If we still had McElwain?

Bruce014

1st Team
Aug 29, 2012
Alabama
Injuries are a nontrivial part of this.
AJ has a sore back.
Lacy and Cooper are not 100%.
Other key players have been out for the season, like Fowler.

I would've run it four times from inside the 10-yard line, too, but I'm not willing to throw Nuss under the bus.

I think he's going to be a fantastic OC for us.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
LA Tech scored 50 on aTm. We couldn't get half of that at BDS. Must be a reason, and I feel it's a combo of poor play calling and poor execution.
La Tech's QB was 44/58 for 450 yards and 5 TDs. Our offense and La Tech's offense are totally different. A&M's and La Tech's pretty much mirror each other. Better comparison would be LSU or UF's offenses, which scored 24 and 20 points respectfully.
If we score on that last drive they are great calls. If we run it 4 times and get stuffed, then we would ask why didn't we throw. Just like Saban said, he doesn't question the play calling at the end of the game. Obviously in retrospect you make a different call cause the one we called didn't work.
What I have said since the game ended. If those plays end in Bama's favor, no one is complaining. It's all about the end result.
Take away a fumble and interception at the goal line and we aren"t having this conversation . rtr...
Yep. If TJ doesn't fumble, Bama marches down and scores. (BTW - that was a running play.) What would folks say if TJ fumbled inside the 6 while Bama runs the ball 4 straight plays?
Another aspect to throwing the ball where we did greatly increases the chance of a turnover. If we pound the ball and stall out, they get the ball at 1 or 2 yard line and we have still have 2 TO's.
A&M started the final drive at 1:36. Had Bama run the ball 4 straight times and never used a timeout, A&M would have gotten the ball with much less time.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I like Nuss better than I did Mac. Both are very good but I like the aggressiveness of Nuss.
One thing he needs to get away from though is basically abandoning our game plan when we get behind.
I agree with Alasippi, I think we may have a slight upgrade going from McElwain to Nuss.
(I'm talking potential here, you don't start as a finished product.)
Nuss isn't quite as predictable as Mac.
Nuss isn't a finished product yet. Give him time.
IMO: We are being a little harsh for loosing one game and pulling one out of our hat.

You can only work with what you've got... Banged up RBs and Banged up QB,
and Banged up Receivers. Name your poison.
(Kind of limits what you can do)

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Just a reminder - Mac called 3 straight jump balls to Julio in the 2009 UT game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
If "if's were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas". Who originally said that?

This is regarding the thread title.

If #7 had been able to catch that pass from Aj instead of an Aggie intercepting it, we "may" have won. If #9 had blocked the guy who brought #7 down on the 54 yard play, we may have made it into the end zone and won. If Sunseri had covered Swope on that play when Johnny Football juggled the ball then threw a TD pass to Swope, we may have won. Swope was widddddddddeee open. If we had played on a Thursday night or a 11:21 a.m. game on Saturday, we may have won. If we had played with a Script "A" on our helmet we may have won. If we had been more motivated we may have won. If A & M had been ranked #1 and we were ranked #15, we may have won. If I had worn the right Crimson Tide Shirt we may have won. If I had not gotten my hair cut that week we may have won. If Obama had not been elected, we may have won. If the Aggies hadn't been playing six feet off the ground, we may have won. If we had run the ball on every down in that last series, we just may have won.

I've heard so many people praising our OC's decision making all season. Why stop now?

It's just hard to win them all when you are a HUGE TARGET every week and ranked #1. The pressure to preform gets to you. No one wants to lose. The OC didn't want to lose. The players didn't want to lose. The head Coach didn't want to lose. The DC didn't want to lose. Mal Moore didn't want to lose. The next President of the U of A didn't want to lose. And I darn sure didn't want to lose.

Now, the air is outta the balloon. The pressure is OFF! How will we preform now?

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
You can't "what if" this thing. Nuss is a fine OC, and given that this is his first year in the toughest conference in the nation, I'd say he has done quite well.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I think the injury excuses are a little weak. I don't claim to know the severity of any of the guys injuries are but to me McCarron doesn't look hurt he just hasn't played that well. Honestly neither one of the hits on McCarron that caused injuries looked that bad to me. Everyone was worried about Amari but he was fine. Lacy looked good to me as well. Blaming the loss on injuries denies the fact that for the last two weeks the team has had problems defensively and large periods of offensive inconsistency. I don't think injuries are to blame for either of those.

The bottom line is there was a mixture of not executing and maybe a little strange playcalling throughout the game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.