Official NEW Expansion Thread: Ga. Tech to B1G?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: next round of expansion already getting underway

So they didn't want Missouri but would take Rutgers or Maryland? Doesn't make any sense.
The Big 10 had their eyes on Notre Dame the entire time. They didn't get Notre Dame, so they stopped at 12. The Notre Dame to ACC deal was really in Notre Dame's favor, no way the Big 10 or SEC would have catered to them that much. In turn, Notre Dame has propped up the ACC.

Remember, we heard some Maryland to SEC talk. It's purely a financial move, and if you consider the impact Texas A&M is having, you have to think there is some logic to adding teams for their market and not their prowess in football (although A&M seems to have both). Maryland clearly was thinking about leaving, and the Big 10 sees a way to move on from Notre Dame, without messing up the Big 10 powers that be. They might have also had a scare when Penn St. nearly has the death penalty, which would have resulted in a loss of their championship game. Maryland and Rutgers means more money, and less headache. However, if they had it to do over again I'm guessing they might have taken a harder look at Missouri.

I think geographic balance and expanding our TV market footprint would almost have to mean that we take two schools from the states of North Carolina and/or Virginia eventually.
It's going to be interesting to see how the ACC handles things. If Maryland does leave, it will show vulnerability within the ACC. The exit fee is massive, but FSU wanted out and most likely would have been out had the Big 12 not backed off (the Big 12 hates playing tough opponents).

I said before I do not believe the SEC should or will expand until the new contracts are inked. There's no incentive to do that, so even if the Big 10 makes this move, and there is a shift in power (the Big 12 is going to be keeping an eye on things, they don't want 12 teams, but they have to appreciate their vulnerability). The SEC has a couple of cautionary tales from the latest round of expansion. One is the scheduling difficulties, which will only increase with an addition. The other is Texas A&M. A&M was a fantastic addition, but it was almost too good. A&M could become a beast in the West and that's especially bad for programs like Ole Miss, Auburn, and Arkansas, which generally need some breaks anyway. The Missouri addition showed the path the Big 10 is choosing, which is that they only solidified the teams at the top rather than unseating them. Georgia and Florida got another easy game on the schedule.

So, I think the SEC should be very deliberate with their next move since it is likely their last. I've advocated for Virginia and North Carolina, largely because they (like the proposed Big 10 additions) would only help and not hurt. You move Vandy over to the West, and you haven't messed with things too much. But, that's 100 million in exit fees along with other things. It will take a lot for that to even be a possibility, so until then the SEC should get their new TV deal, and wait patiently.

I'm sick of expansion. This last expansion has done us no good.
Really? The Alabama vs. Texas A&M match-up was the second highest rated game of the season. It only trailed Alabama vs. LSU. For starters, I'm not inclined to be upset about Alabama being in the two top rated games this season, and secondly without A&M in the conference I'm guessing this wouldn't have happened.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

2 voted against it, but that really doesn't matter since the majority voted for it. The measure passed and is binding to all member institutions. I just don't see anyone bolting casually from the ACC.
Maryland and FSU voted "No" on the measure. One is making a move, I don't see anything casual about it. If FSU get's an invite, they will bolt. Trust me! The reasons why they joined are no longer there for the ACC.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

FSU to the Big-XII is the supposed direction they would like to head...which makes more sense to me than adding them to the SEC at 16-teams. Keeping Texas out of the state of Florida seems like something to consider but Texas simply doesn't recruit out of their state very much. They sign the best in Texas and selectively recruit guys nationally (like a Dre Kirkpatrick, etc).

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

FSU to the Big-XII is the supposed direction they would like to head...which makes more sense to me than adding them to the SEC at 16-teams. Keeping Texas out of the state of Florida seems like something to consider but Texas simply doesn't recruit out of their state very much. They sign the best in Texas and selectively recruit guys nationally (like a Dre Kirkpatrick, etc).
Fact is they can't go anywhere without an invitation.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

I would love for that to happen at this point. We're already having scheduling problems, and with the addition of two more teams just imagine the consequences. We almost knocked ourselves out of the big one this year.

If the SEC and others go to 16 teams, pressure will be on teams like ND to join a conference.
Their sweetheart deal will end and they can drift without a rudder,
or join a conference to participate in a conference championship game.
I'm sure their decision will ultimately be to their favor...

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

Fact is they can't go anywhere without an invitation.
Agreed, but I think Kansas State is kinda getting screwed by the lack of a conference championship game. They only play one more game in this calendar year and I think if they had a B12CG in addition to Texas that they could make some movement in the BCS (the BCS likes the B12 this year). This makes the Big 12 potentially very interested in getting back to post-season championship eligibility in my opinion. I know they have a lot of talk about hating the championship game but I feel like the last two years a championship game could have made all the difference for them. Especially when Alabama was idle and Okie State could have gained a narrow edge over us with an additional quality win.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

would Va Tech and either UNC or Duke be good editions to the SEC or would they be like Mizzou , cuz the east is an easy division

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

We would not take Duke unless it was a package with UNC -- and I doubt that they would come. We ought to go for Va Tech and UNC or NC State. The latter has a better all around program...UNC is obviously the name in basketball. However, I doubt any of them would pay $50 million to leave...nor would the SEC pay it. I cannot believe Maryland will pay it...they are already hurting for money in their athletic programs. I cannot believe that the Big Ten wants UM. I have never seen a lot of class in any of their programs.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
next round of expansion already getting underway

