Where does Kirby Smart end up?

Crimson Grin

1st Team
Jan 27, 2005
Georgia
Re: where does smart end up?

I get your point, but that is admittedly far easier said than done.

When you are a DC, no matter how good you are, you are only in charge of about 40 kids and three position coaches. That's it. When you take the head job, you're in control of 85+ kids, eight coaches, it's your job to make all major recruiting decisions, coaching staff turnover decisions, speaking events, dealing with boosters and alums, constantly addressing the media, are the face of the program, etc. I don't care how good of a DC or OC you are, that's a big transition and even a lot of fine coaches fail in trying it.

I would think, given the overall strength of our program right now, that we would just poach another quality, established coach from another good program.
This^^ We are Alabama and don't have to try an unknown, with what we have only the proven best will do. When that day does come why would Alabama settle with an unknown...why?

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005

Here's one question - How many 1st time head coaches have had highly successful championship type runs in the SEC ?

I would say Phillip Fulmer , but that was unique as he had proved to be worthy while coaching the viles on an interim basis .

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

I'm beginning to get the feeling Coach Saban is grooming him to become our next HC after he retires..And I'm honestly good with that..Cause I think Coach Saban will stick around 5-7 more years..By then Coach Smart will know & understand the "Process" as good as his master..Why mess up a good thing when Coach Smart will be ready to take control when Coach Saban retires..Most folks won't like that idea & I didn't either a couple years ago..But..It's obvious Coach Smart has HC'ing material written all over him..I think it's worth giving it a try..Lets keep the "Process" going after Coach Saban retires..I have a feeling Coach Smart will do just that if giving the shot..JMO
I think if this wasn't the case that he would have taken the DC job at his alma mater. I have no doubt that he'll be Coach Saban's successor right after Coach Saban wins his seventh national title :)

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL

I'm beginning to get the feeling Coach Saban is grooming him to become our next HC after he retires..And I'm honestly good with that..Cause I think Coach Saban will stick around 5-7 more years..By then Coach Smart will know & understand the "Process" as good as his master..Why mess up a good thing when Coach Smart will be ready to take control when Coach Saban retires..Most folks won't like that idea & I didn't either a couple years ago..But..It's obvious Coach Smart has HC'ing material written all over him..I think it's worth giving it a try..Lets keep the "Process" going after Coach Saban retires..I have a feeling Coach Smart will do just that if giving the shot..JMO
That sums it up right there. RTR

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

He stays at Alabama if he gets an under the table promise of succession, which I think he will. Is he happy, is he already making more than half the head coaches......I think so.

Answer, Alabama.

And on the original post. Texas would have never let Muschamp go if they wanted him to be the next coach. I think they had a change of heart.

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

i believe he stays at Alabama until

1) Coach Saban retires and he's promoted into the HC job
2) Mark Richt leaves or is forced out at UGA

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I don't think Kirby goes anywhere. I think he stays. I think he might understand he has a pretty cushy job here that pays fairly well and some coaches are content with that.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.

Don't count me as one who is impressed with what Fisher and Muschamp have done as head coaches. Fisher is in his third year at F$U. He went 10-4 in 2010 and 9-4 in 2011 in a very, very weak ACC. He is 8-1 this year and is playing a high school schedule. I don't see anything impressive about this. Talent was not an issue when he took over at F$U. I'm not saying the team he took over had the best talent in the nation, but the cubbard certainly was not bare by a long shot. Muschamp has not made it through his second season at Florida and he went 7-6 last year.

I would not call either of these coaches a big success by any means. Both are at schools where they should win big. Neither have won any type of championship as a head coach and one of them coaches in the ACC. Sorry, I'm not impressed with either at this point. Muschamp has not beaten Georgia as a player or coach according to ESPN.

As for CKS I don't know. I think he's a great DC and recruiter. Coaching under CNS is a huge plus, but who knows what he will be like as a head coach? I would love to see him as the head coach at Alabama one day....... after he proves himself as a head football coach. I am not in favor of hiring an assistant coach as our head football coach. :)
Fisher took the schedule he was dealt, he didn't just come in and start demanding an easy schedule. Look at CNS first year at Bama, not that great but he didn't have a full cupboard to work with either. Muschamp is changing from a spread offense to more of a pro set offense and that takes time. You have to get your own people in place. 9 and 10 wins seasons ain't too shabby unless you're Bama. Just my way of thinking.

Last edited:

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

No way he goes to Ky. and hopefully not Tn., if Jimbo Fisher takes the albarn job then Smart would do good at FSU. I don't understand Fisher even considering Albarn as long as Jay Jacobs and Pat Dye are there oh yeah! and the yeller feller.
Auburn is a 'step-down' from FSU.
One of the main problems at Auburn is that the coach isn't the one pulling the strings.
At auburn the power has always been the boosters.

