Bama vs UGA for SEC Championship

CapeHorn

Scout Team
Aug 22, 2012
I started typing a response here saying this should be a close game, similar teams/styles of play but then I started thinking what's the major difference in the teams. This is what I came up with - we got down 20 we fought and came back, ended up falling short but we went down swinging. That tells me we have a lot of heart. When they got down 21 they quit, plain and simple there is lot of quit in that dawg. Impose our will and they will quit.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
First, we are wearing white jerseys. This is kind of like the NCAA tournament at this point in the season. When does a team peak or has a team already peaked?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
We still have 2 games left that are not a given, but if we make it. I believe CNS & staff will have them ready. It all depends on which team shows up & if everyone is healthy enough to play to their top level.
:rolleyes: Really?

Something to consider about UGA. They play Georgia Southern this weekend and Georgia Tech next weekend. Their defense will be worn out from that option two weeks in a row.

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
:rolleyes: Really?

Something to consider about UGA. They play Georgia Southern this weekend and Georgia Tech next weekend. Their defense will be worn out from that option two weeks in a row.
let us hope.... and hope that we can put UWC away early...

Back to UGA though....we will have to play base against them, which gave us fits against LSU. Despite some fatigue/mental issues against aTm, we are still better in nickel.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama
What I find encouraging is that we have been in position to win both of the games that we have looked terrible in. We won one and lost the other. If we even play half way better, I think we beat GA. Anything can happen if we play like we did the last two games. Our boys have a lot of fight in them, and I think they will be ready to roll the dawgs. :)

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
We show up well in the Dome. We'll represent just as well as they do. This is very much the same team that was run by Boise St last season in the dome but I think they will be hungry. Hopefully our team is hungry for an SEC title of its own too. Will be a very tight game. RTR

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
let us hope.... and hope that we can put UWC away early...

Back to UGA though....we will have to play base against them, which gave us fits against LSU. Despite some fatigue/mental issues against aTm, we are still better in nickel.
Why do we have to play in base? By going nickel, we can go 3 safeties with HaHa, Nick, and Vinnie playing alongside Lester. That gives us the QB of the defense on the field.

JD95

All-American
Oct 18, 1999
Birmingham, AL
Hopefully our team is hungry for an SEC title of its own too. Will be a very tight game. RTR
This is the whole concern for me. I've not seen a lot of hunger, fire, or intensity from Alabama in the last two weeks. Not a lot of flying around the football with reckless abandon, more just going through the motions. Considering we've won exactly one SEC title in the last 13 years (fewer than LSU, Florida, Georgia, and even Auburn), the Tide certainly ought to be hungry for another one, but they're going to have to show up, fight hard, and earn it.

Last edited:

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
Why do we have to play in base? By going nickel, we can go 3 safeties with HaHa, Nick, and Vinnie playing alongside Lester. That gives us the QB of the defense on the field.
We don't stop the between the tackles run as well in nickel as we do in base. It keeps Nico and DePriest on the field. Against teams like LSU and UGA, you usually need the extra beef.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Two weeks ago I would have said we would beat UGA by 3 scores then reality came along. Teams with equal or better lines of scrimmage showed up on the schedule. Who so ever wins the trenches will most likely win the game and Georgia is in my opinion our equal in the trenches.

Our defensive line was beaten as many or more times than not in the past 2 games and therefore the secondary got scorched. Our offensive line on paper should be the best in the land but I told my kids when Bama started 3 & out the first series against A&M that it was gonna be a tough game. Don't know whats going on there but either the team has lost their identity on offense or we weren't as good as we thought. Some have said it was play calling but if its in our playbook we should be able to execute it.

Either way I expect Bama to take care of business the next 2 weeks and be better prepared for a tough physical team after having played the last 2. I predict a single score win for who ever shows up with a chip on their shoulder ready for war. Hope its our guys! :)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We have issues in both nickel and base though. In base, the ILBs used struggle when isolated on a back. In nickel, the 5th DB has struggled when isolated on a receiver.