Guys we can forget any of the Carolina teams. The ACC will likely look at Louisville to replace Maryland. If that happens it will send a message to "football" schools that basketball is king. FSU already not happy with the addition of Syracuse .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DCETP

Scout Team
Sep 29, 2012

I went to NC State for graduate school after graduating from UA. It's a great school academically, but I'm not sure how well they would fit in the SEC. The football fans are pretty enthusiastic, but the gameday atmosphere is absolutely NOTHING like at an SEC school. Part of that is because the stadium is quite a ways away from the campus, much too far to walk. There is space for tailgating, but it's just a fairground parking lot. Not as cool as tailgating on campus IMO. That being said, I would be interested to see how well coach O'Brien could do if he could manage to get some better recruits due to being the in SEC. Anyway, the obvious schools in the ACC that would fit well in the SEC are Clemson and FSU.

As far as the effect of conference expansions on Alabama, I have a hard time seeing how it wouldn't hurt us. Our schedule is tough enough as it is (this year might be an exception since several teams we thought would be good weren't such as Arkansas and Mich). But replacing the Western Carolinas and Western Kentuckys with Clemsons and FSUs would make it awfully darn tough to run the table. Now, if all the conferences go to 16 teams this effect may even out. If it doesn't result in fewer undefeated teams all over the country, it could result in fewer SEC BCSNC's, as the SEC teams all eat each other while PAC/Big's coast into the big game on easier schedules.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

I didn't like the idea of us expanding past 12 and I don't want us to go to 16. I don't like the idea of goign years without palying someone in football. Even with a nine game schedule, a 16 team league would have the same issues as eight games with 14 teams. But if the others bulk up to 16, I don't want us to be stuck with bottom feeder teams when we go to 16.

Maryland just dropped all their men's track and cross country teams, both men and women's swimming, men's tennis, women's water polo and the women's competitive cheer teams. But they can afford $50 million to leave the ACC?

uafootball92

1st Team
Sep 21, 2005
St. Charles, Missouri

would Va Tech and either UNC or Duke be good editions to the SEC or would they be like Mizzou , cuz the east is an easy division
I would love the VaTech addition, but friends in Blacksburg tend to think there is no way that happens without VT and UVA being a package deal. I believe UVA helped out a lot to pull VT into the ACC from the Big East and both for the rivalry and the help, I think they would have to come together. Fine by me. Roanoke and most of the state of Virginia for VaTech and would probably encompass the DC area by adding both.

The Playmaker

2nd Team
Jan 9, 2011
T-town

Eventually there will only be power conferences with 14 or 16 teams. At first I didn't like our expansion but Texas A&M is a good program and Missouri brings many sports and academics. I can't see Clemson or FSU getting in because some teams would block the deal (USC and UF for instance). I would hope we bring Virginia Tech and North Carolina (outside shot)

West:
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Missouri
Mississippi
Mississippi St
Texas A&M

East:
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Virginia Tech

7 division games, 2 outside division games, and 3 out of conference games. One out of division game will be used as a rival (permanent) game so for us it would be Tennessee and the other game would rotate. Even though an expansion would make the conference tougher we're already the toughest conference and with other conferences adding schools it would remain at the disparity as it is now. This also eliminates so many games against div 2 games. I can understand 1 but 2 or more is kind of ridiculous, especially late in the season.

JeffAtlanta

All-American
Aug 21, 2007
Atlanta, GA (Buckhead)

I would love the VaTech addition, but friends in Blacksburg tend to think there is no way that happens without VT and UVA being a package deal.
UVa would never join the SEC. Neither would the Carolina schools. NC State might want to, but the NC legislature would never let them.

Schools like UNC and UVa are as likely to join the SEC as Michigan or Ohio State.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Eventually there will only be power conferences with 14 or 16 teams. At first I didn't like our expansion but Texas A&M is a good program and Missouri brings many sports and academics. I can't see Clemson or FSU getting in because some teams would block the deal (USC and UF for instance). I would hope we bring Virginia Tech and North Carolina (outside shot)

West:
Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
LSU
Missouri
Mississippi
Mississippi St
Texas A&M

East:
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Virginia Tech

7 division games, 2 outside division games, and 3 out of conference games. One out of division game will be used as a rival (permanent) game so for us it would be Tennessee and the other game would rotate. Even though an expansion would make the conference tougher we're already the toughest conference and with other conferences adding schools it would remain at the disparity as it is now. This also eliminates so many games against div 2 games. I can understand 1 but 2 or more is kind of ridiculous, especially late in the season.
Vandy and AU should swap and make the split geographical.......:cool2:

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I went to NC State for graduate school after graduating from UA. It's a great school academically, but I'm not sure how well they would fit in the SEC. The football fans are pretty enthusiastic, but the gameday atmosphere is absolutely NOTHING like at an SEC school. Part of that is because the stadium is quite a ways away from the campus, much too far to walk. There is space for tailgating, but it's just a fairground parking lot. Not as cool as tailgating on campus IMO. That being said, I would be interested to see how well coach O'Brien could do if he could manage to get some better recruits due to being the in SEC. Anyway, the obvious schools in the ACC that would fit well in the SEC are Clemson and FSU.

Bud, you've just described game day at South Carolina.

RhodeIslandRed

All-SEC
Dec 9, 2005

I think a 16 team conference can consider dividing into 4 divisions. A team would play everyone in its division as well as everyone in another division. The alternate division would rotate every other year. There will only need to be one championship game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.