News Article: Sugar bowl to be host of SEC-Big XII champions game

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Awesome. Glad the SEC has a clear-cut opponent in the game now rather than an at-large. Maybe we can get paired up with Texas again sometime soon.

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
So the Champions Bowl is replacing the Sugar Bowl but they're keeping the Sugar Bowl name? Lolwut? I thought it was going to be a different bowl altogether.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm guessing New Orleans/Sugar Bowl Inc. won the bidding so they decided to merge the two games. There was no way the Sugar Bowl could have survived playing second fiddle to the Champions game if it were held in New Orleans.

So when they go to the four team playoff will this just automatically be one of the semi-final games? What happens when the Sugar Bowl is not a semi-final, do they just get stuck with each league's runners-up?

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
This IS replacing the existing Sugar Bowl. The SEC/Big 12 will actually be the owners of the bowl.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
What was the point of all the hand wringing over the past few months if the only change was changing the Sugar Bowl format from SEC-BCS at Large to an SEC-Big XII match-up? Seems like a lot of wasted time to make such a small change.

What was the point of all the hand wringing over the past few months if the only change was changing the Sugar Bowl format from SEC-BCS at Large to an SEC-Big XII match-up? Seems like a lot of wasted time to make such a small change.
Because the Cotton Bowl was the other option.

As a result, Arlington looks to be a lock to host the National Championship game in the first playoff model.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Personally, the questioning of the decision comes from the earlier announcements. The press releases left the impression the game would be SEC at-large v. Big XII at-large. However, New Orleans/Sugar Bowl folks never showed willingness to lose the potential to be apart of the playoff. Of the current BCS bowls, the Sugar Bowl was not the one folks expected to not be included in the playoff.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
This is good news, who wanted to lose the Sugar Bowl name to the Champs Bowl? Who wanted to lose the tradition of going to New Orleans, especially after they have spent a 300 Million first repairing and then an awesome renovation. (It looks like the mother ship).

I am all for moving forward, but each chip at long time tradition just makes that much easier for big money to wipe the slate clean and have some sort of lower league playoff system. We need to keep these traditional bowls and have a playoff system.

I am happy that the Cotton Bowl will soon move back into it's rightful slot as a BCS Bowl, even thought it took Jerry's world to get there.

Keep the Sugar, Cotton, Orange, Rose and maybe Fiesta Bowls strong.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
All this amounts to is for the SEC and Big 12 to have an answer to the Big Ten/Pac 12/Rose Bowl relationship. Nothing more, nothing less.
But that is pretty bold considering how long all the other bowls have allowed the Rose to be special like that. The Sugar Bowl has had some real duds the past 10 years because of the picking system. The games a notch below and did have the conference tie in's had better games. Georgia vs Hawaii in the Sugar against Florida vs Michigan in the formerly name Citrus Bowl. Or Arkansas vs Texas in the Cotton Bowl. Even the formerly called Peach Bowl was usually better with the SEC ACC.

Great move and a long time coming!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
It's a little confusing. What started out sounding like a new game in a new location is now an old game in and old location. I guess I can't complain though...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.