Everybody watched the same game but walked away with differing opinions.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
I don't believe Alabama played its worst game of the year (maybe one very important player had a bad slump during most of the 2nd half).

A few things went wrong against a very good team that was playing its best game; kind of defied the odds. Too many times the DB was in as good a position as could be and then LSU would still somehow make the play. I'd say Bama played worse against Western Kentucky and Ole Miss. I'd be really upset if Bama played its worst game this late in the season against LSU.

I hated seeing Bama being 2nd and 10 everytime they would try a first down pass and then end up 3rd and 3-4 yards after a nice 2nd down run so maybe play calling could have been improved but the QB was a little off which didn't help the play calling. LSU defense was one of the few teams that hasn't loaded the box to stop Bama's run and Alabama's OL dominated the "best defensive line in the country". When the holes are as big as they were Saturday, I'd like to see more Yeldon since he seems to be better in the open field than Lacy and that's where they were ending up before LSU defenders were getting close enough to make contact.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
Kirby Smart called a poor game and overall our defensive coaches, which probably means Coach Saban as well, had a poor game plan for LSU.
I disagree. Our defense played about as well as the championship game. The difference was LSU executed much better this game. I give credit to LSU coaches and players. They ran an up=tempo offense to keep personnel groupings on the field they felt gave them the best advantage and Mettenburger executed the passing game much better than he previously has.

I think our overall game-plan was good. If we don't throw the ball with a veteran QB and receivers, we're not utilizing our offense's potential. It's the very thing most annalists felt gave us an advantage over LSU. The problem was not connecting with open receivers. JMHO :)

PS-

Everybody watched the same game but walked away with differing opinions.
--This thread bears out that observation.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I have not been any prouder, in the manner in which Bama won the game, since 1985. When Mike Shula, after being sacked at his own 12 yard line, called his final time out with 38 seconds left in the barn game. Then picked himself up, and facing 2nd and 18 with not a snowball's chance of winning the game, went and won the game!

Last edited:

BamaNBossier

Scout Team
Dec 17, 2001
Bossier
Totally agree BB

They had the ball for 39 minutes, we had 2 turnovers, they played the best game all year, and the score at half was 14 -3, and before our drive they had a 3 point lead. How did we get blown out. And as you stated, it wasnt a bad call, bad bouce, it was a 70+ yard drive with no timeout for a score,,,just make a play and you win... they couldnt...

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
I'm looking towards LSU's next game to see how much they invested in this game. To see if they have the gumption enough to stand up and play the rest of the season as hard as they played Saturday.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm looking towards LSU's next game to see how much they invested in this game. To see if they have the gumption enough to stand up and play the rest of the season as hard as they played Saturday.
My answer is no. At least from the quarterback position. Until proven wrong I think Saturday night was nothing more than a "Garcia" moment.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I think it's an example of why winning championships is so hard. So rare. There are so many undefeated teams this time of year but it seems by the end their are only two or sometimes none. It seems every team no matter how talented is going to lay and egg somewhere. When that happens they are gong to have to dig deep and win it in the end. The 2009 squad had several moments, They had to block a field goal against Tennessee, they had to just take a hammer to South Carolina and they had to come from behind against Auburn. Oddly enough the 2011 team's only real test was the regular season game against LSU. They really outplayed them but lost anyway, aside from that they pretty much wiped the floor with the rest. I guess for them the test was having faith that there was a reason to keep on fighting even though at the time it seemed their season was at a dead end.

happytidefan

All-SEC
Jul 24, 2008
Columbus, Mississippi
Wasn't Alabama in the same situation as LSU last year? I'd say Alabama had a larger mountain to climb than LSU did last year coming into T-Town. Yet all of that is dismissed by them when they are on the losing end. How convenient.
Right on the money. Mirror image, but different outcomes. Hello....if you're on the losing end, it stings no matter what! Roll Tide!

markenk

1st Team
Aug 3, 2003
England
Out of everything that's been said and heard, only two things that really matters the most.

1. Our defense is not as good as last year's, but they are one of the most resilient and has the never-quit attitude. These guys fought for the entire 60 minutes while playing almost two games worth of snaps.

2. I know AJ didn't have a good game, but he proved that he can be trusted with running this offense. Remember that 14 of our 17 points came off of two minute drives. That was all AJ running the offense, not our OC.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Out of everything that's been said and heard, only two things that really matters the most.

1. Our defense is not as good as last year's, but they are one of the most resilient and has the never-quit attitude. These guys fought for the entire 60 minutes while playing almost two games worth of snaps.

2. I know AJ didn't have a good game, but he proved that he can be trusted with running this offense. Remember that 14 of our 17 points came off of two minute drives. That was all AJ running the offense, not our OC.
I agree on all points. This is a different defense that doesn't have the same level of talent in certain areas. But it is still a top five defense in the country. No one should ever complain about that.

AJ is the real deal. No doubt. When it mattered the most he was at his best. That's what great leaders do. Play at their best when the pressure is at its highest.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I think what a lot of people forget is LSU is a Very good team.