Auburn thinks they are a big time program and deserving of great respect. (Delusional)
I could see Auburn make a play at a lot of coaches who would not be interested.
They say they aren't interested, but Bobby Petrino may just be their man.
I said from the beginning that Tubby might be interested in going back home...
to Arkansas, not Auburn.
Kentucky might hire Mike Price. Dead end coach at a Dead end job...

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

If CKS stays till CNS retires I'd be ok with giving him a shot. This is assuming CNS coaches another 5-7 years and continues this current run of dominance. By then, CKS has 6 or 7 championship rings and has observed from the best while standing right beside him all those years on the Bama sideline.

Who else would you feel more comfortable with unless another, young CNS has risen to the top of the ranks by then?

And if that next CNS isn't obvious, wouldn't we hate to see CKS move over to Georgia and suddenly become the next CNS?

I'd be willing to take the gamble of him trying to do that at Bama! JMHOFWIW

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

Fisher took the schedule he was dealt, he didn't just come in and start demanding an easy schedule. Look at CNS first year at Bama, not that great but he didn't have a full cupboard to work with either. Muschamp is changing from a spread offense to more of a pro set offense and that takes time. You have to get your own people in place. 9 and 10 wins seasons ain't too shabby unless you're Bama. Just my way of thinking.

You were the one who said Florida and F$U are doing pretty well. :)

I've never been impressed with Fisher as a head coach. Personally I think he's gotten where he is today all because he coached under CNS. I think it's too early to say on Muschamp, but he better learn to beat Georgia if he's going to stick around at Florida.

As for the schedule Fisher coaches in the ACC. I think it's a lot easier to go undefeated in the ACC than the SEC and CNS won a national championship at Alabama in his third year. :wink: Also I think Fisher walked into a much better situation than Saban as far as the type of talent he inherited verses what Fisher walked into.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009

i believe he stays at Alabama until

1) Coach Saban retires and he's promoted into the HC job
2) Mark Richt leaves or is forced out at UGA
Kind of my feeling about it as well. I don't know diddlysquat about what is in his mind though. If he gets offered the world somewhere with a good system in place ... you never know. I am just happy he is here now and working so well with Coach Saban et al.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

Why would anyone want the Arky job? What recruiting sells pitch do you have? "Hey, come here and win! We are in the same division as Alabama, LSU, and Texas A&M!" Plus, there's not much in-state talent.
I've heard this argument a few times, but I don't buy it. Arkansauce may not register with the traditional elites, but it is certainly a better coaching opportunity than a directional school, a WAC or MAC school, or even a somewhat smaller but reasonably solid program such as Louisville or Wake Forest. Strictly as a coaching opportunity, I would rate Arkansas or even Auburn (dumpster fire that it is) above Clemson, Colorado, Boston College, and several other schools which have had some measure of success.

Fire away.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL

I could see him coming back to Bama after a HC stint somewhere else. I just don't see Bama hiring a guy with no HC experience. That did not work out so well last time. I do think CKS is going to be an excellent HC, but seasoning is necessary to handle a premier job in not only the SEC but all of college football. An ACC job or a Big 12 job could be great preparation for a return to T-town someday.

CrimsonTide13

Suspended
Aug 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
I could see him coming back to Bama after a HC stint somewhere else. I just don't see Bama hiring a guy with no HC experience. That did not work out so well last time. I do think CKS is going to be an excellent HC, but seasoning is necessary to handle a premier job in not only the SEC but all of college football. An ACC job or a Big 12 job could be great preparation for a return to T-town someday.
That would be great...

crimsonman38

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2003
Holly Pond, AL
I do not think CNS will coach another 5 to 7 years. I really think we are looking at another 2 to 3 years tops before he retires. I also think that is the reason CKS is still at Bama, because he is being groomed by the best damn coach in college football to take over a program that is on top of the world. The "PROCESS" is not only with the building of the team, but also with the building of the coaching staff. I for one hopes that CKS stays around because I think he will make one hell of a HC.

BAMAFAN IN NY

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2007
Watertown, NY
www.myspace.com
I do not think CNS will coach another 5 to 7 years. I really think we are looking at another 2 to 3 years tops before he retires. I also think that is the reason CKS is still at Bama, because he is being groomed by the best damn coach in college football to take over a program that is on top of the world. The "PROCESS" is not only with the building of the team, but also with the building of the coaching staff. I for one hopes that CKS stays around because I think he will make one hell of a HC.
What evidence are you basing this on?

crimsonman38

Scout Team
Jun 12, 2003
Holly Pond, AL
Just basing this on my gut feelings. I saw something Saturday when they were interviewing CNS and AJ after the game. I know the game was very emotional, but CNS acually teared up when AJ was speaking. I have never known CNS to do that

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.