Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Notice that if these offenses have a negative play on first down they do not go hurry up. Obviously, it's easier said than done many times, but a good way to slow them down is to get a sack or incompletetion on first down. That is the time to bring a blitz. Throws off the offense's rhythm big time.
Which is why they go with super safe plays on first down. Over and over aTm threw that 4 yard hitch to Swope. We never really adjusted.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Which is why they go with super safe plays on first down. Over and over aTm threw that 4 yard hitch to Swope. We never really adjusted.
Asked yesterday why we didn't jump those routes or jam the WRs. The answers in the thread answered why Bama didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

TideLegacy

Scout Team
Nov 22, 2005
Dallas, TX
Originally it was brought into the college game so teams with inferior personnel could gain some type of advantage over the defense. Now, even upper level teams with good to great talent (A&M, OU, Oregon, Ok. State) run it as well.

Bama has an elite defense, no doubt. But it is a defense that relies on disguising pressure packages, disguising coverages, showing the offense one look and shifting at the last second to a different look, and getting the correct personnel on the field to match what the O is showing with their personnel package, on top of being bigger, faster, and more physical at the point of attack.

ALL OF THAT is negated with a hurry-up no huddle offense. The O gets the play in, gets to the line of scrimmage, and it is go time, so the D needs to be able to play the next down with the defenders they have on the field, for the most part, and needs to be able to get their calls in quickly, and they don't really have time to shift or disguise their intent. It really is NOT sand-lot ball, it is just "our 11 vs. your 11" and makes the defense be a "read and react" defense out of necessity. All great defensive minded teams, their coaches and fans always say they want the defense to dictacte to the offense. That is not possible against an offense like A&M ran Saturday in Tuscaloosa. And the offense has the advantage as they know what play they are running and where the ball is going, the defense does not.

Oklahoma State takes this to the extreme, or has in the past when they had an experienced QB as they would not even substitute their O personnel if the play ended within 15 yard of the line of scrimmage.

A&M substituted a good amount on Saturday, and the Umpire correctly stood over the ball so Bama could substitute their personnel package - which still didn't leave a whole lot of time to get the call in and get the defense set. If A&M has substituted less it would have been an even bigger problem for the Tide defense. Though I thought the Bama D played well overall after the initital onslaught, if A&M makes that missed FG and Manziel gets that extra yard on 4th and 1 that game may not have been so close in the waning moments.

The answer is the same as it has always been in football, DL has to get pressure, but the LBs need to be a little smaller and a little faster and the 11 you have on the field to defend 1st and 10 better be able to be the same 11 on the field to defend 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 1.

Personally I don't like the term "spread offense", in the NFL when the Saints, Packers or Patriots throw it 55 times and run it 12 times they call it football, they don't call it "the spread". A&M had a commitment to run the ball and ran play-action, that is not like the crazy "spread" offense Mike Leach ran/runs - he wouldn't run the ball if the defense was 1 DL and 10 DBs 7 yards off the line of scrimmage.

I don't like it, but it is what it is. I prefer low scoring defensive games, and think the forward pass should be out-lawed!!

Last edited:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
When they spread you out, the defenders have a lot of one on one in space and it is much harder to tackle in space. Also, the short passes become long handoffs with 80% completion on those throws.

cooleddie

1st Team
Jul 27, 2003
pensacola,fl
What I saw was that they almost always handed the ball off on first down and they gained positive yardage. Though it was only 2-3 yards, they were in a 2nd and 7 or 8 situation. We rarely stopped the RB for negative yards. As soon as the chains moved and the refs blew the whistle they would snap it. Our D linemen were never really set. Then they would run the slant or quick hitch plays for 3 or 4 yards and that set them up for a manageable 3rd and 3 or 4 yards. On third down, Johnny Football could pick it up with his feet or pass it. It seemed to be the same pattern for the first half.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Asked yesterday why we didn't jump those routes or jam the WRs. The answers in the thread answered why Bama didn't.
Yeah, they nickel and dime us until they hit the big one. Never really had us knocked-down or out, just reeling the whole time it seemed.

