Link: Dooley is Out At UT

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Re: Dooley is Out At UT (per VolQuest.com)

I told my son that he would be fired when he let the clock run down on the last possession of the 4th quarter with two timeouts left.
said exactly the same to my wife. Sitting on a tie and going to overtime when you have those receivers, a QB that can get them the ball, two timeouts and only need ~30 yards to kick a field goal?

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida

Dave Hart says that a decision has not been made yet

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ee-volunteers-ad-dave-hart-said-made-decision

"We talked very frankly about it," Dooley said. "He told me he had not made a decision, if we go 6-6, despite what all the reports are. Either the sources are wrong or Dave wasn't being forthright with me, and I have no reason to think Dave's not being forthright with me. He's an honest man. He's always been honest with me. I've appreciated how he's handled everything about this."

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Compare today's climate. Would Vince Dooley have made it to year 8 with the record below? He finished his career 201-77-10 and 104-42 and he is considered
one of the greats? His SEC record was 60%? Minus his Herchel Walker years, Vince's teams would lose 4 on average every year. No wonder their Auburn's biggest out of state rival.....they have something in common.....average! Plus Dye played at Gowga and Dooley at Auwbun.

So even if Derek could match his father, he would still get canned!

196-

64 7-3-1
65 6-4
66 10-1
67 7-4
68 8-1-2
69 5-5-1
70 5-5

Would never have reached the 71 season today.

71 11-1
72 7-4-1
73 7-4

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville

I wonder how we'll make a position on our staff for Sal. I have a hard time thinking Saban won't find a way to get him back on board. We've been missing his pass rush this year and last night showed.
Don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but I think Sal has a guaranteed 3 year contract. I think when Dooley came on board, he had to keep a couple of the coaches (lance Thompson). Not sure if that means UT will have to buy out the contract or if the new coaches will have to keep him on board.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

So, are they just going to leave DD twisting in the wind, or what? There really is no reason to keep delaying the inevitable. I guess they are waiting to see if he can get his signature win this Saturday against Vanderbilt. If the powers that be are still having their doubts, they need to think about it this way. Thanks to tennessee, Missouri's bowl hopes are alive and well. Missouri's season was over and done until last Saturday. That should tell them all they need to know.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL

After getting drubbed last night 41-18 by Vandy, per Josh Ward:

Tennessee has fired Derek Dooley, per @JimmyHyams. UT AD Dave Hart will hold a press conference without Dooley at 2 ET. Derek Dooley will not coach the Kentucky game. He finishes with a 15-21 record at Tennessee, 4-19 in the SEC.

Last edited:

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

After that loss I'm just amazed he wasn't filmed getting fired on the way off the field.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Re: Since my last Thread was "dupe"

I look for Tennessee to interview Kirby Smart. If offered, I think he would take it. Remember the Dave Hart/Bama connection. He's one of the few candidates without HC experience I believe a school on whom a big-time program would take chance.

Right now, I'd also say there's more of a chance of Derek Dooley coming to Tuscaloosa than Sal Sunseri returning, probably as a recruiting coordinator or assistant director of football operations, etc. A previous post was correct, Sal was able to negotiate a guarantee for 3 yrs.

Last edited:

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
Re: Dooley is Out At UT - not so fast, my friend - He's Out

Won't be coaching their last game huh, dang it Dooley whys ya lose to the dores!
Anyway link says they will start the search thought they had Gruden on standby

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA

Done! Oh well... I hate it that he has to go. They may not want to hear this but this job (UT head coach) has gotten more and more unattractive... even if Gruden was looking for a good college team to coach, no way he would want to come here and try to raise this sunken ship.

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
Re: Since my last Thread was "dupe"

I look for Tennessee to interview Kirby Smart. If offered, I think he would take it. Remember the Dave Hart/Bama connection. He's one of the few candidates without HC experience I believe a school on whom a big-time program would take chance.

Right now, I'd also say there's more of a chance of Derek Dooley coming to Tuscaloosa than Sal Sunseri returning, probably as a recruiting coordinator or assistant director of football operations, etc. A previous post was correct, Sal was able to negotiate a guarantee for 3 yrs.
Do you really think that Coach Smart would take a job where he would be in direct competition with Coach Saban every year recruiting and on the field, especially with no HC experience? I don't and I don't think he would be wise to do so...

Crimson Speed

All-American
Oct 2, 2005
The Shoals, North West Alabama

Well, this should not come as a surprise for Dooley, although I hate to see him go because he is the cleanest coach the've had up there for several years. Whoever takes over will have a tremendous task to completely rebuild that program. Finding the right guy will be tough because things are very, very broken up there. Fulmer really screwed things up for them, then Kiffin started the fire that still hasn't been quenched.

Alajambama

2nd Team
Jul 25, 2012
Fyffe, AL

I'm very glad they have fired him. Now I can go back to hating the very core of the viles' existance. Coach Dooley has too much class and character than to be stuck in Knoxville. With his law degree, I would think he would fit well at any university as an NCAA compliance officer. I hope they do NOT hire Coach Smart because I love to hate Tennessee.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.