***11/12/12 Coach Saban Presser Highlights***

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Pretty short and to the point today

• Players of the week: Amari Cooper & Eddie Lacy on offense; CJ Mosley & John Fulton on defense; Mandell on special teams.
  • John Fulton is struggling with turf toe. His status is VERY questionable for Saturday vs. WCU
  • Chris Black is cleared for activity but not clear for contact. Could be cleared for contact in another month or so.
  • The focus has to be on not what has been lost, but the lessons learned from those circumstances.
  • One question has to be …why do we not respond emotionally until we’re down 20-0? I am responsible for that.”
  • I don’t think we need to focus on WHO we’re playing this week, but HOW we’re playing.
  • It’s the Bluegrass Miracle phenomenon. You play bad, you win the game, and then you get your [backside] kicked the next week
  • You all (the media) live in the “results world”. We live in the “process world”.
  • We don’t control what happens, but we can control what we do.

Note from Nico Johnson’s portion of media on players who spoke up in the locker room after the loss:

AJ McCarron, Nico Johnson, and Chance Warmack

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Not too concerned about the Fulton turf toe injury for now. Realistically we won't need him against either Western Carolina or Auburn, so he has three weeks to get healthy to play 60 minutes against UGA, and honestly as much as they go pro-style with a fullback and a tight end the third corner might not play much there either.

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Not too concerned about the Fulton turf toe injury for now. Realistically we won't need him against either Western Carolina or Auburn, so he has three weeks to get healthy to play 60 minutes against UGA, and honestly as much as they go pro-style with a fullback and a tight end the third corner might not play much there either.
Unfortunately, turf toe injuries generally need more than a few weeks' rest to resolve. Ask Eddie Lacey.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Unfortunately, turf toe injuries generally need more than a few weeks' rest to resolve. Ask Eddie Lacey.
Certainly, it's a long-term issue, but players can successfully work through it especially with enough rest. Lacy has played on it for almost two years now, for example.

It won't help matters, of course, but with three weeks rest I don't see where Fulton will have any major issues playing, say, 50 snaps in the SECCG. Nor should he have any real trouble doing the same in the bowl game after four weeks rest.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Certainly, it's a long-term issue, but players can successfully work through it especially with enough rest. Lacy has played on it for almost two years now, for example.

It won't help matters, of course, but with three weeks rest I don't see where Fulton will have any major issues playing, say, 50 snaps in the SECCG. Nor should he have any real trouble doing the same in the bowl game after four weeks rest.
All this is true. I think, though, that we could (and probably should) get used to seeing young Geno Smith in 3 CB packages. If need be, we'll probably put Dee in the slot and have Belue & Geno on the edges. Either that OR go back to the 3 safety look with Lester, Perry and Vinnie. We had to do the 3 CB look this week because Perry was hurt. Perry thinks he'll be back against WCU. So it may wind up being the latter.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Here's a few things I missed earlier

On Yeldon's fumble: Yeldon was carrying the ball low - the confidence should come in doing it correctly. We have full confidence in him.

Asked about this senior class: Despite being a small group (only 17), they've done everything you can ask of them.

Asked about tackling - had more missed tackling, more yards after contact. That's something we need to improve on.

Asked if AJ has hit a plateau: As QB you always get too much credit when things go well, and more blame when they don't. My suggestion to AJ is to take the bull by the horns and learn from the last two games. Shouldn't be a plateau, should break through and continue improving.

Vinnie can play fifth and sixth defensive backs. Perry did have a bad shoulder.
Fulton played because they didn't want Sunseri switching back and forth in the game. Played well, did a good job.

On D-line went with four athletic guys who could challenge the QB, isn't something they would regularly due. Some of the bigger guys didn't use much.

What could have you done better yourself. A lot of things. Everything gets analyzed, not just big-picture but individually. For example, tried to emphasize tackling last week and still had missed tackles. Everything has to be answered both in a physical and emotional way.

Team responded the right way last year, not about losing, but how they finished the season and gave themselves an opportunity. They didn't have control of their destiny, but did control what they could.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.