Link: Dooley is Out At UT

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)
Re: Since my last Thread was "dupe"

I look for Tennessee to interview Kirby Smart. If offered, I think he would take it.
After their experience with Bill Battle, Sal and Dooley, I think UT is through trying to hire coaches with ties to Alabama or Alabama coaches.

As others have mentioned, this really is a watershed hire for UT. They really need to go for an established head coach that can recruit nationally. Not sure who that is though.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Re: Since my last Thread was "dupe"

Do you really think that Coach Smart would take a job where he would be in direct competition with Coach Saban every year recruiting and on the field, especially with no HC experience? I don't and I don't think he would be wise to do so...
Absolutely. If a big-time program comes calling that's willing to pay $3.5-$4million/yr, I think Kirby takes it.

Last edited:

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
Is Bob Stoops considered a realistic possibility?
No way. I really think Stoops is a lifer at Oklahoma. He is treated like a king there, makes between $4-$5mil/yr, and plays in an inferior conference that has no CCG. Why would he give all that up to swim in the shark tank known as the SEC?

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
I don't understand the fascination with Gruden. Has he ever been a head coach at the college level? Even in the NFL his w/l record is barely over .5oo. You'd think that after Kiffen UT would be leery of Al Davis castoffs. I for one would welcome a Gruden hire. :wink:

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
Mullen or Smart would take the Tenn job. It is a great job, lets be honest. Strong would be a mistake; hope they take him. I know it is a long shot but if I was tenn I would call Butch Davis; he would be an automatic winner at Tenn if they stayed off probation. He can recruit and is a very good coach. He fits the Vols. As a Bama fan I would not want him there. And that is how I judge their process; who I would not want there.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Mullen or Smart would take the Tenn job. It is a great job, lets be honest. Strong would be a mistake; hope they take him. I know it is a long shot but if I was tenn I would call Butch Davis; he would be an automatic winner at Tenn if they stayed off probation. He can recruit and is a very good coach. He fits the Vols. As a Bama fan I would not want him there. And that is how I judge their process; who I would not want there.
I highly doubt Butch Davis gets an offer to coach at the college level ever again after the mess that he has gotten UNC into. Plus, he has a show cause attached to his name and any school wanting to hire him would have to appear before the NCAA. UT just had their probation extended 2 more years and would not even entertain this idea.

BamaSam1

Scout Team
Dec 12, 2011
I think based Bobby Petrino's flub at Arkansas and his desperation to get back in coaching, UT could probably get him at a reduced rate.

BamaGoose

Suspended
Dec 7, 1999
Meridianville, Al.
I highly doubt Butch Davis gets an offer to coach at the college level ever again after the mess that he has gotten UNC into. Plus, he has a show cause attached to his name and any school wanting to hire him would have to appear before the NCAA. UT just had their probation extended 2 more years and would not even entertain this idea.
Butch Davis was cleared of all things at UNC.. Don't know how but he did. No show cause.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/art...y-but-north-carolina-penalized-for-violations

Davis has never been tied directly to or cited for any violation in the probe.
In a ruling Monday, the committee said the school was responsible for multiple violations, including academic fraud and a failure to monitor its football program. It also issued a three-year show-cause penalty for former assistant coach John Blake, who had received personal loans from an NFL agent.

Last edited:

TheRealPokeChop

Hall of Fame
Jul 7, 2010
Hueytown, Al
How well can Mullen recruit?
Kind of hard to tell. He has gotten a few gems but MSU is so hard to recruit to. Starkville sucks and so does the campus to be honest. He's missed out on some huge in state guys to ole miss over the past few years, even while Nutt was there.

He's done very well with the limited means as coach at Miss State is presented. though his recruiting at UF was successful, but of course so was Ron Zooks and his staff.

Mullen is a legit head coach which Dooley never was, so he'd be a marked improvement though adjusting to his Offense would not give the immediate change that UT fans are looking for and he's really tied to gimmicks to recruit and motivate, like different colored jersey games, see the white unis to commemorate a win in the Independence bowl from ten years ago. and those things have more or less blown up in his face.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I wonder why they didn't let him coach the Kentucky game? But I guess a place that takes away wins from a head coach when he is having open heart surgery isn't likely to let someone finish out the season.

I think we've seen the last of Dooley at the major levels, at least as a head coach. He may get a job at a second tier BCS school, but that would be about it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.