Problems with our defense past two games

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Our defense from last season would have not fared much better.
Earlier I was thinking just the opposite. I think having a real 'stud' on D would make a huge different (Hightower, Barron, Upshaw). This team doesn't seem to have one. I think last year's D would have fared better.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I've "heard" for several years now that CNS' defense doesn't produce many sacks from the defensive line. But I've got to say. We really, really need to get better at developing players who can penetrate the backfield on passing downs. We just cannot expect our secondary to cover that long. I know natural pass rushers don't grow on trees and in many cases it is an art rather than something taught. But you'd think as much talent as we recruit on the defensive side of the ball we'd luck up and hit one every few years. But seems like we can't get one.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
You make a valid point about about our lack penetration has really hurt us as well..That's the reason we've seen open WR's all year long..The longer the QB is able too hold the ball..It's impossible for our DB's to keep the WR's from getting open..What do you think needs to be done to improve our DLine penetration Earle..
Recruit...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Earlier I was thinking just the opposite. I think having a real 'stud' on D would make a huge different (Hightower, Barron, Upshaw). This team doesn't seem to have one. I think last year's D would have fared better.
Upshaw & Hightower would have helped a lot.
I agree 100% with both of ya..This years D just doesn't seem like we have anyone that's truly stepped up into the leadership role like Barron, Rolo, Hightower, Javy did in the last few years..

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Our defense from last season would have not fared much better. What I wouldn't give to see TR back at RB. Or even Julio Jones at the WR.

We had Barron and Kirkpatrick in the backfield. We would have not been getting some of those passes on us. Not to mention Upshaw and Hightower. Remember milliner and Mosley were out there too. So a much more experienced defense.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
We are a tired team. That's banged up and knicked up, it's affecting our performance.
We haven't penetrated after their QB as reliably as we did earlier in the season...
On Offense our line didn't hold blocks long enough and our OL didn't get any push
that would assist our backs...
Earlier in the year, we intercepted passes, not in the last two weeks...
Earlier in the year we caused fumbles and recovered them to work a short field...
Earlier in the year we had a stronger return game...
Each of these observations may be attributed to a tired/injured team.

Last observation... Our schedule is weighted toward the end of the season.
Face it, LSU is a hard hitting quality team, TAMU is a hard hitting quality team and very fast also...
I'm sad that we lost. I'm sad that AJ had interceptions. I'm sad that TJ fumbled.
Face it, the first pass intercepted bounced off our receiver before it was intercepted.
The second pass intercepted was AJ trying to force it.
You go to the well too often and you may get wet.
On replay I saw TJ getting hit in the back and another player strip the ball.
(I saw a great play by TAMU)
I would like to see a true list of our players who played with injuries... It would be a long list.

Now we need to work some on fundamentals, but mostly we need to rest our 1s and 2s,
and get them healed up. We need to play our remaining games like each was
the BCS Championship.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Any truth that some elite DE's have been reluctant to sign because of the misconception that DE's in the 3-4 are essentially gap fillers?
Yes. That's been used against us. In reality, we're a hybrid 4-3 defense in the majority of downs, particularly when passing. There'd be plenty of room for a Clowney, but it's been used successfully...

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I think a combination of several things including the last two teams we've played could probably whip any team in the nation. We are probably banged up and tired, more so than we as fans are aware of and in need of a break. The season still isn't over, we sort of get an easy game next saturday and can play more people to give a break to those banged up. We could have won this game tonight but for a few variables like fumbles, interceptions and very good passes by A&M., I don't think we need to hang our heads and perceive this season over with. We still gotta play the barn and Jawja. RTR
don't buy that we are tired bit. TAMU is playing 9 weeks straight w/o a bye. 3 of their last 4 games on the road. thin at depth esp. on their defensive side.

we are banged up, but so is everybody else.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
Yes. That's been used against us. In reality, we're a hybrid 4-3 defense in the majority of downs, particularly when passing. There'd be plenty of room for a Clowney, but it's been used successfully...
Earl, honestly having an elite pass rusher would help, but its not the only remedy for the defense this year.

the 2012 defense is good , just not great. we got spoiled the last 4 years. we also didn't have to face JFF until now.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
We are a tired team. That's banged up and knicked up, it's affecting our performance.
respectfully disagree. don't buy that we are tired bit. its been used out of covenienve too many times.... TAMU is playing 9 weeks straight w/o a bye. 3 of their last 4 games on the road. thin at depth esp. on their defensive side. Bama has one of the best SC coach and program in the nation.

chuxlee

3rd Team
Dec 6, 2008
Saban recruits great, but even he would say that he has missed out on a few dynamic pass rushers. Our offense has not helped at all being pass happy, and getting away from ball control. We need to get taller and faster in the defensive backfield. That being said, we lost a game, its very hard to win them all. I was really hoping for a repeat.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Any truth that some elite DE's have been reluctant to sign because of the misconception that DE's in the 3-4 are essentially gap fillers?
That's really accurate , but the alignment is being used less and less each year . Probably no more than 12-15% .

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
I think this has been key the past two games. This creates a tired defense. AJ was just off enough in the past two games to help contribute to early two-and-outs. That along with some curious play calling.
Bingo. It isn't just our defense making some mistakes. Our philosophy is to control the clock with a ground oriented offense and to smother the opposing offense and get off the field quickly. We haven't done either of those things the last two games. My brother keeps saying we should run the two minute offense all the time. I try to tell him that the score would then be 60-49 instead of 29-17, which it was at the time, but he won't listen. Our defense would not look nearly as bad the last two games if the offense would not have had so many three and outs. The offensive and defensive game plans have to go together. It is the same reason that fast paced offensive teams never seem to have good defenses. It is just really tough to have opposing philosophies on offense and defense and have them both work. Our defense is great when they are on the field for 50 plays, but we fall off when we are on the field for 70 or more.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
respectfully disagree. don't buy that we are tired bit. its been used out of covenienve too many times.... TAMU is playing 9 weeks straight w/o a bye. 3 of their last 4 games on the road. thin at depth esp. on their defensive side. Bama has one of the best SC coach and program in the nation.

I agree. There isn't a coach in the nation who doesn't wish he had our depth. Every team is tired and banged up in November.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama

Agree sjc what team isn't tired or banged up. IMO we have had a very soft schedule until the last two weeks and had not faced a team with much of an offense. We have now played 2 upper echelon SEC teams and we are 1-1.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.