Your Favorite Soups/Stews, etc. For Fall??

bayoutider

Administrator Emeritus & Chef-in-Chief
Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Hummm, never thought of using flour tortillas for dumplings, will have to try that. I have used canned biscuits though and once tried frozen dumplings that weren't that bad but not that good either.

BamaArrived2006

All-American
Apr 2, 2003
Marietta, Georgia
My Nana is almost 58...and I'm one of the few who knows where she hides her recipes... :biggrin2:...but also I'm probably the only female in my family that would even use the recipes any way so no matter what I'm gettin it!!!

:biga2:

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
mrs exiled makes a taco soup that's awesome. I'll discover the recipe & post it.

She also makes a pretty awesome chili.

I love corn & crab bisque, & gumbo. (Some latent cajun gene)

exiled

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
bamabound2006 said:
My Nana is almost 58...and I'm one of the few who knows where she hides her recipes... :biggrin2:...but also I'm probably the only female in my family that would even use the recipes any way so no matter what I'm gettin it!!!

Why he11 BB, your Nana is still a young chick.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
It's getting a little cooler up here where I am so my project for tomorrow is to make some soup. I think I am hungry for some potato leek soup.

POTATO LEEK SOUP

INGREDIENTS:

2 leeks cut lengthwise and use just the white and light green part. Rinse in a collander for a while to get all the sand and dirt out. Then slice the leeks into a small dice.

3 lbs youkon gold or russet potatoes peeled and diced.

6 cups chicken stock

2 cups cream or whole milk

2 tbsp butter

1/3 lb slab bacon diced

chopped chives

grated parmesan cheese

salt & pepper

COOKING:

Saute' bacon in pan, remove bacon and drain on paper. Add shallots and butter to pan, saute' till shallots are translucent.

In large pot cook diced potatoes in chicken stock till tender. Add the leeks to the pot. Put at least half the potatoes in blender or food processor and give them a buzz. You can use a stick blender for this also but leave some potato for texture. Add the bacon and start simmer. Add milk or cream to desired consistancy. Salt and pepper to taste.

To serve sprinkle with parmesan cheese and chopped chives and big wedge of cornbread.

BamaLuver

G&C | FB Moderator
Aug 16, 2000
Mobile, AL
Bayou: That soup sounds delicious (minus the cheese for me of course)! :) Our cool weather lasted a whole day and a half!

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
BamaLuver said:
Bayou: That soup sounds delicious (minus the cheese for me of course)! :) Our cool weather lasted a whole day and a half!
OK, omit the cheese and add some diced ham. :D

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
bamabound2006 said:
LOL!!!!!!! I'm not sure what it is but it's a love of chili powder and it's the whole made with love thing, cause Pepsi poured by Nana tastes better and that's just not to the grandkids either my best friend will testify to that!!!

Sounds to me like your Nana missed her calling, she probably should have been a bartender. If she can make Pepsi taste good, just imagine what she could do with Jack and Coke.

ambush32

Oct 3, 2005
This one will beat Bayou's recipe

My family has been cooking this stew for years on Sunday mornings (off football season, of course). If you attend church, put this stew on in the morning as soon as you wake up (prepare the night before). By the time you get back home, a wonderful smell will permeate your house, and perfectly done beef and vegetables will await your family.

Debi’s Beef Stew

1 envelope onion soup mix
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. paprika
2 cans cream of celery, mushrooms, or onion soup
1 can water
1 cup cooking sherry
3 lb. chuck roast, cubed
Carrots
Onions
Potatoes

Blend first 7 ingredients and heat. Add roast and vegetables. Cover and cook at 250° for about 6 to 6 ½ hours.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
Re: This one will beat Bayou's recipe

My family has been cooking this stew for years on Sunday mornings (off football season, of course). If you attend church, put this stew on in the morning as soon as you wake up (prepare the night before). By the time you get back home, a wonderful smell will permeate your house, and perfectly done beef and vegetables will await your family.

