Utah - Does this even count?

2009 - .....

2010 - Loss to USC - Garcia has the game of his life, Lattimore and Jeffrey play like bosses, and Melvin Ingram snacks on Greg McElroy. Just not our day - no account for "spreading out our defense."

2010 - Loss to LSU - hard hitting game we lose by 3 points. It takes LSU to trick plays and one awful busted play against a young secondary.

2010 - Loss to Auburn - three or four freak plays, injury to Barron, Cam Newton for Auburn and arguably the second half featured CNS's worst coaching since his came to Bama.

2011 - Loss to LSU - another hard hitting game where we lead LSU in every statistical category but managed to kill ourselves in the kicking game, a couple of bad throws by AJ, a phantom block in the back on an INT return and a team wound way too tight.

So that's our six losses since the 2008 season - seems to me that the only way to beat Bama is to have one or more of the following things happen:

a. Have an all-world talent like Tebow or Newton at QB
b. Have an in-game injury to a major cog in Bama's defense (or offense, perhaps)
c. Hope that Saban and Smart don't coach well
d. Have better talent
e. At least two of the above options

Long story short - there is little consistency to beating Alabama. We might lose, we might not. But there is no magic bullet here and anyone - even good ole Kirk Herbstreit - who suggests otherwise is off his rocker.

Aggie Scott

Scout Team
May 1, 2012

We'll see audio. Can't wait to see how we match up with you guys. I am glad we didn't have to play you early in the season. I don't think your game with lsu will even be close. They will have to spread your defense out and I don't think they have the ability to do it. They aren't going to run it down your throats either.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

We'll see audio. Can't wait to see how we match up with you guys. I am glad we didn't have to play you early in the season. I don't think your game with lsu will even be close. They will have to spread your defense out and I don't think they have the ability to do it. They aren't going to run it down your throats either.
I don't think 'audio is trying to dis your boy Johnny Football. I think what he's saying is though he's got all world talent and he's had some dang good games. The two true measuring sticks he's played against his numbers haven't been all world. I'll give you the Florida game. Opening game of season etc. But the LSU game I watched, it was obvious LSU's defense gave him problems and at times frustrated him. His numbers reflect that as well. He might give our defense fits early on. But one thing about upper echelon SEC defenses is they adjust on the fly. They don't keep doing the same thing over and over. Much like how LSU adjusted and went to a three man line to slow Johnny Football down. Bama will do the same thing. We'll start out the game with the gameplan worked on during the week. But if that doesn't work we'll adjust to what does.

That's the thing. If you can't run it, then Bama has anyone where they want them. We have more than enough team speed to cover the spread offense. They have a good running game so I wonder what will give. Our run defense or their running game. I'm going to love A&M coming to Bryant-Denny.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

We'll see audio.
What's to see? I'm not claiming we'll beat you guys, I'm just saying a freshman (read: inexperienced) QB doesn't fare well against upper-echelon defenses. We've seen this for years, decades, it's a simple fact. JM is going to ba an amazing QB with some experience - as soon as next year you'll have even good defenses scared of him. But right now, he's simply a super-talneted guy who can make things happen against most defenses.

Simple fact, no biggie. I'd love to have the guy in Crimson, if that means anything to you.

I do think we win the game against you guys, simply because a FR QB doesn't do well against complex, fast defenses and your defense won't do much to slow down our offense. We'll have to see how that one shakes down, but LSU has a far better chance of beating us - defense wins championships.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

I'm so sick of hearing about how great Johnny Football is; he's so great, he has lead his team to 2 losses this year. They only beat Ole Miss by 3 and the teams they have stomp are Southern Methodist, South Carolina State and awful Arkansas and Auburn teams. There offense was shutdown by UF and LSU; Bama's D will choke them.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

There sure is a lot of bulletin board material floating around this week for LSU to use. From Danielson basically saying all we have to do is get off the bus, to Herbie saying aTm will give us a better game. WOW!
Good point, Buzzard.

Thank God CNS won't let any of the players so much as think something like that...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Good point, Buzzard.

Thank God CNS won't let any of the players so much as think something like that...
None of the interviews seem to indicate that they've lost their edge. In the end, it's still LSU and it's going to be a slugfest, or at least start out as one...

bamanut_aj

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2000
Spring Hill, TN

Not really. They've gone through a long SEC stretch and haven't had a bye due to postponed games at the beginning of the season.
that's a good point; but I'm looking at it strictly from emotional and physical fatigue from the lsu game. Do not think aTm wins, but they are catching us at a good time. And I do think they have that 'big game' potential in them. Kinda like how Tubberville was good for one of those 'big upsets' every year or so.....just sayin'

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.