Poll: If it were up to you, would you have the Barn fire Chizik or keep him?

If it were up to you, would you have the Barn fire Chizik or keep him?

• Fire him.

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Keep him for at least another year.

Votes: 66 86.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
Here's my thinking on it: no head coach worth his salt is going to want to touch this job with a 12-foot pole. For that matter, no successful head coach with any sort of job security is going to want to touch this job with even a 10-foot pole.

That leaves the barn with two realistic options:
- Hire as much of a "big" name coach as you can as quickly as possible, throwing the bank at them if you have two, or
- Hire a very unknown assistant coach or lower-level coordinator or head coach, trying to find a veritable diamond in the rough.

The only "big" names that could likely be enticed into taking the job would all have massive baggage of the moral, ethical, and/or NCAA-bad-list variety. Petrino? He has some major reputation problems - outside of his football prowess, of course - that could hinder his recruiting efforts. Tressel? Major, major NCAA issues there and, with the Barn's recent history, hiring him could be an open invitation for the NCAA to set up a satellite office right on the barn's campus. Who else?

As for hiring a well-known, up-and-coming coordinator or assistant coach - why would they take that job if they had any real prospects of getting any other quasi-high-profile job in the near future?

Like it or not - and regardless of whether it's true or not - the national perception is that the Barn quite literally bought their 2010 National Championship, and got lucky in more than a couple games to do it. With that one stellar season sandwiched by mediocrity, the national perception is that the Barn cannot be an elite-level team without cheating. And, last but not least, the national perception is about to become - if it hasn't already - that both the fans and the administration at the Barn have very unrealistic expectations and an itchy trigger finger.

If someone comes in with any sort of reputation problem, everyone that recruits against them will have an almost limitless stockpile of ammunition to use against them regarding the possibility of NCAA sanctions. Combine the recent, large number of incidents involving Barn players getting in trouble with the law with the article just released about the Barn hiring a security company to keep their players in line and any sensible parent could easily be given plenty to worry about regarding their child's safety if they chose to attend school there.

Having both a BCS Title and a Heisman Trophy winner in the past three or four years should be a great recruiting tool. At this point, though, no one is going to be able to sit there with a straight face if and when a Barn recruiter sits in their living room telling them that they'll be playing for a Championship - of any sort - within the next couple of years. Over the past four years, the Barn's recruiting tactics have changed to accommodate two completely different styles of play on offense. No matter what offense any new coach wants to run, they won't have a roster-full of players that can run it. With all the attrition that's gone on down there at the plains, they'll be lucky to have a third of a roster than can run it. Plus, with all of the positions that look to be open this off-season, the Barn will have a lot of competition for pretty much any coach they want to hire. And it's a competition at which they'll usually be at a disadvantage, even being in the SEC - or especially being in the SEC, depending upon how you look at it.

This is, quite simply, a no-win situation for the boogs. However, I think they've made the wrong choice if they are indeed firing Chizik. They've crashed and burned over the past two seasons like no team has ever crashed and burned before. And they're greedy, so they're firing Chizik to try to bring in a coach to turn things around and get results next year and/or in 2014.

What they should have done is to sacrifice next season, and maybe the one after that, while mandating that the Barn focus mostly on defense in recruiting and running as much of a ball-control offense as possible. They certainly wouldn't be competing for a shot at going to Atlanta during those two years but, hey, there's not much of a chance of that happening no matter who they bring in. What it would do is make the Barn more competitive overall - still losing a lot of games but losing close games when they do. And, given how bad this season was, there's no way to go but up - even for Chizik. Then, even during next season, they could start looking for the absolute best, most fitting, "big" name coach they can find and take their time in both the search for and the courtship of that coach. At that point, farther away from the BCS Title and the Cam scandal, the Barn's suddenly soiled reputation would have had some time to recover. They would also be able to sell an "improving" team to the new coach. Even though they may have only gotten 5 or 6 wins next season and 7 or 8 wins the season after that, that would still be visible, empirical improvement. Instead of having to sell a coach on resurrecting a pile of wreckage from the sea floor right now, they could be selling a coach on taking an already climbing team back to the mountain-top. If they were able to do that and bring in a top-flight coach for 2015, they could conceivably get a 10 win season in 2015 or 2016.

By firing Chizik, now, they will be painting themselves into a corner where their ceiling is going to be 8 or 9 wins for the next 5 or 6 years, at least.

