Question: The challenge of staying on top

oldtimetider

1st Team
Nov 16, 2008
Is it harder to stay on top than get there? (By top, I mean competing as a top 5 team in the nation on an annual or nearly annual basis.) I think the challenge is more psychological than physical...and perhaps that's what's makes it harder. Defeat has a way of sharpening the senses and creating an urgency (in competitive programs) that runaway wins do not. When your not challenged, it's nearly impossible to keep complacency from setting in...with players and coaches and fans. It's human nature. The natural tendency is to become less hungry, less focused. (LSU had that same level of focus that we had against Fla. in the 09 championship game and LSU last Jan...Both of those efforts were aided by prior losses to them.)
I think this is what makes Saban's tenure all the more impressive. The recruiting restrictions have leveled the playing field from the old days, and yet he continues to field a motivated, top tier team, year in and year out.
Remarkable.
RTR

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
When you're on top, you get everyone's "A" game. I think that has as much to do with upsets as complacency. Remember Steven Garcia?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.