Questions about the SECCG (Parking, etc)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I have an opportunity to go to the SECCG because I'm a student with plenty of hours (haha) but I'm trying to figure out the financial restraints of everything. How much am I looking to pay for parking, what do people usually do for lodging after the game (travel a bit then stop where it is more affordable, etc)?

TideHead

All-SEC
May 19, 2003
With it being middle of the day, you can easily go over/back in the same day. A lot of people ride Marta, which is cheap. But, you'll wait in a long line after the game. Most of the lots near the stadium charge around forty bucks

AlabamaSooner

All-SEC
Jun 28, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I have an opportunity to go to the SECCG because I'm a student with plenty of hours (haha) but I'm trying to figure out the financial restraints of everything. How much am I looking to pay for parking, what do people usually do for lodging after the game (travel a bit then stop where it is more affordable, etc)?
Solution: Sell me your ticket. You make some money and don't have to worry about parking. Just a thought.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The only way for me to gain ownership of the ticket is to drive all the way to the Georgia Dome's will-call booth and I seem to remember the Atlanta Police Department being pretty stick on 3rd party ticket selling around the stadium. So I'm either going to the game or leaving my ticket for another student to enjoy.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Since you are coming in from the west side of Atlanta, MARTA is not really an option for you. That part of town is not really the best, safety-wise, and I would never leave my car in a lot at any of those stations. You're going to have to drive all the way to downtown. However, that doesn't mean you have to park right next to the Dome. If you don't mind walking a little bit you can find lots for way less than $40. There are street lots in the downtown area, a little bit east of the Dome, that will be in the $10 or less range, but will require a six to ten block walk. Atlanta is not Tuscaloosa. We are used to having thousands of people converging on downtown for conventions and sporting events and there is plenty of parking.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
if you can get 2 you can park for free at my house and I'll drive you to the game, pay $40 to park next to the stadium and buy you beer throughout the game :) course the extra ticket will be for me

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
There is nothing wrong with the west side of Atlanta and taking the Marta in. That being said, if you are going to drive, pay the $30 parking so you won't be stuck in the Marta station for an hour with everyone else. You are going to pay twice that in gas anyway.

peariver

1st Team
Jan 31, 2009
SW Georgia
I took Marta to both Alabama/Florida games and it was packed going north to Buckhead. The east/west trains were empty in comparison. Being that Georgia is the east team and those games against Florida were at night, I would not think Georgia fans would use Marta as much as Florida fans because a majority of them will not be staying overnight in a hotel.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Since you are coming in from the west side of Atlanta, MARTA is not really an option for you. That part of town is not really the best, safety-wise, and I would never leave my car in a lot at any of those stations. You're going to have to drive all the way to downtown. However, that doesn't mean you have to park right next to the Dome. If you don't mind walking a little bit you can find lots for way less than $40. There are street lots in the downtown area, a little bit east of the Dome, that will be in the $10 or less range, but will require a six to ten block walk. Atlanta is not Tuscaloosa. We are used to having thousands of people converging on downtown for conventions and sporting events and there is plenty of parking.
I know plenty of folks who have parked at the west side Marta lots for the ga dome games and have never had problems. It's a very inexpensive, and relatively efficient way to get in and out of town for the game. You could also take i285 down to the college park or east point Marta stations on the south side of town and ride in from there.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I live in ATL and have been to the dome many, many times for events. The parking there is usually $20-30 and literally adjacent to the stadium. You can park for less on surface street lots (look around Luckie St for a couple) and walk to the stadium. MARTA is great but you're gonna wait in a HUGE queue after the game to get on a train - as long as you're prepped for that it's a good option. I agree with the other posters... with a 4pm EST kick you could leave Tuscaloosa in the morning, allow plenty of time for tailgating and still be back home by midnight - no need for a hotel IMO... we do the drive the opposite nearly every week and it's completely doable, so definitely get the tickets and come cheer on the Tide.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Yeah, my girlfriend and I both got ticket offers from the University. She has never been to a road Alabama game, so it is kind of important she gets the opportunity once before she graduates from undergrad. What a game to do that for, eh?

This is good intel though. I haven't been to the dome since I was young, so I wanted to make sure that this wasn't going to turn into a money drainer right before Christmas. I know some of these NFL stadiums can get pretty absurd with the cost of parking but it doesn't seem to be out of line with what you'd pay to park in Tuscaloosa on gameday. I'm also guessing that the traffic out of the stadium and back onto 85 to 20 isn't like the stuff people experience getting out of Tuscaloosa on Saturday which makes the ability to make a trip back to Tuscaloosa a little easier.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The Vine City Marta Station on Northside Dr is the closest Marta station to the Ga Dome. The worst crowd problem, by far, is at the Dome/CWCC/Philips Arena/CNN Center Station.

Here is what Marta has to say about that:

"The Georgia Dome is located at 1 Georgia Dome Drive NW, in between theDome/GWCC/Philips Arena Station and the Vine City Station on the blue/green rail line that runs east and west through Atlanta.

The Vine City stop will have less traffic and put you more easily on street level near the Dome, while the Dome Station has a direct entrance into the building on a lower level."

http://martaguide.com/2009/09/28/marta-to-the-georgia-dome/

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I'm also guessing that the traffic out of the stadium and back onto 85 to 20 isn't like the stuff people experience getting out of Tuscaloosa on Saturday which makes the ability to make a trip back to Tuscaloosa a little easier.
Don't go that way... go south on Northside Drive and you'll pick up 20 at McDaniel (I think that's right, use Google Maps). Going back through downtown is a mess after the event since most folks will go to hotels there or in Buckhead. Go as far west and south as you can from the dome to reduce traffic... it will send you into the 'hood a bit but nothing too bad. Just don't get off the interstate near the airport and go wandering around after midnight.

Dogtown Darren

3rd Team
Oct 31, 2004
Powder Springs, Ga.
I live just outside of Atlanta (on the west side), and have been to tons of events at Philips Arena (former Thrashers STH) and the dome. My thoughts:

*IF* money is a primary concern for you, I'd recommend riding MARTA, and board the train at H.E. Holmes. It is a bit 'hood, but I've parked there many times and never had a problem. Common sense is the rule, though. After the game, don't go into the parking lot alone, linger around and go with a group. Leaving the game will be a mother, with long lines. If this doesn't bother you, have at it.

*IF* you can stand to part with $20-30, I would highly recommend driving. As stated, there are several official lots and gypsy lots in the area. Use good judgement, though, when it comes to gypsy lots. Arrive EARLY to the dome area and make a lap or two to gauge prices, just a few blocks can make a big difference in the $$$.

As for food, I recommend the CNN Center. It's your basic food court, Chick Fil A, Wendys, pizza joint, etc. Also, there's several beer places that sell big cups of beer reasonable (if beer is your thing). It tends to get crowded, but seating is plentiful. Also, there's a Taco Mac at the CNN Center, but it's a bit small, and seating can be a chore, but the wings are excellent. The CNN Center is a short walk from the Dome.

As for getting into the Dome: **ARRIVE EARLY**! I can't stress this enough. There are surprisingly few entrances into the Dome, and security getting in is WAY over the top and SLOW. If you wait close to game time to go in, you're gonna be screwed.

Let me know if I can be of any help or if you have any questions.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.