Does AJ remind you of any NFL quarterbacks currently or in the past?

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
He's much more Ryan than Eli, no? Eli throws far too many INT's.
I know he did in college but he also had to pass it a lot more. I know then, with his o-line, that he didn't have the down and field position to throw the ball away as much as AJ.

ELI was 29 to 10 TD-INT as a senior leading his team to the Cotton Bowl. I do bet those extra 15 throws a game make a big difference in having an interception here and there. I am not sure that AJ would have had Ole Miss to the level Eli did, but it might be close?

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Aj is better at decision making than eli. Eli is hard to really judge cuz he is always compared btween 3 qbs. Brady,ben,and peyton. None of those r fair if we r being honest but his underdog story is what makes him a household qb, but can you honestly say he is as good or better than any of those names. Eli lives and dies off of a great defense and a great skill group. He is an above average qb for d pros. As for aj I think bradys is d more fair comparison cuz of his decision making,pocket precense, and ability to switch between game manager and game winner in a moment's notice

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
For me, probably Alex Smith. Same stature and style of play. Neither is really athletic, but both can make plays with their feet when they absolutely have to. Both are asked to manage the game, but capable of hitting the long pass to stretch the defense.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
But I agree that it was unacceptable to refuse a team with the 1st pick. But if you want to be as extreme as start calling out "spoiled brat" I believe there are about a good 20 in front of Eli.
And why is that? I know we are all taught to do what our elders. or the establishment says, but pro football is a job, just like any other job. What right do we have to say who anyone should go work for? If a NFL draft participant has the stones AND the power to call their own shots then I say bravo to them. You don't think the NFL owners wouldn't have crapped all over Eli, or any other player for that matter, if it was a better business decision? Pro football is a cold, cruel business, regardless of what the marketing says.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Honestly, he reminds me a lot of Eli @ Ole Miss in terms of build but Eli has more pure arm talent.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
I love AJ and he has played very well but he is nowhere close to either Eli or Peyton when they were in college.
Those guys had rockets on their shoulders and could read any defense that was thrown at them.
Again, nothing against AJ but my goodness..lol
He reminds me of Brodie more than anybody except he makes much much better decisions.
sip

I agree, he's always reminded me of Brodie. The decision making part though I'm not so sure about. Brodie played on teams that didn't have near the talent as AJ. Yeah, Brodie made some bad decisions but he had to try to make things happen. AJ doesn't... Or at least he didn't until that last drive Sat. night.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
There isn't any physical similarity, but that last drive against LSU reminded me of Joe Montana (for us old-timers). I've seen Montana direct numerous last minute, come from behind, never give up, game winning drives.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
And why is that? I know we are all taught to do what our elders. or the establishment says, but pro football is a job, just like any other job. What right do we have to say who anyone should go work for? If a NFL draft participant has the stones AND the power to call their own shots then I say bravo to them. You don't think the NFL owners wouldn't have crapped all over Eli, or any other player for that matter, if it was a better business decision? Pro football is a cold, cruel business, regardless of what the marketing says.
O.k I admit it was a terrible mistake. But have you seen "spoiled brat" behavior from Eli sense then? Even when he was grilled by the NY media for 4 years the guy always took it and went on to the next game. I know it's just a post, but I think it's inaccurate. I grew up on St. Simons and Sea Island Ga and rode to school with Davis Love III, I know how spoiled brats of rich parents behave and Eli does not behave like that. (neither did Davis :)

I know it's popular on this board to throw out the stinking zinger, but anyone that has watched Eli over the years, even his player, have never alluded to him believing he was above anyone else.

So give me some more examples other than hi fathers arrangement in the draft.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
O.k I admit it was a terrible mistake. But have you seen "spoiled brat" behavior from Eli sense then?
I haven't kept up with him as I couldn't really care less about NFL football, but yah, I'd say that sort of behavior speaks volumes about one's character. Guess I just love the 'stinking zinger' for calling it like I see it, but everyone else steps up and does what they have to do - Eli was too special to work wherever he landed.

*shrugs*

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I haven't kept up with him as I couldn't really care less about NFL football, but yah, I'd say that sort of behavior speaks volumes about one's character. Guess I just love the 'stinking zinger' for calling it like I see it, but everyone else steps up and does what they have to do - Eli was too special to work wherever he landed.

*shrugs*
I am not going to waste anymore time defending a player you admit you don't keep up with and that I really am not a fan of. Calling him a spoiled brat certainly shows no insight into him as a player, which you admit. So much so that I thought it worthy of response, especially with so many other worthy targets..geez :)

Truce.

