You Make the Call - Oct 13

Alanbama27

All-American
Sep 24, 2003
Hoover, Alabama, USA
Hawk - Please explain as I am still a bit unclear.

This was definitely one of those situations where an official group would like have to discuss it. However, my question is this...

If the 4 periods had ended and overtime had begun, how is it that you would go back to the 4th quarter and have a free kick? It seems in this situation that the game would end because the penalty was on that team and since they gave up a safety themselves, it's over. I understand in normal situations that a game or half can't end on an accepted penalty (I don't know why I didn't think of that before but that's why I'm not an official) however, in this case with it being OT and at that point Sudden Death OT because with a 1 point advantage there was NO chance for a tie, so it was either win or lose for the Red team.

Anyway, just trying to understand the rule better.

Thanks!

tidehawk

HS Moderator
Staff member
Feb 9, 2001
Wetumpka, AL
Jake, you were right - I wasn't thinking. Once the ball broke the plane of the endzone it would be a touchback. Your scenario would probably be the best way to handle it.

AlanBama, the last play would not be in OT - if you have a foul that is accepted and the end of a period, the period is extended for one untimed down. Since the last play was a safety, the untimed down would actually be the kick after the safety.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.