LSU was "NOT" playing "PREVENT" on our touchdown drive

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
First play to Norwood, he was double covered and AJ threaded the needle.... Second play to Norwood it looked like #2 cover zone...... Third play to Norwood had man coverage with a linebacker blitz and he beat the defender with a great sideline route...... At that point, Danielson made the statement that LSU was playing Bama Soft..... The incomplete pass to Norwood in the endzone, Lsu blitzed a linebacker and it was one on one cover on Norwood with a safety help....... The touchdown play to TJ, LSU had a two linebacker blitz, plus Minter got sucked inside too far before he realized it was a screen and Warmack got in his way twice to give TJ a step on him..... After that, it was TJ alone with a couple of very good moves on two defenders with a little help from #80 at the goal......... I say all of that because The "Hatter" is taking some heat for playing prevent.... A prevent usually is 3 down linemen and 8 in soft medium coverage with two or 3 deep safeties........ I just mentioned that because of what Danielson said....... My personal take on the drive was that AJ being on the money, the Oline keeping the defense off of AJ, Norwood with some great routes, and catches, the other recievers running grat routes to pull away the other dbacks, and of course TJ, blocking on a couple of blitzes, and one great fake block on a blitz that openened the TD play up...... Team effort...... Also, the fake field goal, or the onside kick did not hurt LSU anyway as we were in a funk..... The long field goal try did not hurt them because even if he had made it, then kicked off into the endzone, we would have only started 3 yards longer on the drive...... The only really questionable call was Miles going for it on 4th down with the offense he used..... I am just tired of the excuses, especially the "prevent" angle on our drive.... RTR!!!!! I know I`m singing to the choir.....

Last edited:

CapstoneGrad06

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2006
Houston, Texas
I've argued all day on Facebook with LSU fans over this. I don't exactly recall the first few plays, but I know they blitzed on the TD pass. It was a perfect play call to use their aggressiveness against them.

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
I have been also.... It is just the whole prevent thing..... The no penalties against us which is not true..... Seems like they had one penalty that benefitted them, and the SEC office bought and paid for our win so that a league team could go to the BCSCG..
I've argued all day on Facebook with LSU fans over this. I don't exactly recall the first few plays, but I know they blitzed on the TD pass. It was a perfect play call to use their aggressiveness against them.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I have been also.... It is just the whole prevent thing..... The no penalties against us which is not true..... Seems like they had one penalty that benefitted them, and the SEC office bought and paid for our win so that a league team could go to the BCSCG..
People forget about the arm bar on Norwood that was somehow called offensive pass interference in the first quarter that made it 1st and 25 when we in shadow of their goalpost.

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
I`m sure there were a lot more missed on both teams, but that is the human element. I really thought that motion call on them when we got a fumble was bull also..... But, the game turned out perfect for the ending it had...... Although I think my two stents moved in my heart on the TD play!!!!
People forget about the arm bar on Norwood that was somehow called offensive pass interference in the first quarter that made it 1st and 25 when we in shadow of their goalpost.

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
The first play, they definitely was not playing bump and run, but it was double coverage and it took a perfect throw and catch..... Otherwise, they played their basic 4 by 3 defense with the last two plays being blitzes.... The play that Danielson called as being soft, the corner that was covering Kevin was within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage, then they faked a blitz and the linebacker went to cover 2.. The next two plays, they blitzed two backers.... I do not call that playing soft.....
not totally prevent but they were playing soft

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
The first play, they definitely was not playing bump and run, but it was double coverage and it took a perfect throw and catch..... Otherwise, they played their basic 4 by 3 defense with the last two plays being blitzes.... The play that Danielson called as being soft, the corner that was covering Kevin was within 2 yards of the line of scrimmage, then they faked a blitz and the linebacker went to cover 2.. The next two plays, they blitzed two backers.... I do not call that playing soft.....
That one play, another defender just backed off his man to help defend. I'd call giving 10 yards of cushion soft. The incomplete pass, they rushed only 4 lineman. we can agree to disagree but that was soft defense on the final drive other than the screen.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
What Danielson was wrong!!!!OmGosh! Say it aint so...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Agree with gamersfuel - it was not a "prevent" defense, but they were playing soft. The rest of the game, LSU was playing a very aggressive bump and run with both safeties back in support. On the last drive, the corners gave the Alabama recievers room - did not play the same aggressive bump and run. It allowed seperation that was not there. LSU's corners are still great, so Norwood was not "wide open", but that isn't the same as suggesting that they only rushed 3 and dropped everyone else back in a "prevent" defense.

They stayed in their base defense, but gave the receivers more room. After 3 straight completions from McCarron (who had a weak 2nd half to that point), they went back to their pressure front and bump and run man coverage which opened up the TD play to TJ. You really could not have scripted it any better.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
I`m sure there were a lot more missed on both teams, but that is the human element. I really thought that motion call on them when we got a fumble was bull also..... But, the game turned out perfect for the ending it had...... Although I think my two stents moved in my heart on the TD play!!!!
It wasn't...an LSU interior lineman flinched. You can see him rock in his stance just slightly. It wasn't the wr or motion like Danielson said, it was a lineman flinching.

Crimson Cat

FB Moderator
Nov 26, 2006
Alabama
It WAS a bad call...all in all a well called game but I thought Mett should have been called for the celebratory "cell phone" taunt in ez...

The other thing I've noticed is LSwho fans whining (I know, surprised right?) about holds...they might want to watch their own lineman, especially on a few of the third down plays.

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
They stayed in their base defense, but gave the receivers more room. After 3 straight completions from McCarron (who had a weak 2nd half to that point), they went back to their pressure front and bump and run man coverage which opened up the TD play to TJ. You really could not have scripted it any better.
That's the way I remember it as well. Haven't gone back and watched it again; but, up by 3 with less than two minutes, there's nothing wrong with that strategy. AJ had only completed 1 pass for 0 yards to that point in the 2nd half. Don't get burned for the long pass play. The three completions altered that. Worked out perfectly for us.

UAME

All-SEC
Mar 28, 2000
Tuscumbia, AL
Whether it was stereotypical "prevent" D is irrelevant. Saban said in postgame interview that Bama O practices 2-minute on Thursday then "I sit down with the QBs on Friday night and watch film on the Opponent's 2 minute Defense. LSU played it straight by their book."

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Boy!! Nothing like setting myself up to be ganged up on......:cool2:
Everyone agreed with your original post, but when you said that they did not play soft, you changed the discussion. But you started a great discussion.

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
I`m cool with it...... But, for Danielson to say they were playing 10 yards soft, which they were not, and some boogs that I know believing him, I got frustrated and brought it to the board..... LSU played back a bit on the first completion in a zone D, then they crept up more and more each play....... It was a perfect set-up for the screen to TJ.
Everyone agreed with your original post, but when you said that they did not play soft, you changed the discussion. But you started a great discussion.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.