My new guitar $100 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYFX1_RfXJ0&feature=plcp

Last edited:

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
O.k I admit it was a terrible mistake. But have you seen "spoiled brat" behavior from Eli sense then? Even when he was grilled by the NY media for 4 years the guy always took it and went on to the next game. I know it's just a post, but I think it's inaccurate. I grew up on St. Simons and Sea Island Ga and rode to school with Davis Love III, I know how spoiled brats of rich parents behave and Eli does not behave like that. (neither did Davis :)

I know it's popular on this board to throw out the stinking zinger, but anyone that has watched Eli over the years, even his player, have never alluded to him believing he was above anyone else.

So give me some more examples other than hi fathers arrangement in the draft.
I don't believe you understood what I was posting. I was not denigrating Eli Manning, or any other NFL player. I was simply questioning your assertion that Eli Manning made a mistake by bucking his draft selection. I think any NFL player that has the wherewithal to buck the NFL establishment has the rights to do that and any assertion that they are being a brat by doing so is silly. The NFL is a business, like any other. As a potential employee you should do everything in your power, legally and ethically, to enhance your position.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I don't believe you understood what I was posting. I was not denigrating Eli Manning, or any other NFL player. I was simply questioning your assertion that Eli Manning made a mistake by bucking his draft selection. I think any NFL player that has the wherewithal to buck the NFL establishment has the rights to do that and any assertion that they are being a brat by doing so is silly. The NFL is a business, like any other. As a potential employee you should do everything in your power, legally and ethically, to enhance your position.
I think I am suffering from board burnout. Time to take a break. I've had a few days off and have spent to much time posting, which can lead to a a mild form a ADHD imo.:smile:

I re-read the post and you are absolutely correct. Thanks for pointing it out.

Greg

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame

*shrugs*
I dunno audio, I can't really blame a guy for deciding where he wants to work. He has worked hard and done everything right at NY. Ultimately, I don't think there's any doubt he made the right decision for himself.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
AJ Doesn't remind me of any particular pro, he's got the height they want, his arm is good enough, he can make all the throws, His biggest flaw at this point is slight inconsistency. When he's on he's NFL all the way but most of Saturday night he was off to the point he wouldn't even make an NFL roster. He's "on" more than he is "off" but in the NFL you don't have off nights, if you do you will be introduced to the bench and forgotten. As much as I'm sure he wouldn't want to hear this and you can accuse me of self serving motives, I believe he needs another year to improve his reads and his mechanics. NFL teams have become very wary of guys leaving as juniors, too many came out early and simply were not polished enough, normally they would just develop players but QB's are too expensive to develop. The only ones who develop over time are worthless late rounders who just stick around because they are cheap and end up falling into a starting job.

BFANLC

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In a dream world
Just wanted to revisit this thread to see what people think of AJ now. To me AJ reminds me of Tom Brady.His growth the last year has been substantial. I think he is going to go off this coming year.

CrimsonForever1

3rd Team
Aug 22, 2012
I really do not understand why people have to compare AJ with anyone...... Discussion only I guess.... AJ has his own style which may or may not work in the NFL, time will tell..... To me, he has a little bit of a lot of QB`s rolled into one which makes him AJ.... As a collegiate QB, which is the only thing we have to base anything on, AJ is equally intense as he is with a coolness in the pocket to make good decisions. His mere presence on the field exudes control and confidence. Yes he has had the luxury of having a very good team around him, but he can go through his progressions very quick to find the open man, throw it out of bounds, or bring it down and run for necessary yardage. You almost never see him trying to force the issue or make a bad decision.... AJ is not the athlete say Montana was, but his decision making exudes Montana. A lot of people get disgusted over the fact that people merely call AJ a game manager. I am one who thinks that being labled a manager is a very good thing as he is running the team.... Seems to me that is that you want as a QB...... If you aren`t a good manager, it doesn`t matter how much talent you have around you.... It is really a matter of controlling the play that was sent in, or the check you have to make at the LOS to adjust to what the defense shows you.... AJ is excellent at that.... Also, whether the reciever is open or not on a out or sideline pattern, AJ almost always throws to the right spot where our reciever only has a play on the ball, and that is the toughest throw as a QB..... Go watch some replay`s of Montana..... Jerry Rice was one of the best recievers that has ever been, but the ball had to be thrown correctly in order for him to recieve it.....

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.