Why wasn't Saban more involved on that last series?

TIDEnGA

All-American
Sep 25, 2007
Opelika, AL
In post game show Saban said something to the effect of disagreeing with passing on 1st and goal. What?! He said we should have power run it. What?!

He agreed with or actually called the 4th and 2 but made it clear Nuss called the 1st down call. He even said we were acting like we were in rush rush mode when we weren't. Why wasn't he more involved from the get go?

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Head coaches really have to put a lot of trust in their coordinators and not micromanage during the games or it leads to a lot of problems.

I am surprised that Saban didn't take the opportunity during halftime to put Nuss into a more of a run-first type of mode.

TENNTIDE1

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Bartlett, Tn. U.S.A.
I don't know much about Nuss except he was highly regarded as an OC when he was hired. Has he coached in the SEC before and does he understand smash mouth football? The last two games we have played our offense has not looked good at all and we have had way too many 3 and outs and turnovers. This is not what got us to championship games. We are not wearing other teams down, we are wearing our defense down.

Having said that, our defense has looked horrible tackling in the last two games. Too much arm tackling, it reminded me of past defenses under other coaches. We normally stop people in their tracks and move the pile backwards, but not the last two games. We have had players in position to make a tackle for a loss, only to fail to get them on the ground and give up a lot of yards after contact.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I don't know much about Nuss except he was highly regarded as an OC when he was hired. Has he coached in the SEC before and does he understand smash mouth football? The last two games we have played our offense has not looked good at all and we have had way too many 3 and outs and turnovers. This is not what got us to championship games. We are not wearing other teams down, we are wearing our defense down.

Having said that, our defense has looked horrible tackling in the last two games. Too much arm tackling, it reminded me of past defenses under other coaches. We normally stop people in their tracks and move the pile backwards, but not the last two games. We have had players in position to make a tackle for a loss, only to fail to get them on the ground and give up a lot of yards after contact.
The defense in first half really surprised me. A little better in the second half.

WaterWoman

1st Team
Nov 25, 2011
On behalf of our defense, we took a beating with the NFL draft this spring. This is supposed to be our rebuilding year on that side of the ball. They have still done a great job. Just ran out of steam this week.

TENNTIDE1

1st Team
Nov 14, 1999
Bartlett, Tn. U.S.A.
We have a good OC, folks.

Take it easy on him.
I don't think I'm being overly hard on the OC. If we were completing those passes we would think he is the best OC ever. I don't know about the stats, but it seems as though we have really struggled on 3rd down conversions on both sides of the ball in the last two games. I'm not even discussing the turnovers and penalties. Sheeesh.

The OC doesn't have to worry about me. If CNS is happy, I am thrilled to death, but I don't think CNS is happy with either side of the ball in the last two games, IMO.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
We did seem in rush mode, I was going nuts because we snapped the ball with 15 seconds left on the play clock and as soon as I seen we were throwing on 1st down I told my old man we were DONE. There is no way I would have thrown 3-1 that close to the endzone with Lacy and Yeldon.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Funny we want more involvement with our HC and FSU want's an OC.

Last edited:

PCBamafan

3rd Team
Oct 18, 1999
Panama City, Fl
If we run the ball 4 straight times, we win! PERIOD!

But if AJ doesn't underthrow Bell, he scores easily!

But if we don't get behind 20-0 to a good team, we win!

It goes on and on!

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Bah we should have run the ball down their throats on that last series. Why didn't we do that? I don't get it. :mad2: :banghead: :cuss:
Because Nussmeyer wanted to see how fans react on message boards after games? :)

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006
In post game show Saban said something to the effect of disagreeing with passing on 1st and goal. What?! He said we should have power run it. What?!

He agreed with or actually called the 4th and 2 but made it clear Nuss called the 1st down call. He even said we were acting like we were in rush rush mode when we weren't. Why wasn't he more involved from the get go?
Maybe I mis-understood Saban but, I thought he was saying he disagreed with the pass b/c it didn't work since that is what the media wanted him to say. He also said had we run and it didn't work he woulda disagreed. Seemed like he was getting mad with the 2nd guessing, arm chair QB media.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I seem to recall that Coach McElwain had a game or two like this back in 2010. He turned out alright and so will Coach Nuss. Our staff and players will learn from this and be better for it. You watch--we will kick their little aggie fannies next Sept.

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012
I like what Nuss has done so far on the season, especially improving our red zone percentage (not sure if the stats have changed since this game). I'm sure he will be a good/great OC for us. However, whoever was responsible for the playcalling in this game, I really didn't understand it, for two reasons:

1) It was obvious early in the game that we could run the ball effectively and wear down A&M's defense, but we didn't really commit to doing that, and
2) AJ (and probably Cooper too) is pretty obviously more injured than has been let on, to the point where the passing game just isn't trustworthy right now. We know our QB is an accurate passer, and we know our receivers are very talented. When they are repeatedly missing throws, it's obvious that something is wrong, and they need a break (especially in light of point #1).

Neverending

Suspended
Nov 19, 2011
If we run the ball 4 straight times, we win! PERIOD!

But if AJ doesn't underthrow Bell, he scores easily!

But if we don't get behind 20-0 to a good team, we win!

It goes on and on!
Yep. Shoulda, coulda, wouldas

People are going to drive themselves crazy. Time to move on

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.