Danielson at it again

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Makes no difference to me who the announcers pull for. Once you understand who they want to see win, then you're able to better understand their commentary.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Verne was even more biased. Did anyone catch his "No! No! No!" when Hilliard tried to run that kickoff back 5 yards deep in his own endzone?
He acted the same way when Alabama fielded the punt on the 5 yard line. Their competence can be questioned at times, but neither Danielson nor Verne were overtly rooting for either team.

Their job is to make the game interesting for all viewers, so that is going to rub viewers that have an emotional stake in the game the wrong way.

Go to any other message board and they think that both Verne & Danielson are huge Bama homers because they say so many positive things about Bama. In reality, that's because Alabama usually does so many positive things during the game.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
He acted the same way when Alabama fielded the punt on the 5 yard line. Their competence can be questioned at times, but neither Danielson nor Verne were overtly rooting for either team.

Their job is to make the game interesting for all viewers, so that is going to rub viewers that have an emotional stake in the game the wrong way.

Go to any other message board and they think that both Verne & Danielson are huge Bama homers because they say so many positive things about Bama. In reality, that's because Alabama usually does so many positive things during the game.

exactly. i watch our games with a cousin who doesnt follow sports much and he joked that Danielson probably drools every time he mentioned Jesse Williams.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Good grief, do we have to go through this with every CBS game? We should all be used to the fact that no matter what Gary and Verne say, it will always be construed by our fans as biased. I think that they were kind of pulling for LSU last night, but it had nothing to do with us. The more drama that they can generate, the more viewers they get, the more viewers they get, the better their ratings are, and the better their ratings are, the better they get paid in the long run.

As far as Gary goes, remember how our fans always got mad when he compared everyone to Tim Tebow. Tim Tebow was his standard for being the best of the best, and it drove everyone nuts. Now have you noticed that he doesn't compare anyone to Tebow anymore? If he makes a comparison, it's always to us. We have become his new standard in college football, and no one bothers to notice.

As far as Verne goes, yeah he mixes some names up. He's been doing this for more years than a lot of us have been alive. He's called more sporting events, in more sports than most of us can comprehend. Think about what he does at CBS for just a minute. He calls every golf tournament, he's one of their main analysts for March Madness every year, and he does the SEC football game of the week among all of the other events he does. That is literally hundreds of events a year if not much more. Do you think anyone on here could take on that schedule without making some mistakes? He's also getting up there in years, and if the worst he does is calling our punter Cory Mandell, then I think he actually deserves some props. Verne will always be Verne, and while he'll never be the homer that we all love in Eli Gold, he's a darn good broadcaster, and he still beats the heck out of Gus Johnson.

Anyway, rant over, but all this complaining strikes me as very petty and highly unrealistic. Best part is, no matter what the preference of the broadcaster is, we still won, and there isn't a darn thing they can do about it.

Roll Tide

Tidetwin

All-American
May 15, 2006
Northeast Georgia
Danielson was rooting for LSU, no doubt in my mind.........and of course I factor in game play. I think you will see people that usually defend them say the same.

Respectfully disagree. Other than Verne's predictable bumbles, I thought the two of them did well. At games end, Danielson, as the rest of us, was probably just a little stunned at the outcome. I was on the floor.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Respectfully disagree. Other than Verne's predictable bumbles, I thought the two of them did well. At games end, Danielson, as the rest of us, was probably just a little stunned at the outcome. I was on the floor.
Good point on that one. I always defended him until this game, even the loss last year. It was subtle, but I sensed that he was ready for the Tide to go down a long with a great majority of the country. So it's not a stretch. It would have been exciting for us to go down to many. The media would have a lot to write about concerning who should be the new #1.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
True on the new story lines, Capstone. Alas, they're stuck with us for at least another week. God, I'd hate to be them. (Ooops, I am them.)

BamaAlum97

1st Team
Dec 13, 2002
Tulsa, OK
I think it is at best a stretch to say the Gary/Verne were biased for LSU. I have never felt that way while watching them. I pretty much felt that we were dominated for most of the game. I really don't get why so many people hate it when they call our games. Other than getting names wrong too often, I think they do a fine job.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
I think it is at best a stretch to say the Gary/Verne were biased for LSU. I have never felt that way while watching them. I pretty much felt that we were dominated for most of the game. I really don't get why so many people hate it when they call our games. Other than getting names wrong too often, I think they do a fine job.
Because Mandell was kicking for LSU, LSU tried for a fake punt, LSU was getting the ball back to start the second half, that's just a few from last night. I can't stand them because they are inept.

Crimson Draw

3rd Team
Nov 8, 2008
I had the game muted for most of the second half. The game was irritating enough without listening to Danielson. Until the end, at least. :)

BamaAlum97

1st Team
Dec 13, 2002
Tulsa, OK
Because Mandell was kicking for LSU, LSU tried for a fake punt, LSU was getting the ball back to start the second half, that's just a few from last night. I can't stand them because they are inept.
Did any of that confuse you and have you believing that Cody was traded mid-game? Or perhaps what you thought was a fake field goal was really a fake punt? I apologize for the sarcasm, but maybe he forgot who was getting the ball to start the half...so did my wife, I corrected her and moved on. It did not impact my enjoyment of the game on any level.

I don't rely on any commentator for my enjoyment of the game. Just some occasional analysis of key plays, which I think Gary does a very good job at.

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
It seems we have a lot of fans obsessed with them. I think some our fans actually look forward to keeping track of all the times Verne gets a name wrong or how often Gary has the nerve to give the other team credit for something. They are not my favs by any stretch but I've heard much worse.

Last edited:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Props to all of you being fair and impartial hear - Verne and Gary got annoying with the constant talk about last year's game, but otherwise - they followed the narrative of the game. That's their job.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Danielson was bad his first year or two, but he has gotten much much better. In terms of actually analyzing the game, I really think he is about as good as there is.

IIRC, back in the 09 UT game, early in the game, he commented about how low the UT kicker was kicking and said that might bite them later in the game. Sure enough, Cody blocks two fgs on the way to victory.

What made me laugh was Verne saying, "there's a flag!" Gary: "I think that was just a little premature confetti."

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I think Danielson does a fine job. I don't hear any real bias in his commentary. Actually, I think he likes Bama.

When you play poorly, he's going to say so, though. I have no problem with that.

califbamafan

1st Team
Nov 7, 2005
Rialto, Calif
everybody in the country was pulling for us to lose last night. Most people cannot stand to see the SEC constanly winning BCS's. If we can get by A&m next week we should be on our way to Miami. I hope we are not to beat up after last night to get out and whip A&M and Johny football.

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
Gary and Verne are just annoying, Anyone watch scrubs? they are the real life version of Ted, the lawyer. No matter what they try to do they are just unlikeable. Maybe its the constant flubs of names or facts or stats, maybe is the churtle, maybe its that Gary CANNOT help but linger on the negative and sounds like he's whining bout everything They are too universally hated for it to just e irrational fans. I agree its time to hand them both pink slips but not sure if it's realistic.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.