Question: Any Thoughts on using the naked bootleg near goal line situations?

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
I remember TN using the naked bootleg successfully with Peyton Manning against Alabama. AJ is more mobile than Manning so this play could have been successful last Saturday.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I still wouldn't have really passed in the goal to go situation but "if" I did it would have been a play action pass on 1st down.

I would have taken my chances of running it on the first 3, especially with timeouts left.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
This thread is making me think about 1st and goal from the six all over again. I know I've complained about not opening things up, but running right behind those All Americans sure seems like a good idea.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I doubt we have it in the playbook. Would have been a good call and surprised everybody
We've run it several times this year without much in the way of results. Each time, AJ's rolled to his right to be met with a blitzing DB or a DE who's slipped his block. Don't think he's been sacked, but he's had to throw it away...

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
I'm not sure what the best play calls would have been, but I am sure the 4 play calls on the goal line were the worst calls they could make short of kicking a field goal.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
On 4th and 2 you always run a play fake roll out and drag the tight end across the end zone. Quarterback has a run pass option.
It works about 99% of the time because no one ever covers the tight end.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
On 4th and 2 you always run a play fake roll out and drag the tight end across the end zone. Quarterback has a run pass option.
Didn't we run that play against Michigan and AJ threw a TD to Michael Williams?

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
The key to the naked bootleg is first setting it up ahead of time and then selling it. You have to handoff to the RB and then carry out your fake to get the defensive ends to expect the run. Then after you have them expecting the handoff every time you hit them with the bootleg. We do not do a good job of setting plays up.

TexasBama

TideFans Legend
Jan 15, 2000
Houston, Texas USA
We've run it several times this year without much in the way of results. Each time, AJ's rolled to his right to be met with a blitzing DB or a DE who's slipped his block. Don't think he's been sacked, but he's had to throw it away...
We roll the QB but I don't recall a play that looked like a straight run bootleg.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Exactly the play I thought we'd run! It gives 2-3 options: AJ run, rb in the flats, tight end dragging along the back of the endzone.

Rush

All-American
Jul 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I'll have to go back and rewatch, which I haven't been able to make myself do. I know we've run it before and I may be porting another game over in my memory...
Same here, Earle...

In reading other posts over the past few days, I was starting to think I was the only one.

At least I now know that I'm in good company...

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Run a hobbled QB , one who has already been banged up no less than 3 times this season , with no legitimate or every down type of backup behind him ? Seems a little too risky to me . JMO though :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.