Tennessee Gets New NCAA Penalties from Lane Kiffin's Time at UT

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

The NCAA Division I Committee on Infractions announced today additional penalties for the University of Tennessee related to a major infractions case involving Willie Mack Garza, an assistant coach on the staff of head coach Lane Kiffin, during the 2009 season.

These penalties include a two-year extension of the probation issued during the 2011 infractions case, a reduction in official visits for the 2012-13 academic year from 51 to 47, a reduction in evaluation days during the spring 2012 evaluation period (already completed), and during unofficial visits during the fall of 2013, no complimentary tickets may be provided to prospective student-athletes for the first two conference games of the season.

The University met with the Committee on Infractions on October 13 for an expedited penalty hearing on an agreed upon summary disposition report submitted in June of 2012. The facts of the case, that Garza funded a prospect's unofficial visit to the University in 2009 and subsequently lied to the Enforcement staff when interviewed as an employee of the University of Southern California, were not in dispute. Resolution between the Committee on Infractions and the University of Tennessee regarding the penalties could not be reached and an expedited penalty hearing was held.

IH8Orange

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2000
Trussville, AL, USA
Wes Rucker with a great tweet about it:
I think the best analogy would be that Lane Kiffin was Tennessee's date to the company Christmas dinner. Lane got drunk, insulted all of Tennessee's coworkers, threw up on Tennessee's boss, stumbled into the company president and knocked him into the spinach dip, and then ran off with the former hotshot from accounting who was under investigation for cooking the books and was arrested the next week.

TNBama

1st Team
Apr 19, 2000
Knoxville, TN. USA
First find the one responsible and then shouldn't the school that the perpetrator is at (or the last place he was if he's left and not working) be the one to take the hit? That would be fair.
I agree. No matter how anyone dislikes a school, it doesnt seem fair that they would get additional penalties because a coach that had left for another school can lie to get more penalties against his former employer. So the precedence now set is a disgruntled former coach can just lie about his time there to add on more penalties. Scary precedence.

OBMS

1st Team
Jan 9, 2011

GreatMarch

All-SEC
Dec 10, 2010
Birmingham, AL
The key to this is this:

http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2011/9/27/2453500/the-willie-lyles-willie-mack-garza-connection

The last line-----

Who knows where this ends up but Dennis Dodd made an interesting comment on Twitter...
I can confidently say this is the tip of the iceberg. WL's Aug. 30 testimony in LA will bring down several schools.
Lyles is shrewd that's for sure and he is going to leave a lot of bodies in his path of destruction...

There's going to be many more---------
First names of the top of my head are LSU, Texas A&M and Oregon.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
The key to this is this:

http://www.conquestchronicles.com/2011/9/27/2453500/the-willie-lyles-willie-mack-garza-connection

The last line-----

Who knows where this ends up but Dennis Dodd made an interesting comment on Twitter...
I can confidently say this is the tip of the iceberg. WL's Aug. 30 testimony in LA will bring down several schools.
Lyles is shrewd that's for sure and he is going to leave a lot of bodies in his path of destruction...

There's going to be many more---------
Willy Lyles' name stuck out to me. He's going to bring down as many school as he can.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I just can't find a way to feel sorry or say anything that happens to 10rc is wrong or unfair.

Hate it for Hart, Dooley & Sal but lay with dogs you get fleas.

I wish I could pull a Samuel L Jackson on them.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.