Why the Shift in Alabama's Offensive Philosophy?

TiderInTally

Scout Team
May 4, 2005
LA (Lower Alabama)
I do not fully understand what appears to be a (hopefully short-lived) shift in Alabama's offensive philosophy, from a clock-eating, will-to-live-sapping, power running attack, to a pass-first approach. Here is the way the last 2 games break down.

vs. LSU
52 = total offensive plays (!)
27 = passing plays (official)
25 = rushing plays (official)
30 = passing plays (actual - designed pass plays)*
22 = rushing plays (actual - excludes "rushing" sacks and QB scrambling)*
6.1 = yds per pass attempt
7.2 = yds per RB rush
4.5% - turnover rate on designed rushing plays
0.0% - turnover rate on designed passing plays

*Numbers may not be exact.

vs. aTm
65 = total offensive plays
34 = passing plays (official)
31 = rushing plays (official)
41 = passing plays (actual - designed pass plays)*
26 = rushing plays (actual - excludes "rushing" sacks and QB scrambling)*
9.1 = yds per pass attempt
4.7 = yds per RB rush
5.8 = yds per E. Lacy rush
3.8% - turnover rate on designed rushing plays
4.9% - turnover rate on designed passing plays

*Numbers may not be exact.

Offensive Plays & Time-of-Possession:
Alabama 65 and 27:33 vs. 77 and 32:27 for aTm
Alabama 52 plays and 20:45 vs. 85 plays and 39:15 for LSU

So the question is: Why? Is it lack of depth at the RB position? T.J. Yeldon, as exciting as he is to watch, has developed a minor (but disturbing) case of the dropsies. Eddie Lacy has been plagued with nagging injuries all season, and yet has managed to average 13.6 carries per game (vs. 11.4 for T.J. Yeldon). This is in line with other starting RBs in the SEC. But with the injuries to Dee Hart and (more critically) Jalston Fowler, are the coaching staff trying to save him and/or conceal the fact that he is playing hurt?

Looking for ideas here, because this just does not add up. What am I missing?

P.S. At least all the "A.J. for Heisman" nonsense is over.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Alabama hasn't changed philosophies. If so, you would see Blake under center with Eddie behind him with TJ on the left and Drake on the right.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
Case of the dropsies: In the LSU game I don't think that was a case of the dropsies. That was A. J.'s fault. Horrible handoff. A. J. needs to look in the mirror on that one. He did not get Yeldon the ball. In the Aggie game, there were several Aggies tugging to get the ball and it came out, so that was Yeldon's fault. I'll take that ONE, because he is a freshman.

You win as a team and you lose as a team. This was a TEAM loss: Offense, Defense and Special Teams!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Your philosophy has changed, but over the last 5 years not the last 2 weeks. Saban has openly stated that he prefers a balanced offense and a team that is capable of putting points on the board.

I am frustrated over the play calling in the last series from the 6 yard line, but the rest of the play calling in that game put you in a position to win a game against one of the most prolific offenses in college football.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
I prefer balance too but that doesn't mean 50% passing, 50% rushing. I think for us and our talent distribution, this should be more in the area of 55% rushing and 45% passing instead of the opposite. My 2 cents.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I prefer balance too but that doesn't mean 50% passing, 50% rushing. I think for us and our talent distribution, this should be more in the area of 55% rushing and 45% passing instead of the opposite. My 2 cents.
Not sure what that means. Looking at our contributing WRs coming out of high school:

Kevin Norwood 4*
Kenny Bell 4*
Deandrew White 4* (obviously, he's not playing anymore because of injury)
Christion Jones 4* DB prospect
Amari Cooper 4*
Cyrus Jones 4*

That means all the top WRs are 4*. Our "talent distribution" isn't tilted one way over the other. After all, they've got a 4* QB throwing to them.

The ratings are from Rivals.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Well, the reason why our number of plays and TOP has been lower is because of the dismal first quarter against A&M (4:00 vs 11:00 for A&M), and our unbelievable 1-for-9 3rd down conversion rate and constant 3-and-outs against LSU in the second half. We aren't changing our offensive philosophy as much as we were just getting beaten. I am sure that our coaches still want to win the TOP battle and run the ball effectively. But, when you are not converting 3rd downs, there is not much you can do. You are going to lose that battle. Also, when you are behind by 20 pts at the start of the 2nd quarter, play calling does change to try to get your team back in the game.

As far as a balanced offense, Coach has said that being balanced is more about being a threat to run or pass on any down and from any place on the field than trying to hit a certain percentage of runs vs. passes.

mlh

All-American
Apr 28, 2004
Well, the reason why our number of plays and TOP has been lower is because of the dismal first quarter against A&M (4:00 vs 11:00 for A&M), and our unbelievable 1-for-9 3rd down conversion rate and constant 3-and-outs against LSU in the second half. We aren't changing our offensive philosophy as much as we were just getting beaten. I am sure that our coaches still want to win the TOP battle and run the ball effectively. But, when you are not converting 3rd downs, there is not much you can do. You are going to lose that battle. Also, when you are behind by 20 pts at the start of the 2nd quarter, play calling does change to try to get your team back in the game.

As far as a balanced offense, Coach has said that being balanced is more about being a threat to run or pass on any down and from any place on the field than trying to hit a certain percentage of runs vs. passes.
Agreed. Personally, I hate the concept of a "balanced offense." Screw that. Do whatever works. But maybe that's just me.

jdua

Scout Team
Nov 19, 2006
I wouldn't presume to have any idea why there might be a real or perceived change of direction, but it may have to do with injuries and physical situations of which we, as fans, are simply unaware. Obviously game planning will change based on who's healthy and who isn't and I'm wondering if some of our folks simply cannot go full out for 4 quarters as they may have once been able to do. That's something else first-rate staffs will try to "mask".

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I think some of the problems the last two weeks, is AJ missing a receiver, or the receiver not making the catch, led to more punting, more 3 and outs and less time of possession.
If we would have converted some of those, we could have worked on the running game more, because we would have had the ball longer.
I can't blame AJ though, as he doesn't look 100%.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
2009 - First year starter at QB, great running back and most of defensive starters return = run the ball, safe calls for QB and play great defense, national champions. 2010 - Returning starting QB, lost most of starting defense = open up the play calling and throwing more, lose 3 games.

2011 - look at '09. 2012 - Resembling 2010 but not finished just yet.

2013 - Most likely a first year starting QB, returning most starters on defense.

If Bama doesn't win it all again this season, which is unlikely, count on it next year!!! Not to shabby if ya ask me! ;)

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
2009 - First year starter at QB, great running back and most of defensive starters return = run the ball, safe calls for QB and play great defense, national champions. 2010 - Returning starting QB, lost most of starting defense = open up the play calling and throwing more, lose 3 games.

2011 - look at '09. 2012 - Resembling 2010 but not finished just yet.

2013 - Most likely a first year starting QB, returning most starters on defense.

If Bama doesn't win it all again this season, which is unlikely, count on it next year!!! Not to shabby if ya ask me! ;)
Next year has me worried a bit.
Not that we wont be a good team, but i could see us taking some lumps.
If a lot of the juniors leave for the draft-
AJ, CJ Mosley, DJ Fluker and Milliner.
Warmack, Jones , Lester and J. Williams graduating.
Could be in for some adjusting.

Of course we will return plenty of talent too though, so maybe it will all work out.

tide power fan

All-SEC
Nov 26, 2011
I hear all this talk about AJ being off, last week Cooper was hurt this week Cooper was still slowed then Norwood goes down, that will throw you off somewhat.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.