They're making a big mistake. For some odd reason, though, I can't say that I'm sorry they're making it. :biggrin:

DocCrimson

All-SEC
Jan 3, 2010
East TN
^^^ This. I absolutely agree. As a Bama fan, I look forward to watching them flounder for another year before they make a hire, but as uafan explains, it really is their only safe decision. The perception of cheating may be less of an issue for many coaches, but the unrealistic expectations will destroy their ability to get a great coach unless they pony up an even bigger severance package than what Chizik has. They're going to bet the farm (almost literally) on a questionable hire at a questionable time. Petrino is a good schemer (in more ways than one) but I can't imagine any parents feeling comfortable sending their children to AU with him at the reins. Even with him, or another solid coach...no matter who inherits this team... they're not going to win more than 6-7 games for the next 2 years. Might as well save some money, earn some respect for "sticking with" Chizik and go for broke when most of the upper-level programs are staying put with their coaches. That said, the idea of another year of Chizik at the Barn would be SO MUCH FUN!

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Personally I like him being there. He's never won without Cam who was just a freak of a ball player. I could have coached them to the NC. Professionally speaking, he would have gotten fired after last season.

FitToBeTide

All-American
Aug 19, 2001
St. Florian
JMHO, but if it were my call to make that decision for the U. of Auburn, I would, to save some money, dump Jacobs, move Chizik to AD, letting his buyout reduce some more. Hire the best up and coming successful coach from a smaller conference, for instance Mark Hudspeth, HC of U. of La La. It moves Chizik out of hands on coaching the team, Jacobs is out of commission and pleases the unwashed masses and saves some money along the way. Hud will succeed wherever he goes, I think.

As a Bama fan: keep him.

Last edited:

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
JMHO, but if it were my call to make that decision for the U. of Auburn, I would, to save some money, dump Jacobs, move Chizik to AD, letting his buyout reduce some more. Hire the best up and coming successful coach from a smaller conference, for instance Mark Hudspeth, HC of U. of La La. It moves Chizik out of hands on coaching the team, Jacobs is out of commission and pleases the unwashed masses and saves some money along the way. Hud will succeed wherever he goes, I think.
That sounds like a pretty good plan. However, let's look at it from Hudspeth's perspective. :)

First, he's already coached - as an assistant - in the SEC at Mississippi State. He runs an offensive system that isn't at all that different from what Mullen runs at Mississippi State. So, he knows first hand how difficult it is to run that type of offense in the SEC. He is an offensive guy, though, so his ego may make him think that he can do it better. :) But he would also know that the Barn just abandoned a spread-type system in order to move to more of a power football system, after having more and more limited success with the spread system. As a result, the locals - fans and/or admin - may pressure him to run a different system than what he would prefer. In addition, the last couple of recruiting classes have been full of guys not suited to run his system.

Tack on the stuff I said previously regarding the current perception of the Barn and their unrealistic expectations and it's not an automatic that Hudspeth would take the job, even though it's a decently sized "name" school in the SEC and Hudspeth has only 5 or 6 years, I think, of D1 football experience.

If I were Hudspeth, and the Barn came calling, I would do a couple of interviews and use the opportunity to get my name out there as someone that major schools are interested in. Then, I turn them down. I coach another year where I'm at which, hopefully, will be another good season and my stock will climb even more - especially after having been courted by an SEC school. At that point I'll probably have my pick of two or three jobs at major D1 schools whose football teams are in much better shape than the Barn's right now.

Sure, he could take the job at the Barn, being the first big job that comes along. Of course, he should realize that if he does that and tanks then it could severely hurt his career choices down the road. Waiting a year and taking a better job, though it might mean less money in the short term, would most likely be the better career choice overall.

OldNo7

BamaNation Citizen
Dec 7, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Well, as a concerned citizen, I feel I would first need to coordinate with the City of Opelika police department to determine if the jails can accommodate another year of Chiz-ipline on the plains. If they have some empty cells and enough officers, I don't see why I would need to fire anyone since everything is going so well. Chizik has done a wonderful job of getting rid of all of the sidewalk bandwagon fans. The fambly is a much more manageable size now!

Really, though, as someone previously mentioned, he's had mostly good seasons over there, especially by their standards. Sure, most of it was someone else's doing. But I think the smart thing (read: the thing they will NOT end up doing) to do would be to keep him for another year to (1) bring his buyout figure down and (2) buy themselves some more time to hire a quality coach. If they dump him now, they're going to have to make a desperate hire who either (1) will suck worse than what they've got now or (2) will cost more than they can afford or (3, glorious 3) both.

