Alabama "Small" Crowd yesterday

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I was very disappointed with the attendance also. Obviously, we don't take football serious as some like to say. I'm watching the UGA/Ga Southern replay right now and it looks like they have a full house. Not sure what our problem is.
LOL at this. You really think that was all UGA fans that packed the stadium? Think about it for a minute.....

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
There really is no need to worry so much over this. It was Western Carolina, for pete's sake. I promise that THIS upcoming Saturday will be entirely different. If given the choice between going to a game vs. an FCS team, or going to the Iron Bowl (a game in which the SEC West is on the line for us, I might add), which one do you think people are going to pick? No offense to the OP, but this thread is a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Tell me this. Was our game with Georgia Southern last year filled to capacity? How about two years ago on a Thursday night against Georgia State? Both of those were FCS teams played one week before the IB.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
Just want to point out that the A Day game (I know attendance is free bit it's far from Free for us) Still has more folks than any other school to see a practice.

Go on the road wherever even Duke, Bama fans travel well.

Its not been that long that Alabama added all the endzone upper section seats so in time you will see it full. They are just pricing me out of the market but it's because they are winning.

My Best Bama game experience was at Legion field Thanksgiving 1992 the Iron Bowl. We drove all night thru the worst rain ever, to get to a freezing cold Game. I will never forget it, it was worth it all.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
The opening day of gun season had a lot to do with not having a packed house but remember that playing a cup cake team before playing a rival especially when that rival is playing a cup cake team the same week end would have given an unfair advantage to one team or the other to have to play a tough opponent. If Bama had to play Tx. A&M the week before Albarn while Albarn played Ala A&M would have been unfair scheduling. No one would have guessed that Albarn was going to have such a crappy team this year. I'm afraind Bama will not have such an easy game against the Barn though as some might think. Remember the barn got up for LSU and had them playing for their life most of the game.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There is zero excuse for the SEC to have such a weak conference schedule this late in the season. There were three conference games yesterday. Outside of that, only Mizzou played a D-1A school (Syracuse), while the other seven SEC teams all played D1-AA. It's not entirely the schools fault. Almost every other school was playing a conference game yesterday. Playing the D1-AA teams, if it must be done, should be played in the first 2-3 weeks of the season, IMO. Give us exciting matchups this time of year.
There is zero excuse for an Alabama fan to not understand the necessity of the SEC programs taking a break late in the season. Saban has explained it, anyone that is at the game and sees the players in sweatpants should understand it. Give you an exciting match-up? I don't know, may be they'd rather give you a championship instead, but I guess that's just shortsightedness on their part.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
Is there something I am missing? Did *U go out and buy another once in a lifetime player in the last two weeks? I am not getting why some are so sold on auburn winning this Saturday. I don't see how a team that has looked as they have is suddenly going to turn it around in the last game of the season.

RedStar

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2005
The Shoals, AL
As much as I love basketball and attend as many games as possible most fans aren't going to drive an hour plus to catch a basketball game when we're in football country. As much as I would love getting sell outs for basketball more often, the crowds won't appear until we start winning more.
People don't have to drive hours. The Tuscaloosa Metro area has 221,000 people, not including students. It shouldn't be that hard to fill up, or nearly fill up a 15,000 seat arena on a semi regular basis.

All I was inferring with my post is that I wish we were as passionate about a top 25 SEC match-up in basketball as we are about an 11:00 AM kickoff against a 1-9 FCS team. I know basketball will never surpass football, I wouldn't necessarily want it to. But complaining about a 90% capacity crowd this past Saturday is just nitpicking.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
60%?? Were you near Tuscaloosa or is a Moo in order? The upper student section was sparse because of the well-documented lower-level crowding but other sections were 90-100% full.
No, they were not. I'd go as far as to say you could have packed the entire stadium into the lower bowl and two decks. But clearly I am an auburn fan for saying so.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
No, they were not. I'd go as far as to say you could have packed the entire stadium into the lower bowl and two decks. But clearly I am an auburn fan for saying so.
If I recall correctly, filling the lower bowl and 2 decks would amount to at least 80K fans in attendance (or at least 80% capacity).

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
There is zero excuse for an Alabama fan to not understand the necessity of the SEC programs taking a break late in the season. Saban has explained it, anyone that is at the game and sees the players in sweatpants should understand it. Give you an exciting match-up? I don't know, may be they'd rather give you a championship instead, but I guess that's just shortsightedness on their part.
Why can every other conference be playing conference games the next to last week of the regular season but the SEC for the most part does not? The conference schedule last weekend was an absolute joke, and it looks like the fans have now said they aren't willing to support it by not showing up. It would be one thing for this game to be played on say the first Saturday in November, but not the next to last week. It appears its going to end though, as several articles I have read about the SEC and ESPN/CBS contract renegotiations include the networks demanding better late season scheduling from the conference.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Why can every other conference be playing conference games the next to last week of the regular season but the SEC for the most part does not?
Is that a serious question?

Let me get this straight. Alabama played three straight AP top 15 teams in a row, an extremely rare occurrence for a #1 rated team. But, that's not enough. Nope, we need to make sure there's another conference game right after that because the gauntlet wasn't difficult enough as it was.

Another way of putting it is this. Those other conferences are not the SEC! They have built in cupcakes, because of the conferences they are in. They get plenty of chances to catch their breath. The SEC is brutal, the SEC is on a whole other level. You might as well have asked me why the SEC won the past 6 BCS championships and has a great chance at a 7th. You might as well ask why the SEC has never lost in the BCSCG. The SEC is different in a good way.

BamaDude06

1st Team
Sep 15, 2006
Let's be honest, of those three top 15 teams only two were legit. Outside LSU and aTm, Alabama has basically had 10 cupcakes this year.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Let's be honest, of those three top 15 teams only two were legit. Outside LSU and aTm, Alabama has basically had 10 cupcakes this year.
Let's be honest, LSU and A&M were Bama out. Consistently playing top teams week in and week out will kill a team. When Bama played Michigan, everyone in the nation thought they were going to be a top team. Same goes for Arkansas.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
I think when you play 8 SEC games there is nothing cup cake about it whoever you play. GA's road has not been so easy. Don't forget we added a game Michigan they were #8 at the time.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
If I recall correctly, filling the lower bowl and 2 decks would amount to at least 80K fans in attendance (or at least 80% capacity).
touche. Although I was thinking 20k for the east and west decks apiece and 10k for the endzones, So optimistically that would be 70k. Regardless, it was nowhere near 90% and I highly doubt it was anywhere near 80%. My personal guesstimate is 65-70k in attendance. And that's all I've got to say about that.

TIDE24

1st Team
Jan 12, 2000
Bartlett, TN
Please. The student section was just as empty as the rest of the stadium. The whole place was no more than 60% full. Regular seats are assigned though so it doesn't show up as easily. Lets stop blaming the students for every single empty seat in the stadium after every game. :rolleyes:
http://cw.ua.edu/2012/11/29/high-tide-low-turnout/

There were only 5,995 students there. It was 35% full. If the rest of the stadium was that full there would have been less than 30,000 other fans there and that was not the case. The student section has never been more than 80% full, since they expanded to 17,000 tickets, EVER. That is sad.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.