Do we consider using Mosley more in base because I would think that UGA will try to get their freshmen backs involved in the passing game against us? He gives up some size but maybe he will flourish by using his ability to get small and get around fullbacks and linemen to stop the run whereas many times against LSU the ILBs seemed to be running right to the fullback.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Two weeks ago I would have said we would beat UGA by 3 scores then reality came along. Teams with equal or better lines of scrimmage showed up on the schedule. Who so ever wins the trenches will most likely win the game and Georgia is in my opinion our equal in the trenches.

Our defensive line was beaten as many or more times than not in the past 2 games and therefore the secondary got scorched. Our offensive line on paper should be the best in the land but I told my kids when Bama started 3 & out the first series against A&M that it was gonna be a tough game. Don't know whats going on there but either the team has lost their identity on offense or we weren't as good as we thought. Some have said it was play calling but if its in our playbook we should be able to execute it.

Either way I expect Bama to take care of business the next 2 weeks and be better prepared for a tough physical team after having played the last 2. I predict a single score win for who ever shows up with a chip on their shoulder ready for war. Hope its our guys! :)
Are you implying that Jawjuh is a tough, physical team? ;)

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I believe things will work out like last year and we get the SEC Championship to shove down Steve Spurriers throat.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Right behind Bama in the polls and ahead of the 2 teams we just played the past 2 weeks. ;)
Love me some polls ;). Jawjuh will tell you themselves how tough they are (although I have heard a lot more rumbling than usual form the puppy faithful this year about richt and their soft play)

They also played a laughable schedule. Consensus prior to the season was that they'd pull run the table til the sec championship game. They are talented for sure, but play soft and un disciplined. But their ausome win this past weekend shows they are peaking at the right time ;)

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Their two bad offensive performances were mainly caused by having no control over the line of scrimmage. Murray was running for his life often in both of those games. He completed 41% of his passes for 259 yards, 1 TD, 4 INTs against South Carolina and Florida. They won the Florida game in spite of 4 turnovers because they were still +2 in the turnover margin that game. Their previous loss to USC - the Michigan State bowl game - Murray had a good first half and completely went haywire in the second half. If you are going to beat UGA it involves bringing out the worse in Murray. He will throw balls up under pressure that everyone coaches the QB to throw away.

That is the key for the defense. Play the run well on first down while holding up in man coverage on play actions, unleash the pressure on second and third down.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Their two bad offensive performances were mainly caused by having no control over the line of scrimmage. Murray was running for his life often in both of those games. He completed 41% of his passes for 259 yards, 1 TD, 4 INTs against South Carolina and Florida. They won the Florida game in spite of 4 turnovers because they were still +2 in the turnover margin that game. Their previous loss to USC - the Michigan State bowl game - Murray had a good first half and completely went haywire in the second half. If you are going to beat UGA it involves bringing out the worse in Murray. He will throw balls up under pressure that everyone coaches the QB to throw away.

That is the key for the defense. Play the run well on first down while holding up in man coverage on play actions, unleash the pressure on second and third down.
Iirc, Murray just about cost them the Tennessee game as well

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

Which boils down to how our defensive line plays. If Murray has no pressure then he will likely pick our secondary apart. And if our offensive line does not play up to snuff the three and outs will kill us.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
This is the whole concern for me. I've not seen a lot of hunger, fire, or intensity from Alabama in the last two weeks. Not a lot of flying around the football with reckless abandon, more just going through the motions. Considering we've won exactly one SEC title in the last 13 years (fewer than LSU, Florida, Georgia, and even Auburn), the Tide certainly ought to be hungry for another one, but they're going to have to show up, fight hard, and earn it.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. Yea we have had some issues, and some points in the games where we seemed a little flat, but lack of hunger, fire and intensity really?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.