Problems with our defense past two games

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
I wanted to ask the most knowledgable people I know because I don't know much about it.

Our d played lights out for the majority of the season, and then the past two weeks they look like deer in headlights sometimes. They cannot tackle, or get off the field on third down. So what is going on? Injuries, youth just now showing up, etc.? I know that LSU and AM played awesome, and we turned the ball over, but I'm just used to our d being lights out regardless of opponent.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
I think a combination of several things including the last two teams we've played could probably whip any team in the nation. We are probably banged up and tired, more so than we as fans are aware of and in need of a break. The season still isn't over, we sort of get an easy game next saturday and can play more people to give a break to those banged up. We could have won this game tonight but for a few variables like fumbles, interceptions and very good passes by A&M., I don't think we need to hang our heads and perceive this season over with. We still gotta play the barn and Jawja. RTR

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'll take a stab at it. I don't think its just one thing. I think if you look back it has been several things.

-Inability to consistently pressure the quarterback. Even when we bring all out blitzes. At least last year Hightower and/or Upshaw could get to the quarterback.

-Our staff and players not adjusting to higher tempo offenses. LSU worked this almost to perfection. When teams pick up the pace our entire team and staff seems to go into shell shock mode. We better get used to playing against these type game plans. Especially now since everybody sees it causes us problems.

-Just bad tackling in open space. Against LSU there were one on one situations for our players to make the tackle and they either missed a tackle or got drug across the first down marker.

-Just a drop off in talent right now. There's no Barron, Kirkpatrick, Hightower, Dareus or Upshaw on the field for us right now. Not saying we won't have some guys develop into these type players. But right now we ain't got'um.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Bamabuzzard summed it up perfectly.

I'd also add that the quick 3 and out series by the offense has allowed the opposing offenses to get into a groove.

In previous games, the offense worked well enough to keep the opposing offenses off the field enough that it was hard to build up any rhythm.

Last edited:

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
I was concered with parts of our D after the Michigan game. These last two weeks I attribute to the fact that the we simply did not play very good teams prior to LSU.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The missed tackles are a glaring problem right now. I attribute the hurry up offenses to that. When a team hurries up, Bama gets flustered (or as Buzz rightly said "shell shock mode"). In the process of trying to figure out the correct assignment, the players start making mistakes, missed tackles in particular.

pyro

Suspended
Nov 9, 2004
Winchester TN
To be fair I think I can say A@M got at least somewhat "lucky" with there passing attack in the first quarter. Ex- Jhonny fumbling the football then recovering it.

Also its kinda of an offense Alabama hasnt seen in a while.

Besides that Bamabuzzard hit the nail on the head.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'll take a stab at it. I don't think its just one thing. I think if you look back it has been several things.

-Inability to consistently pressure the quarterback. Even when we bring all out blitzes. At least last year Hightower and/or Upshaw could get to the quarterback.

-Our staff and players not adjusting to higher tempo offenses. LSU worked this almost to perfection. When teams pick up the pace our entire team and staff seems to go into shell shock mode. We better get used to playing against these type game plans. Especially now since everybody sees it causes us problems.

-Just bad tackling in open space. Against LSU there were one on one situations for our players to make the tackle and they either missed a tackle or got drug across the first down marker.

-Just a drop off in talent right now. There's no Barron, Kirkpatrick, Hightower, Dareus or Upshaw on the field for us right now. Not saying we won't have some guys develop into these type players. But right now we ain't got'um.
All pretty much correct. Also, we have people playing who are just not well enough to be playing, but they have to because there's just too much drop-off in ability behind them. Some of them are really key people, also. One of the key components in any championship run is injury luck and we just haven't had it this year. I had to chuckle at your use of the verb "drug." It's an old Germanic strong verb (meaning it just doesn't add "ed" to form the past tense). In German, it's still strong - "Trag," "Trug." In English, it's in transition to weak, which is the normative mode for strong verbs. In most of the country, it's become "dragged," but in the South, "drug" still holds on..

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Too be honest..Our D has shown a weakness in coverage every game this year..There's been open WR's all year long against our D..Texas A&M & LSU were the 1st teams that took advantage of our secondary coverage with QB's that could get the ball to their open WR's..Our inability to get out 3rd down these last 2 games were because of that exact reason..

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
I'd also add that the quick 3 and out series by the offense has allowed the opposing offenses to get into a groove.
I think this has been key the past two games. This creates a tired defense. AJ was just off enough in the past two games to help contribute to early two-and-outs. That along with some curious play calling.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa
I'll add that IMO Our defensive philosophy and use of packages really has hurt the last two weeks. Lsu's style kept Mosley ( our best defender) off the field too much last week. And tonight we struggled getting personnel in at times. Running players on and off like that only contributes further to the fatigue they got from a&m 's frenic offense. It's who we are and what we do but its hurt the last two weeks

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Too be honest..Our D has shown a weakness in coverage every game this year..There's been open WR's all year long against our D..Texas A&M & LSU were the 1st teams that took advantage of our secondary coverage with QB's that could get the ball to their open WR's..Our inability to get out 3rd down these last 2 games were because of that exact reason..
I think I posted earlier that a staff member told a close friend of mine that, if we lost just one DB, we were not going to be in play for the NCG. Well, that happened tonight and I thought the replacement stepped up and gave a good account. In fact, I thought - won't re-watch until tomorrow - that the lack of a real penetrating rusher was more at fault than our DBs. (Any DB is toast after five seconds or so.) On offense, AJ is playing really hurt. I don't think that should be a real surprise to anyone...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think I posted earlier that a staff member told a close friend of mine that, if we lost just one DB, we were not going to be in play for the NCG. Well, that happened tonight and I thought the replacement stepped up and gave a good account. In fact, I thought - won't re-watch until tomorrow - that the lack of a real penetrating rusher was more at fault than our DBs. (Any DB is toast after five seconds or so.) On offense, AJ is playing really hurt. I don't think that should be a real surprise to anyone...
After some rough plays, Jon Fulton turned into 2009 Marquis Johnson.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'll add that IMO Our defensive philosophy and use of packages really has hurt the last two weeks. Lsu's style kept Mosley ( our best defender) off the field too much last week. And tonight we struggled getting personnel in at times. Running players on and off like that only contributes further to the fatigue they got from a&m 's frenic offense. It's who we are and what we do but its hurt the last two weeks
I don't think it hurt, because we did each sub in response to an offensive substitution of theirs - and we took our own sweet time in doing it. That's our right under the rules and we slowed the game down measurably in doing it...

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
In fact, I thought - won't re-watch until tomorrow - that the lack of a real penetrating rusher was more at fault than our DBs. (Any DB is toast after five seconds or so.)
Agreed 100%. The lack of a penetrating rusher is causing us to blitz safeties and leave the secondary more exposed. I'm really surprised that even the blitzes haven't always resulted in much pressure the last couple of games.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
I'll add that the 2012 dime groupings are not quite as fast as has been the case in recent seasons . That said , a consistent pass rush would help the DB's out a LOT .

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
You make a valid point about about our lack penetration has really hurt us as well..That's the reason we've seen open WR's all year long..The longer the QB is able too hold the ball..It's impossible for our DB's to keep the WR's from getting open..What do you think needs to be done to improve our DLine penetration Earle..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.