Question: Did LSU expose Bama weaknesses or just surprised with how well Mettenburger played?

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Interesting observations. So if they were largely in max protection and we couldn't get to the QB with the blitz, then perhaps the matchup strategy next time will be to show blitz then drop back into coverage.
It appeared that during their 2 minute offense that Mett had trouble finding his receivers with 8 in coverage.
This. 3-4 man fronts against the Aggies and keep Johnny contained. He tends to force things if pressured appropriately.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I was frustrated with Bama Secondary.... There was lot of missed tackles, misjudging the balls.. and that is not typical Saban defense. I Think they had an off night and Coach will correct that. I do expect them to play well this weekend... Johnny is going to have to do lot of running because I can't see him getting past Bama Defenders on several occasion. So expect lot of blitzes and he's going to feel it.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
LSU played a great game. They had two weeks to get ready, this game was their season, and they played like it. Didn't they start the season number 1? Mettenberger was a surprise, but as the announcers said, when we have lost a game the last few years, it was because the opposing qb played the game of his life, ie Steven Garcia etc. The whole issue was our inability to keep our offense on the field in the second half. The 3 and outs were killing me. But we found a way to get one more stop and our offense found a way to get it done. That's heart, aka "pluck and grit". Krymsonman

JAXFLBAMAFAN

All-SEC
Nov 30, 1999
Jacksonville FL
It would have been a different game had A.J. hit number 7 when he wide open in the first half for a TD. Bama would have been up 21 to 3 at the half. The fumble inside the 5 yard line on the hand off to TJ was all on A.J. he did not secure the hand off. That would have been a sure 3 or possible 7 putting Bama up 28 or 24 to 10.

Our defense was gassed due to being on the field so long in the 3rd and 4th qtr, practically no 3rd down conversions all 3 and outs until the final drive except the fumble hand off. The D played as hard as any, the blitzes were being blocked on every attempt.

Tip your hat to Chavis and planning to pick up those blitzes that gave Met time to throw. I thought KS should have called off the blitz after it failed so many times and just played nickle and covered their receivers, trying for a break up or interception.

In the 4th qtr that completion to mid field to a wide open LSU receiver I though would be a back breaker but their was no quit in our guys.

Pluck an grit gits ur done most every time.

Exposed? Naaaa just a very good game plan by LSU with some fatal flaws by the Hatter. Missed opportunites by our offense. Bama had only 1 penalty the whole game!

Lacy went off late in the 4th, hope he's okay cuz he looked strong and tough the whole game. TJ is dynamite!

Rock and Roll Tide on to the next game.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
Honestly we did get exposed, mostly on defense. Mettenberger was on target and his receivers kept getting separation. I saw a little bit of that in the game against Miss State. But LSU didn't completely expose Alabama. Saban has so many different defensive packages that he can throw something different at an opponent any time. On offense the play calling was questionable at times and LSU did a very good job of reading the offense.

And we can't forget LSU had a bye week which gave them 13 days to prepare, study film, execute plays and get mentally prepared for a fight on their home field against the team that embarrassed them in Louisiana, in the National Title Game.

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
Honestly we did get exposed, mostly on defense. Mettenberger was on target and his receivers kept getting separation.
This game felt like the 2010 South Carolina game. It was like a coming out party for Met as it was for Garcia in that game. I am not sure we were honestly exposed, we just got the bad luck of getting a QB that was able to get on a hot streak with a crowd that got into it big time.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Has a Nick Saban defense ever been permanently exposed in the past several years for an extended period of time, or were they all correctable situations that were corrected? The only area I have ever seen exposed that persisted was long range FG's.

I have more often seen inconsistent play that made areas look concerning only to be a strength down the road on defense.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida
This game felt like the 2010 South Carolina game. It was like a coming out party for Met as it was for Garcia in that game. I am not sure we were honestly exposed, we just got the bad luck of getting a QB that was able to get on a hot streak with a crowd that got into it big time.
That is true, it was very similar to Garcia in 2010. Every QB has that game where they shine and can't be stopped.

But our secondary has got beat in the open/middle more times than they should have. They leave too much space sometimes.

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
LSU had an excellent gameplan for us. It was apparent that they spent a lot time - well before the bye week - planning for our defense. The biggest problem was that their interior OL was winning their share of battles and keeping them on schedule offensively. They're really the first team in a long time that has at least had a "draw" on the battle up front. The second problem they presented is that their simplicity offensively actually made it difficult for us to affect the passer without creating liabilities on the backend. Yes, they called plenty of 2-man and 3-man patterns which should be easy to cover but the max protection made it impossible to force a pass without leaving the backend in a lot of one-on-one situations. Their level of preparedness showed in they often had the exact routes called to find the soft spots in any blitz package we executed.