Debi’s Beef Stew

1 envelope onion soup mix
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. paprika
2 cans cream of celery, mushrooms, or onion soup
1 can water
1 cup cooking sherry
3 lb. chuck roast, cubed
Carrots
Onions
Potatoes

Blend first 7 ingredients and heat. Add roast and vegetables. Cover and cook at 250° for about 6 to 6 ½ hours.

Sounds good Ambush but I would encourage everyone to brown the meat before adding it to the stew. ;)

SCrammerjammer

1st Team
Sep 4, 2000
South Carolina
On that Bean Soup:

I tried that. The ham hock made it for us. So, the next time, I boiled 3 ham hocks and added them (drained of fat) to the soup made with the 1 ham hock prepared as printed above. I also kept the ham hocks whole as digging for the meat was also part of the fun. Oh, don't worry, the other ham hocks still have a lot of fat. Just gotta get over it.

Fix some turnip greens and bake a sweet tater, too, with your best cornbread. Have plenty of sweet tea with lots of lemon around. You won't have room for desert, but if you do, try the Jack Daniels Turtle Pie or Maple Pecan Pie on this board. I also like the pecan pie on the Karo Syrup bottle. LOL.

It'll make you yell Rammer Jammer!

Last edited:

GrandBayTider

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2004
Prattville, AL
Kens New Orleans Corn & Sausage Bisque

4 tbs. Butter (I use real butter for this, what the hell)
2 tbs. flour
½ cup chopped onions
2 lbs smoked sausage, cut into bite size pieces
1 qt. Milk (whole milk, again, what the…ya gotta die sometime)
1 16 oz. can cream style corn
1 10 ½ oz. can cream of potato soup, undiluted
1 tbs. Tabasco sauce (slightly less, or to taste)
1 tbs. Cajun seasoning
½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
¼ cup chopped parsley sprigs

[1]. In a large pot, melt butter
[2]. Add flour and blend thoroughly
[3]. Add onions and smoked sausage; sauté mixture over medium heat for 5 minutes, note: (you may need to add a little more butter or oil at this point).
[4]. Add next five ingredients (through Cajun seasoning), cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
[5]. If desired, before serving sprinkle with cheese and parsley.

Good with hot cheese biscuits if ya got em..
I tried this recipe when it posted a few weeks back and it is AWESOME!!! Of course I had to try some changes though ;) I added some crawfish tails to go with the sausage. With the corn and potatoes and Cajun seasonings it was like a boil in a bowl. One of my new favorite recipes thank you so much for posting this.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
On that Bean Soup:

I tried that. The ham hock made it for us. So, the next time, I boiled 3 ham hocks and added them (drained of fat) to the soup made with the 1 ham hock prepared as printed above. I also kept the ham hocks whole as digging for the meat was also part of the fun. Oh, don't worry, the other ham hocks still have a lot of fat. Just gotta get over it.

Fix some turnip greens and bake a sweet tater, too, with your best cornbread. Have plenty of sweet tea with lots of lemon around. You won't have room for desert, but if you do, try the Jack Daniels Turtle Pie or Maple Pecan Pie on this board. I also like the pecan pie on the Karo Syrup bottle. LOL.

It'll make you yell Rammer Jammer!
You can't have too many ham hocks in bean soup. :D

If you can find them Smoked turkey legs, wings or necks area a fantastic substitute for pork in these soups. A few years ago I used to buy smoked turkey legs 2 to a pack at Sam's club, unfortunately there is no Sam's club here.

bayoutider

Oct 13, 1999
Tidefans.com
I tried this recipe when it posted a few weeks back and it is AWESOME!!! Of course I had to try some changes though ;) I added some crawfish tails to go with the sausage. With the corn and potatoes and Cajun seasonings it was like a boil in a bowl. One of my new favorite recipes thank you so much for posting this.
Crawfish, shrimp or crab would be a natural for this stew.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.