What I saw was that they almost always handed the ball off on first down and they gained positive yardage. Though it was only 2-3 yards, they were in a 2nd and 7 or 8 situation. We rarely stopped the RB for negative yards. As soon as the chains moved and the refs blew the whistle they would snap it. Our D linemen were never really set. Then they would run the slant or quick hitch plays for 3 or 4 yards and that set them up for a manageable 3rd and 3 or 4 yards. On third down, Johnny Football could pick it up with his feet or pass it. It seemed to be the same pattern for the first half.
I can't argue with you. We watched the same game. They played safe and dinked and dunked a few yards at a time until they hit it big. You run so many plays, you're gonna succeed eventually. If only they could have turned it over, even once!

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Really does not matter what kind of scheme we run on D IF we have 7 straight 3 & outs or turn the ball over 3 times.

When I saw our D personnel changes it looked many times like they did not know where to line up & more importantly who was suppose to be on the field.

Lacking a real pass rusher or someone who can put their hands on the QB almost every play, disrupt the run like Nick Gentry did is missing on this team.

No 1 linebacker standing out & in for almost every play calling out the changes like McClain, Hightower did.

Other than just a few plays the DB's have played pretty good. What Fulton did all night long just can not be discounted, to me he gave it his all.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Fulton played amazing. Vinny struggled, but he's just not great in coverage. I was surprised by a few poor plays by Dee and Lester where they made freshman mistakes. Not having an Upshaw that can put his hand in the ground and affect the QB every play is HUGE. I thought Hubbard would be that guy, but it hasn't happened.

tidefan39817

All-American
Jan 17, 2006
Bainbridge, Georgia
Agree.
. And when they leave, we are talking about a mother leaving her chicks.....you would be better off with your coach leaving. No spread of dual threat for me, I just want to be able to defend them better!!!:cool::BigA:
it all starts with the D-Line. and sometimes those can't miss super stud D-linemen don't pan out. i was all in favor of putting Ivory at the nose and Jesse back to DE saturday. face it we miss Upshaw and Hightower more than you know. and every coach in college ball that is recruiting against us knows to use the fact that our base defense is a 3-4 over under scheme. it's not that the D-line doesn't matter in that scheme it's just that they are not the "superstar" on the defense.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
And here's the solution to all of that. Use your offense to slow the game down. Our problem Saturday was lack of execution on the offensive side of the ball. Then throw gasoline on that problem with turning the ball over three times. If we execute the fundamentals Saturday on the offensive side of the ball and run the ball a little more, we gas aTm's defense and win. End of story, 10-0 and we're still in the hunt for the title.

These high tempo offenses use their style offense to dictate the flow of the game. We have to do the same. Like I've said before. There's no need to overhaul anything.

Play pretend and let's say aTm's offense had three turnovers. Or some of those thread the needle passes Johnny Football completed on third down didn't happen. The game more than likely turns out different. It's about execution and using your scheme to your advantage. That's all these teams are doing.

Originally it was brought into the college game so teams with inferior personnel could gain some type of advantage over the defense. Now, even upper level teams with good to great talent (A&M, OU, Oregon, Ok. State) run it as well.

Bama has an elite defense, no doubt. But it is a defense that relies on disguising pressure packages, disguising coverages, showing the offense one look and shifting at the last second to a different look, and getting the correct personnel on the field to match what the O is showing with their personnel package, on top of being bigger, faster, and more physical at the point of attack.

ALL OF THAT is negated with a hurry-up no huddle offense. The O gets the play in, gets to the line of scrimmage, and it is go time, so the D needs to be able to play the next down with the defenders they have on the field, for the most part, and needs to be able to get their calls in quickly, and they don't really have time to shift or disguise their intent. It really is NOT sand-lot ball, it is just "our 11 vs. your 11" and makes the defense be a "read and react" defense out of necessity. All great defensive minded teams, their coaches and fans always say they want the defense to dictacte to the offense. That is not possible against an offense like A&M ran Saturday in Tuscaloosa. And the offense has the advantage as they know what play they are running and where the ball is going, the defense does not.

Oklahoma State takes this to the extreme, or has in the past when they had an experienced QB as they would not even substitute their O personnel if the play ended within 15 yard of the line of scrimmage.

A&M substituted a good amount on Saturday, and the Umpire correctly stood over the ball so Bama could substitute their personnel package - which still didn't leave a whole lot of time to get the call in and get the defense set. If A&M has substituted less it would have been an even bigger problem for the Tide defense. Though I thought the Bama D played well overall after the initital onslaught, if A&M makes that missed FG and Manziel gets that extra yard on 4th and 1 that game may not have been so close in the waning moments.