Im just glad we came out of that place with a Win most teams don't.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
Bama played at best an average game. As CNS said in his PC most of the adversity we faced was our own doing. If AJ hits that long pass, or he and TJ don't mishandle that hand-off, IMO we go into the fourth quarter up 28-10 and it's a whole different ballgame. So just as we were "lucky" to win, LSU was "lucky" they weren't blown out.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
I think what a lot of people forget is LSU is a Very good team.

Im just glad we came out of that place with a Win most teams don't.

Yep. They are a very good team. I think if the LSU fans want to be upset about something. Rather than getting upset at how "lucky" Bama was and feeling "robbed". They ought to be upset at how god awful their offense has looked for the first eight games compared to what they saw Saturday night. How they performed Saturday night compared to the entire season is an indictment on the coaching staff. How can it be that a team have that much talent on offense and can only perform that way 1 time out of nine tries? That is what's mind boggling. That is what (IMO) they need to be more upset about.

Last edited:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think calling it a "Garcia moment" is the most telling. I started to get a bad feeling leading up to the game and it was a combination of things.

One aspect was how much it reminded me of the South Carolina game in 2010. Alabama coming off a NC, a well coached team on the other side of the field, a road game in the midst of a tough stretch, and most importantly a bye week. There are not many SEC programs that you can give an extra week to, and not end up playing a tough game. These are high paid coaching staffs and programs full of top recruits. The LSU game had an added element to it, since they had a night game (which is out of Alabama's element) and the revenge factor. As we now know, Kyle had a Garcia like game, which was completely out of character for him.

There is a little more to it though. Michigan got blown out by Nebraska, Arkansas got blown out by Texas A&M, Miss. St. got blown out by Texas A&M, etc... Several of Alabama's better looking wins didn't look so good coming into the LSU game. There were and are some untested aspects. I felt like the LSU game and the A&M game would be great measuring sticks. LSU is as physical an opponent as Alabama will play, and Texas A&M is one of the highest scoring offenses. Alabama passed the LSU test, but barely. A lot of people are forgetting the turnovers though, both of those really changed things. If Alabama doesn't fumble the ball, they might have put the game on ice. The turnovers took away Alabama's margin of error, I still feel like they were the better team.

The A&M game will be a different test, the closest we have some this far would be the Ole Miss game. I find a lot more logical reasons for Alabama to do better. It's at home, A&M doesn't have a bye, and Florida and LSU beat them. But, this is still a very dangerous game. I think we'll know of this team can beat Oregon after this game. If there are some other unexposed weaknesses in the defense, well... we might not have to worry about Oregon.

This is what I was trying to find. I couldn't comment at work, but...

What I saw was a Bama team play its worst game of the season by far, at the worst possible moment, in the worst possible place and still won. It wasn't enough that the vast majority of the 93,000+ fans was on their side or the revenge factor or Saban hatred. All those yards weren't enough. We weren't exposed as much as some want to think. LSU had all the time in the world for preparation and rest and it wasn't enough. So let think think the same thing will happen twice, and watch them get burned!

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Oh yes sir I am. I had to come out with guns-uh-blazin' Sunday morning after the game. The excuse makers were out in full force in Shreveport, LA.
Get the NW corner of the boot tied down, BB. I'll be back home to tie down the SW corner by Wednesday. Banjeaux and Cajun can rassle the toe part...

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Yep. They are a very good team. I think if the LSU fans want to be upset about something. Rather than getting upset at how "lucky" Bama was and feeling "robbed". They ought to be upset at how god awful their offense has looked for the first eight games compared to what they saw Saturday night. How they performed Saturday night compared to the entire season is an indictment on the coaching staff. How can it be that a team have that much talent on offense and can only perform that way 1 time out of nine tries? That is what's mind boggling. That is what (IMO) they need to be more upset about.
A lot of it, IMO, is due to the fact that, seemingly, the who's have succeeded in making this contest the most appealing rivalry in the SEC, if not the country. The thought makes me ill, because I can never ever lose my gag-at-orange reflex; but, they have done it, and they have done it by building a team that can play with Bama. And beating Bama is absolutely positively all they care about...sound familiar?
Remember Miles at OSU? He was able to beat the sooners a few times when very few other teams could...but those sooner-beating teams would always lose several games a year. I don't think he is able to instill a "one game at a time" mentality in the team, because he doesn't have one, and he's just too friggin goofy to act like he does. JMO

BornABamaFan

2nd Team
Nov 22, 2011
Brandon,MS
LSU had: Nothing to lose, a mindset of psycho revenge, a complete state's pride on the line, a home steak of 22 straight wins, a stolen national championship(in their minds anyway), a stolen coach (in their minds anyway), and the largest crowd to ever witness a football game in the state of Louisiana (hmmm... wonder if they wanted Bama), and a team that played every bit as well as their fans could have dreamed, and a Bama team that played no where close to perfect......... The UNITED STATES

Last edited:

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
LSU was ranked # 1 preseason, and mettenberger was supposed to be the all world answer to LSU's problems. But Because it hadn't played out that way until Saturday, all of the sudden our struggles are because we aren't as good as advertised? How about they have been a really good team that just hadn't played to potential yet, while we had our worst game, att the worst time.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.