Looking forward to seeing Buzz Lightyear on the sidelines again next year...if any of their games make it on tv.

GCtidefan

1st Team
Sep 23, 2010
Adger, AL
If I'm a BOT member:
"The last thing I need is another leech taking money from my pocket. Keep the man so I don't have to sell my daughter (again)."

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
If he is gone, you have to wonder how this effects Auburn's recruiting class. Will their blue chips turn out to be more TJ Yeldons (not specifically switching to Bama, but you know what I mean)? This will have much bigger implications than just a new coach.

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
I voted to fire him based on the assumption I'm on the BOT.
My reasons would be lack of integrity, incompetence, and lack of control.

In fact, I would've fired him months ago, when his players committed the home invasion.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
He is a winner it's his DC& OC that need to go.

He had a bad year that's all.

Besides what would make any coach want to go to API? They are dang lucky to have him.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
It really depends on when, not if, the PTB decides to unload Chizik. Whomever is charged with making the decision should decide on whether to take the fall out now or later. Recruiting, money, public opinion will take a hit; it just depends on when they want to take it. Essentially cut your losses now or later. Chizik's problems go beyond his W-L record, he has no discipline and IMO has lost this team. The fan base has shown its lack of support by not showing up. The only advantage I can see in keeping him another year is maybe this time next year there will be a better selection of coaches available.

jdatide

1st Team
Nov 15, 2007
Carlisle, OH
As much as I would like to see him stay on the plains forever, it has to be about money. Is he making money or losing money for the barn? Judging by ticket sales (or at least attendance) and the incredible dropoff in sales of merchandise (unless it is being purchased and stored for posterity) he's gone. A new coach, regardless of potential, will sell tickets and t-shirts. For a while.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We have it on good authority from no less than the pant-less Pat Dye,
Cheese Dip is worth 10 Coach Sabans. ;)

I had the dubious distinction of talking with some of the previous Auburn Blow-hard's today...
Their informed opinions were that Gene Chizik is a good man...
They don't want to talk about what kind of coach he is.
I know that Billy Graham is a 'Good man', I know he's got kinda long in the tooth,
but if good man is the criteria, BG may just have his 'Pine Box Job'...
Pun intended, but not at Billy Graham.

Last edited:

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I would have to give him another year but if you look at Auburn historically they probably won't.

Bowden inherited a probation ridden program coming off back to back 5-6 seasons and won his first 20 games followed by three consecutive bowl appearances and a record of 47-17-1. Started 1-5, one bad season. Gone.

Tubberville ..85-40, three division titles, one SEC Championship, beats Bama six times in a row. One 5-7 season. Gone.

Chizik...well with only one national title and two bowl appearances in four years he probably doesn't have a chance.

There's an old saying..."Get greedy you get burnt"

Auburn is proving it to be true.

sip

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
If it's my school and I'm going to have to pay the guy regardless of whether he stays or goes, I'm going to keep him. I'm not keeping him as coach, mind you. I'm going to transfer him completely out of the athletics department and into another department, such as maintenance. I think I'll put him in charge of cleaning the toilet paper off the trees at Toomer's corner. How many people will he have under him in that department? None. He'll be the department... :biggrin2:

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I do not know the financial details, so I can't say. I don't know all the legal wrangling that might be going on right now either.

If they get rid of Chizik and his coaching staff they are out OVER 7.5 million and they would have rid themselves of a NC winning coach. What is left in the bank to hire a new coach and how many coaches will walk into this situation knowing that two years removed from a NC you can get fired, or that can go 47-16 over a five year stretch and still get run out of town? They will fire you if you don't go to a bowl game, that's a tall order.

Any new deal with a coach is likely to not be huge financially, but most of that will be guaranteed. At least that's how I'd play it. Auburn can only have so much left to offer a coach, and the coach they do land will likely demand a big guarantee on that money to offset the lower wages. Basically, if I was headed to Auburn my concern would be that they would fire me after 2 or 3 years.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Well, its not like they have to write a big check all at once. chizik get $7,5000,000, but that is payable over three years, which would be around $200,000 a month. And if he gets another job, the salary he gets from that would be deducted from his buyout, I imagine the others have the same deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.