Herbstreit says aTm is a bigger threat than LSWho

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Herbstreit say aTm is a bigger threat than LSWho

aTm runs the risk of a classic letdown game after a big win. That much is true.

After looking at the teams left, however, the only team that can stop Alabama is Alabama.

wrathin

Suspended
Oct 30, 2011

If there is a trap game this year, It's A&M. Playmaker oppposing QB combined with a sluggish hungover performance from our O could spell disaster for us. If he puts together one drive during the game and gets another broken play while our O is stagnant I could totally see us losing a 14-13 game vs. A&M. JMO

CrimsonSEC

Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2007
Brewton

If there is a trap game this year, It's A&M. Playmaker oppposing QB combined with a sluggish hungover performance from our O could spell disaster for us. If he puts together one drive during the game and gets another broken play while our O is stagnant I could totally see us losing a 14-13 game vs. A&M. JMO
It's potentially a trap game, but there's definitely no reason to look past LSU to it yet. LSU is still the most talented overall team on our schedule and is our biggest threat. But the team better have a short victory hangover if they get out of Red Stick with the streak intact.

M2J

All-American
Jan 28, 2007

Well everyone has said that it would take a hot QB to beat Bama. Of the games on the schedule so far, only A&M has a QB with a team speed and style capable of giving our D trouble by getting "Hot". And you can never rule out our offense having an off day.

I do love that game being @ BD though.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS

IMHO, the only way we lose to A&M is if LSU beats us - that could very well result in our team being down. But I don't expect that to happen.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA

I agree from the standpoint of the timing of the aTm game. They're getting us at a good time. Not that they'll beat us, but after the most physical and emotional game on our schedule is a great opportunity to take advantage of mental and physical fatigue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree completely. aTm has a better shot than most at knocking us off, simply because of scheduling. I don't think they will beat us, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "only trailed :15 this season" stat gets a few minutes added to it. It will definitely be a good test for some of the younger guys to see how they bounce back after the mental and physical fatigue.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

I think we will give them a proper welcome to the SEC. But like I said, it is LSU this week.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

I have never liked the term "trap game". Never even bothered to fully understand what it meant. I do know it is rough to play two tough games back to back. If I didn't know that prior to the '80s, I became painfully aware of it then because of a scheduling decision that negatively effected the ut series.

In the mid '70s, Coach Bryant had managed, for future schedules, to leave the second Saturday in October open in the years '82-'85. In the late '70s, when he and Joe Paterno worked out the ten year series of the '80s, those open dates were used to schedule PSU in those years. I am confident that Coach Bryant was hesitant about doing that, but, for whatever reason, it was done.

In a 24 year('71-'94) glorious(for Bama) segment of the ut series, Bama lost only four games. Consecutively. In the '80s. Needless to say at this point, those losses occurred in the years '82-'85, the week after playing Penn State.

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin...t=1971&end=1994&team1=Alabama&team2=Tennessee

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

There sure is a lot of bulletin board material floating around this week for LSU to use. From Danielson basically saying all we have to do is get off the bus, to Herbie saying aTm will give us a better game. WOW!

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

The danger of the Aggies is the combination of a spread, up-tempo offense and us coming off of three straight very physical games. It could be a bad combination, but I think the prep for Michigan will help mitigate that.

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms

There sure is a lot of bulletin board material floating around this week for LSU to use. From Danielson basically saying all we have to do is get off the bus, to Herbie saying aTm will give us a better game. WOW!
Yeah, its strange. I think it all has to do with Lsu QB. But the sheer ability of Lsu as a team is a threat. Turnovers can happen quickly and coming from behind against lsu is going to be very difficult. Lot rather have atm on the field than Lsu. Have the feeling Bama is just trying to get thru it rather than going out and dominating and that is not the right disposition. Of course, that is the feeling of fans like me, not the players hopefully.

Bamabw

Suspended
Oct 14, 2011

I TOTALLY agree with Herbie...I have been saying this to my a&m buddy for a few weeks now. The biggest glaring weakness that I noticed from a&m would be their d-backs. lsu had open receivers against a&m, particularly the long ball, all day but mettenchoad has ZERO touch on the long ball and could not connect with the open receivers. I believe that is where BAMA has the biggest advantage...

rizolltizide

Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2003
st pete, fl

Thing is, we'll force Johnny Football to stay in the pocket. He may get a couple runs, but he'll be playing our game. Not his.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

His job is also to get folks talking. Mission accomplished. LSU is a much tougher opponet IMO.
I know this will have no outcome on the game but it always seems when you start seeing things like "Bama is unstoppable", "Bama can beat some NFL teams", or comments dismissing the upcoming game to talk about a "tougher challenge" in next weeks game. The game in question doesn't turn out anything like expected. The team getting dogged on, whether it be directly or indirectly wins.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Florida & LSU have already both shown how Texas A&M will hold up to the more physical running SEC teams despite their recent momentum. Texas A&M's biggest threat is that they get to play us after we've already had a brawl with LSU.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Herbstreit give the best analysis of anyone out there, and I also think that A&M will be a challenge for us...
maybe moreso than LSU because their QB does have the ability to run, which Mettenberger doesnt.

Dont think that he was implying that A&M would beat us, just that they'll give us a tougher test than LSU based on a mobile QB....from what he's been saying, i dont think he gives LSU much of a chance agaist us this year.

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007

In this case I agree with Herbie!! When was the last time we faced a real mobile quarterback? Not only can Johnny Football throw the ball pretty well, but he can run.
There are really no good teams on our schedule that have a mobile QB. Difficult to prepare for in 1 week.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

I think A&M scores more on Bama than the who's do. The outcome of the games won't be different, but I think, IMO, the point differential will be larger this Saturday night. If the who's run successfully on Bama (for 200+ yards), they win...and I do not see that happening at all. Mustardburger is not gonna beat Bama throwing the football. So what does that mean? Who defense on the field, a lot, and game is blown open in 4th quarter.
Totally different than what will happen in the A&M game. IMO

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.