Injuries Have Added Up this Year. The Biggest?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not an excuse for our recent struggles, but mounting injuries have no doubt contributed. The Biggest?

1. The most obvious has to be the loss of Jalston Fowler. He was a beast and we have missed his contribution at RB and HB. Would have probably been a key contributor in the last four plays against A&M. Who knows? With his presence we may have never even been in that situation.

2. AJ. He's been playing hurt. I imagine there are a few people in the know on this, but I've heard he's a lot more hurt than most people know. No doubt this has affected his accuracy the last couple of games. If this is true, might could even move AJ's injury to #1 on this list. See additional comments under #4.

3. We lost Hart and White in the same game. Two key contributors gone within a few minutes of one another.

4. A. Cooper has been hobbled by an ankle. It could be argued that this "minor" injury my have cost us the A&M game. Did AJ under throw him on the long completion right before Yeldon fumbled because he knew he was slowed by the ankle injury??? Or was it AJ's injury that wouldn't allow him to lead AC? If the throw is where it should have been AC scores and TD and Yeldon doesn't fumble...at least a 7 point swing...maybe 14.

5. Chris Black was lost in the preseason. We were hearing great things about him.

6. Eddie Lacy's toe. Despite playing through it, has this caused Nuss to not lean on him as heavily in the running game? EL is definitely our most reliable and powerful runner.

What else am I missing?

Last edited:

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
Not sure what you're seeing but Lacy looked very good against A&M. If anything, this week will provide our players a chance to rest and take some time off to heal some of their injuries.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not sure what you're seeing but Lacy looked very good against A&M. If anything, this week will provide our players a chance to rest and take some time off to heal some of their injuries.
Was actually asking a question there about EL (have since edited it with a question mark). Agree that he's looked strong lately, but earlier in the season the talk was he was still struggling. The question is did his nagging injury set a pattern for not relying on him as much? I don't know.

brutetough

1st Team
Dec 11, 2010
how about the injuries on defense? Fulton, Milliner. I thought we lost another DB to injury preseason too.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
how about the injuries on defense? Fulton, Milliner. I thought we lost another DB to injury preseason too.
Jarrack Williams I think. Can't remember how much of a contributor he would have been. Fulton played pretty well against A&M so his injury is brand new. Milliner has been in a out with minor stuff, but he's been pretty reliable.

BamaMan09

All-SEC
Feb 26, 2009
and BTW every team this time of year is banged up in some way. Georgia has lost a couple of starting receivers and LSU has lost multiple starters.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
As much as I hated to lose white the emergence of Cooper has softened that blow. It does seem McCarron's not been the same since he left the Miss State game with injury, but he passed for 300 yards last week so for now I'll have to table that.

The biggest in my opinion are Fowler and Hart. For one if we had Fowler running fullback would Nussmeier opted for the pass on 4th and 1? I seriously doubt it. and I think we would have scored.

I believe losing hart is one reason our third down efficiency has been inefficient. He was small enough to slip through tiny gaps in the defense and once he found space he was lightning quick. We probably have plays we aren't running today because we don't have another Hart.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
and BTW every team this time of year is banged up in some way. Georgia has lost a couple of starting receivers and LSU has lost multiple starters.
Never said that wasn't the case. Just talking about our team and how it has affected us as the year as gone on. :conf2:

CHATTBRIT

Hall of Fame
Dec 3, 2003
Falling Water, TN
Every team has to have a certain amount of luck to win the NC whether it be freedom from major injuries, lucky bounce of the ball, etc. This year we have not been as lucky injury-wise but that is just part of the game. I have to agree that Fowler is the biggest loss to the team.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I'd go Fowler. That might just be biased cause he is one of my favorite players. But I really enjoyed seeing him slam people at fullback and then taking a handoff and running off for 15. I get somewhat jealous of LSU when I see Copeland just destroying some of the teams they play. A good FB is a really good asset for a team like us especially given our lack of a Smelley type this year.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I think without a doubt Fowler is the biggest loss. I think Hart is bigger from a special teams side of things than at RB.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
You know, I put JF on my list at #1, but I'm pretty sure we're still undefeated and playing dominant football if AJ doesn't struggle the last two games.

Would JF's presence, despite AJ's injuries got us through the last two in easier fashion OR is AJ's injuries despite JF's loss earlier in the season the main reason we've struggled on offense the last two games?

Perhaps Fowler's injury is the biggest, but AJ's has more radically affected our recent offensive struggles.

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Injuries are just a part of the game. If any team is equipped to handle them, it is Alabama. It seems a backup QB should have gotten a lot more playing time at this point.

CrimSonami

All-American
Jul 17, 2011
Ardmore, AL; too close to 10erC
J. Fowler hands down.
This. Fowler going down hurt the team as a whole the most. His versatility as a blocker, runner and receiver combined with his complete team first mentality can't be matched. With Fowler in the backfield the opposing defenses had to respect and prepare for options others on our roster can't duplicate.

I truly hope Jalston makes a full and rapid recovery. Not just for Bama's sake but for him and his future NFL career as well. He reminds me of Michael Turner of the Falcons.

RTR!!!

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
Its probably been stated and I missed it, but what is the deal with AJ and his injury? Is it his back, shoulder or arm. I winced when he got drove to the ground against Miss St. I hoped he was alright, but real quick you saw his reactions on sideline and knew he was dinged up. What is he playing through?

No doubt the injury to Fowler because he allowed that there be no personnel change when changing some of the possible formations we operated from. Any word on his rehab progress?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Its probably been stated and I missed it, but what is the deal with AJ and his injury? Is it his back, shoulder or arm. I winced when he got drove to the ground against Miss St. I hoped he was alright, but real quick you saw his reactions on sideline and knew he was dinged up. What is he playing through?

No doubt the injury to Fowler because he allowed that there be no personnel change when changing some of the possible formations we operated from. Any word on his rehab progress?
I hoped someone with a little more info on AJ might have chipped in. The official injury report on him was "sprained knee" and then "back contusion." I've heard the back contusion is not the full discloser and I honestly don't know but I'd guess it has something to do with his shoulder.

BamaFlum

Hall of Fame
Dec 11, 2002
S.A., TX, USA
I hoped someone with a little more info on AJ might have chipped in. The official injury report on him was "sprained knee" and then "back contusion." I've heard the back contusion is not the full discloser and I honestly don't know but I'd guess it has something to do with his shoulder.
We may never know and I wouldn't want our opponents to know anyway.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.