Faster tempo offense question. Causing confusion?

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
To be fair, the defense did only allow 29 points - that's not really a lot when you consider that Alabama's offense had 3 turnovers and couldn't keep the defense off the field.

After the 1st qtr, TAMU only scored 9 points. The defense did give up a lot of yards, but it did tighten up a good bit after then 1st qtr onslaught.

This wasn't like the 2008 UGA blackout game either. Alabama was within 6 at halftime so TAMU definitely didn't ease up.
And when was the last time that 24 points by the offense wasn't enough for a Bama defense??? Totally agree that our defense did a really good job for 3 quarters. That fourth one (Q1) killed us, though.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
As I said above, we can't change the game to fit our scheme. That's what makes football so interesting. New schemes and subsequent adjustments.
Rules change and loopholes are closed all the time.

This has nothing to do with giving Alabama an advantage. The exploitation of the current loopholes just don't fit with the culture of the game. Even the NBA realized that too much scoring was a bad thing as it turned off viewers, so they changed the rules.

Even baseball has made rule changes (mostly mound height) when the offense or defense gets too much of an advantage.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Rules change and loopholes are closed all the time.

This has nothing to do with giving Alabama an advantage. The exploitation of the current loopholes just don't fit with the culture of the game. Even the NBA realized that too much scoring was a bad thing as it turned off viewers, so they changed the rules.

Even baseball has made rule changes (mostly mound height) when the offense or defense gets too much of an advantage.
I understand and know you weren't suggesting preferential treatment for Bama. As we know there is a rule in place that allows for substitutions if the O substitutes. Should this change to allow time for subs after every play even when the O doesn't??? That is above my pay grade but I'd bet CNS would vote for it and I bet Sumlin and Kelly would vote against it. :wink:

I personally will look forward to how CNS will defend the HUNH in the future irregardless of any rule changes.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
I understand and know you weren't suggesting preferential treatment for Bama. As we know there is a rule in place that allows for substitutions if the O substitutes. Should this change to allow time for subs after every play even when the O doesn't??? That is above my pay grade but I'd bet CNS would vote for it and I bet Sumlin and Kelly would vote against it. :wink:
I don't have as much of a problem with the substitutions as I do with the amount of freedom the offensive players have while at the line of scrimmage. They are allowed way too much movement and it's not good for the game in the long term.

I don't know how to fix it, but the current loopholes need to be closed. Maybe the offensive line can only set once and cannot reset? I thought that was the rule, but whatever it is that allows the offensive line to line up and then stand back up to get the blocking calls from the bench needs to be addressed.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
And when was the last time that 24 points by the offense wasn't enough for a Bama defense??? Totally agree that our defense did a really good job for 3 quarters. That fourth one (Q1) killed us, though.
Plus this is Alabama, and fair or not we hold our defense to a higher standard.

Krymsonman

Hall of Fame
Sep 1, 2009
River Ridge, LA
I don't have as much of a problem with the substitutions as I do with the amount of freedom the offensive players have while at the line of scrimmage. They are allowed way too much movement and it's not good for the game in the long term.

I don't know how to fix it, but the current loopholes need to be closed. Maybe the offensive line can only set once and cannot reset? I thought that was the rule, but whatever it is that allows the offensive line to line up and then stand back up to get the blocking calls from the bench needs to be addressed.
Man, that offensive line thing has always bothered me. I was a lineman in high school and when you were set you couldn't move. Now they come up, get set, then stand up to see the sideline call, then get set again. I agree they should stop that.

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
I think Coach has a new project to work on. We are a battleship when it comes to playing the no huddle teams, that react like little destroyers. We have 2 games left that mean alot. Alot more than people know. How will the guys react.

I am very proud of this team and cant believe how hard they have played all season. Roll Tide!!!

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I think Coach has a new project to work on. We are a battleship when it comes to playing the no huddle teams, that react like little destroyers. We have 2 games left that mean alot. Alot more than people know. How will the guys react.

I am very proud of this team and cant believe how hard they have played all season. Roll Tide!!!
In the back of my mind I wonder if we've peaked under the present system. We have played our worst 2 game stretch dating back a pretty good ways. Probably get drilled for the thought, but we've have been riding high for an extended period. If AJ leaves, it could be a rebuilding job :)

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
Thing to remember : Oregon snaps the ball every 13 seconds. That is a way to tire the defense.
The only thing I can think of is have 2 defenses that alternate with the opponents offensive series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
Thing to remember : Oregon snaps the ball every 13 seconds. That is a way to tire the defense.
The only thing I can think of is have 2 defenses that alternate with the opponents offensive series.