The answer is the same as it has always been in football, DL has to get pressure, but the LBs need to be a little smaller and a little faster and the 11 you have on the field to defend 1st and 10 better be able to be the same 11 on the field to defend 3rd and 10 or 3rd and 1.

Personally I don't like the term "spread offense", in the NFL when the Saints, Packers or Patriots throw it 55 times and run it 12 times they call it football, they don't call it "the spread". A&M had a commitment to run the ball and ran play-action, that is not like the crazy "spread" offense Mike Leach ran/runs - he wouldn't run the ball if the defense was 1 DL and 10 DBs 7 yards off the line of scrimmage.

I don't like it, but it is what it is. I prefer low scoring defensive games, and think the forward pass should be out-lawed!!

RJ YellowHammer

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
Memphis, Tn
And here's the solution to all of that. Use your offense to slow the game down. Our problem Saturday was lack of execution on the offensive side of the ball. Then throw gasoline on that problem with turning the ball over three times. If we execute the fundamentals Saturday on the offensive side of the ball and run the ball a little more, we gas aTm's defense and win. End of story, 10-0 and we're still in the hunt for the title.

These high tempo offenses use their style offense to dictate the flow of the game. We have to do the same. Like I've said before. There's no need to overhaul anything.

Play pretend and let's say aTm's offense had three turnovers. Or some of those thread the needle passes Johnny Football completed on third down didn't happen. The game more than likely turns out different. It's about execution and using your scheme to your advantage. That's all these teams are doing.
You've said it several times in this thread BB, and you've been right every time. If we salt it away and lean on them a little bit, they would be asking themselves the questions we're asking now. Last Saturday wasn't a failure of scheme it was a failure of execution. If we get a couple of first downs on our first or second offensive possesion, CKS and CNS would've had a little more time to key our D on some quick adjustments and that game turns out differently. The bottom line is that our offensive strengths can be just as difficult for them to deal with, when properly executed (See Texas in the 09 BCSNCG), as their offensive strengths are for us to deal with.

For thread relevancy: Uptempo offenses do cause defensive confusion, but not when they're on the bench

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Honest question that I haven't heard addressed: Didn't we go hurry up a few times during the game? I know we have done this in the past occasionally to catch teams off guard, but this game didn't seem like the time to do that.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
They beat La Tech somewhere around 57-55. TAMU is playing very well, but Alabama has much more talent on the roster. Just shows what can happen when they spread you out and find the weakest link in coverage.
isnt that the opponents goal, to find your weakness? We didnt cover our weakness, they exploited it...regroup and make adjustments to make sure it doesnt happen again...

seems like the same old football to me...

we were the first team to run a wishbone under CPB, werent we...that was that eras spread offense...

TexasTideFan

All-American
Feb 6, 2003
Kingwood, TX
isnt that the opponents goal, to find your weakness? We didnt cover our weakness, they exploited it...regroup and make adjustments to make sure it doesnt happen again....
That's the beauty of running the Offense A&M runs. They hit you with so much mental confusion at first that it takes a while to adjust and it's so quick that you are getting gassed and trying to run 10 things through your head pre-snap. It doesn't help that their schemes get you, it's this QB that can torch you if you lose outside contain or get to much rush on him. So you bring a Safety up to spy but the dude can lazer guide a ball to a WR that dwarfs your Corner who is in Man because your in Cover 0. By the time you adjust, your down a TD or 2 or 3. That's the Defense's weakness because the primary threat is the QB that can run but is accurate with the pass.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
isnt that the opponents goal, to find your weakness? We didnt cover our weakness, they exploited it...regroup and make adjustments to make sure it doesnt happen again...

seems like the same old football to me...

we were the first team to run a wishbone under CPB, werent we...that was that eras spread offense...
I think Alabama was copying Texas and Oklahoma with the wishbone since Alabama had several off seasons.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.

Bingo!!!
If we hit that 3rd down pass on our first possession or that one to the TE later, IMO it's a whole different game. It's all about execution on both sides of the ball.
During the wishbone years, we never sacrificed our D because we could score. We might beat somebody 60-0, but we never beat somebody 60-55.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.