They knew all our blitzes seemingly. By playing a lot of 22 personnel (2 back, 2 tight) and max protection, they limited what we could execute which certainly helped their seemingly "being in our headsets" like playcalling. I told people that Mettenburger was closer to being the QB they need than many gave credit. They gave him a lot of simple reads, the coaches kept him safe but effective playcalls, and he was mostly given the protection needed to play pitch and catch with those short stick routes and button hitches on the outside.

This was probably the finest offensive gameplan I've seen against us since the 2009 UT game - which we also won - in terms of seemingly being in Saban/Smart's heads. Other teams have been more explosive but none of them were as well prepared for blitz packages and flat out consistently finding the soft spot as last night.
Well said.

I found myself wondering at times why we didn't back off the blitz packages and drop into max coverage or double-teams, but in fairness Mettenberger had been connecting to blanketed receivers throughout the night. It was honestly a well-schemed gameplan from a coaching staff that isn't necessarily renowned for offensive prowess. And Mettenberger played well above his head.

The strategy next week will be interesting. I find it unlikely that A&M runs many two-receiver patterns in max protect, but their offensive line is very good and they get the ball out quickly. They also have a pretty mobile quarterback. Our blitzes could be equally ineffective, albeit for different reasons.

Honestly, we need a huge day from the running game next week. That's the best possible outcome.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Well said.

I found myself wondering at times why we didn't back off the blitz packages and drop into max coverage or double-teams, but in fairness Mettenberger had been connecting to blanketed receivers throughout the night. It was honestly a well-schemed gameplan from a coaching staff that isn't necessarily renowned for offensive prowess. And Mettenberger played well above his head.

The strategy next week will be interesting. I find it unlikely that A&M runs many two-receiver patterns in max protect, but their offensive line is very good and they get the ball out quickly. They also have a pretty mobile quarterback. Our blitzes could be equally ineffective, albeit for different reasons.

Honestly, we need a huge day from the running game next week. That's the best possible outcome.

Our real quarterback needs to show up, too. He and the receivers can't go off line for entire periods. Like it or not, we'll need to score more than 21 points to win against the Aggies.

Funny, AJ's first real off night of the season couldn't have come at a worse time or place, yet we still won. Amazing.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Our real quarterback needs to show up, too. He and the receivers can't go off line for entire periods. Like it or not, we'll need to score more than 21 points to win against the Aggies.

Funny, AJ's first real off night of the season couldn't have come at a worse time or place, yet we still won. Amazing.
He's playing at considerably less than 100%...

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Yes LSU did a really good job of hiding stuff from our D but I really think it had more to do with us not playing to our standard especially in 2 areas.
1. Our DB's looked lost when did you hear Vinny, Lester, Milner? Beulue mist got beat.
2. We could Not convert on 3 rd down & LSU did.

I really think we had a lot of guys hurting more than we know.

Now if we can get everyone healed up & get back to beating aTm by 30 beat Western Carolina & let everyone play, resting starters for the Iron Bowl.

Then............

Beat API by 100!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Watched the game again last night - two thoughts about Alabama in game adjustments:

* After the first half, you changed your defensive approach. You went from your base defense while rarely rushing more than 4 to a pressure defense in base. That opened up the middle in the passing game even more than is typical for this defense, which we all know is already open if the QB is patient and takes the short stuff. This allowed Zach to have a 200 yard second half and made it possible for them to convert so many 3rd downs. It helped you stuff their running game, but cost you in the passing game.

* You refused to adjust your offensive game plan when it was clear that they were keeping both safeties back to support their pass defense, and your offensive line was gashing their defensive line and linebackers. Your O-Line and TEs dominated their defensive front 7 the entire game. You expected a defensive game plan like you got in both games last year, and failed to adjust when they did something unexpected.

IMO, this is one of those rare games in which you coaching staff hurt your players. Had you stayed with your original defensive game plan, or been willing to adjust your offensive game plan, you win handily, IMO.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
IMO, this is one of those rare games in which you coaching staff hurt your players. Had you stayed with your original defensive game plan, or been willing to adjust your offensive game plan, you win handily, IMO.
the good thing for us is, you can count the number of times this has happened in the past five years with just a couple of fingers. :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
the good thing for us is, you can count the number of times this has happened in the past five years with just a couple of fingers. :)
Agree 100% - you have the best coaching staff in the country. Was not a rip, just my thoughts.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Agree 100% - you have the best coaching staff in the country. Was not a rip, just my thoughts.
oh, i know you weren't ripping on us. just trying to temper everyone worried about us being "exposed". we were also "exposed" vs utah at the end of the 2008 season. ;)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.