Hmmm, that's interesting. Two units that rotate. Or have two DL line ups, two LB line ups, etc.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

CNS doesn't platoon, but it's close to it, particularly with the LBs, DBs, and, to some degree, the DL. His defense is much more complex than almost any other and he has a personnel package - with separate training - for each offensive situation. It's no wonder that he hates the HUNH offenses. It interferes big time with his basic defensive philosophy. When we make substitutions on defense, it's a hurried matter, with the offense in their set, ready to go, and with the refs holding them back while we get set. I noticed last night, that we were almost always still giving hand signals and trying to get into position when the snap occurred. It may mean that CNS will have to simplify his defensive sets and I know that's anathema to him. It may also mean that we recruit different body types, as several other posters have stated...

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
CNS doesn't platoon, but it's close to it, particularly with the LBs, DBs, and, to some degree, the DL. His defense is much more complex than almost any other and he has a personnel package - with separate training - for each offensive situation. It's no wonder that he hates the HUNH offenses. It interferes big time with his basic defensive philosophy. When we make substitutions on defense, it's a hurried matter, with the offense in their set, ready to go, and with the refs holding them back while we get set. I noticed last night, that we were almost always still giving hand signals and trying to get into position when the snap occurred. It may mean that CNS will have to simplify his defensive sets and I know that's anathema to him. It may also mean that we recruit different body types, as several other posters have stated...
That's what I noticed. It is hard for defensive players to get into the flow of the game. I noticed that we've had trouble getting up to game speed early in most of our games against these types of offenses.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
These offenses don't have a flow, the play is called from the sidelines AFTER the defense has lined up. The play can be called down from the box after the coverage has been seen from above, after the quarterback has snapped his head, jerked his arms, leaned back, walked forward, anything he can do to make it look like the ball is being snapped. There's too much competitive advantage for the offense in college football now, the coaches get to see the defense before hand and call a play from the sideline that automatically diagnoses it's weakness. Can you tell me how recruiting will change that?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
These offenses don't have a flow, the play is called from the sidelines AFTER the defense has lined up. The play can be called down from the box after the coverage has been seen from above, after the quarterback has snapped his head, jerked his arms, leaned back, walked forward, anything he can do to make it look like the ball is being snapped. There's too much competitive advantage for the offense in college football now, the coaches get to see the defense before hand and call a play from the sideline that automatically diagnoses it's weakness. Can you tell me how recruiting will change that?
Super DBs!

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
The play can be called down from the box after the coverage has been seen from above, after the quarterback has snapped his head, jerked his arms, leaned back, walked forward, anything he can do to make it look like the ball is being snapped
Even the NFL which has radios in the QB's helment is less crazy than what college football has become. The NFL has also put an end to much of the simulated snaps that Peyton Manning loved so much.

The NFL knows that 63-50 games are not good for the game, so it's not clear why some college football fans insist that these type scores are the wave of the future.

Last edited:

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
If this is true, why is Alabama not running this offense to gain advantage?

BradtheImpaler

All-American
Nov 16, 2010
Sugar Hill, GA
Part of the problem is the offense. Granted our D is not as good as last years group the offense has to get a faster start. Bama's MO is playing from ahead. When the D plays from ahead they have much more swagger and can start throwing out some exotic packages. When the offense can't score at a single point until they are down 20 - 0 that is a problem. Not sure why this team came out so heavy and flat. Reminded me 100% of the Utah game of 09. Just wasn't ready to bring it at kick off. These slow starts are a real killer. I think the D is fine. Just need the offense to start scoring some points early and stop turning the ball over.
I think everybody is missing this point. These last two games can be blamed on our sputtering offense (see: multiple 3 and outs) as much if not more than our defense.

Sure, we have had some trouble getting off the field on D, but the D did enough to give our offense multiple chances to win the game last night and the offense did not come through. The bottom line is you can't go 3 and out over and over against a team with an offense as good as A&M and expect to win.
I agree. The offense's lack of production really put the defense behind the eight-ball early on. Three and out followed by the interception to start the game didn't allow us to set the tone or make adjustments after A&M had set the tone. The defense had to keep running back onto the field against a frenetic attack and a quarterback that wears you out trying to cover the field.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
So, we lose one game and we have to remake our defense, change the offense, recruit different type of players, change coaching philosophy, and overhaul the college rules?
Yes! According to our forum panel! :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.