Question: How do we Stack Up Against Georgia

runtheoption22

News|BB|FB|REC Moderator
Staff member
Nov 10, 2003
Cleveland
They have as much, or near as much, talent on their team as we do. Their lines are physical and they have speed at the skill positions. Murray can light it up when he is on.

It will be interesting to see if UGA wants to try to run it on us or push the passing game on us. I think we can get away with playing nickel more against UGA than we did against LSU, just because they have speed at RB and not the bulldozers LSU has.

We will have to know where Jones is on the field defensively at all times.

All of that said, they have Richt.....and they usually underwhelm on the big stage.

BamaJeff

Hall of Fame
Oct 12, 1999
Dothan, AL.
I think we match up well. UGA is loaded with talent and is very capable of winning it all. But the Dawgs can be terribly undisciplined. Not just off the field as they always have players suspended before the start of the season, but on the field as well. It wouldn't surprise me if they have over 100 yards in penalties when we play them.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Georgia is a team that will look like a championship team one week then get blown out the next. So who knows which team will show up. But no matter what team shows up. The Alabama coaching staff can count on with almost a guarantee that offensive coordinator Mike Bobo will implement a high pace, no huddle type offense against our defense. Until we stop it, other teams will run it.

JIB

Suspended
Nov 2, 2011
Sterrett
Defensively they have more talent than we do, at least at the top. We may have more talent if you go 22 deep on defense, but I'd say defensively we're equal on talent. Talent does not win ball games.

Offensively they're pretty good. They've lost some WRs, but they have a lot of depth there. Once again, they're in our ballpark talent wise, though we're a bit more talented at just about every position.

Here's the thing - they have Mark Richt coaching them and Aaron Murray at QB. Richt got his win against a good team out of the way this year. Murray is leading the nation in passing efficiency, but that's against garbage teams.

Here's Murray overall - 28 TDs, 7 INTs. He piles up numbers against crap teams. Against Buffalo, Kentucky, Ole Miss, Auburn and Georgia Southern he's got 18 TDs and no INTs. Against Florida and South Carolina he's got 1 TD and 4 INTs.

If Saban coached Georgia against a Richt coached Alabama I'd pick UGA by double digits. Since it's the other way around I think Bama would win by double digits.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
It could be the LSU game all over again, or the Michigan game. A lot depends on Murray, IMO. If he's on, our secondary is pressured and their running game gets uncorked. If Murray can't deliver, their entire offense becomes very manageable for our defense. You could probably say the same about A.J. on our side of the ball, but I believe we have better run options.

I'm certainly not taking it for granted, however. LSU thought this was 2007, and Noder Dang thinks it's 1973. UGA is sure to try to channel their inner 1980 team, or at least their 1976 squad. This one could be tough.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I think we match up well. UGA is loaded with talent and is very capable of winning it all. But the Dawgs can be terribly undisciplined. Not just off the field as they always have players suspended before the start of the season, but on the field as well. It wouldn't surprise me if they have over 100 yards in penalties when we play them.
yeah, they were getting very chippy against Ga So. past weekend. also, they are very much a momentum team and if you get them frustrated, they will lose their mo quickly

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
They have really struggled in games where they can't run the ball...USC and UGA. It will be imperative for our defensive line to control their run game and for us to get pressure on Murray. Murray is short and tends to crumble under pressure.

I think in many ways they are similar to us and I expect it to be a close game. I hope our defense can find the answers to what LSU and TXAM did to us or it could be a long day.

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
Georgia is very good. They have the talent to run and throw effectively. Bama will have to play a complete and intense game to win.

bamagradinATL

All-American
Sep 12, 2006
McKinney, TX
I was listening to Sports Radio here in Atlanta this morning (680 I think). The topic of Murray came up and one of the knocks on him is that he doesn't play great against elite defenses. In the USCe game he was 11/31 for 109 yds and 1 INT. Against Florida he was 12/24 for 150 yds, 1 TD & 3 INT. We will see how he does against our D.

Jordan54

1st Team
Aug 20, 2007
Gardendale, Al
Georgia will be tough to beat and it will be a close game. Murray is good enough to take advantage of our secondary and make the plays when they have to. This game will come down to our offense. Can we put up enough points to win? I believe we do.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
I was listening to Sports Radio here in Atlanta this morning (680 I think). The topic of Murray came up and one of the knocks on him is that he doesn't play great against elite defenses. In the USCe game he was 11/31 for 109 yds and 1 INT. Against Florida he was 12/24 for 150 yds, 1 TD & 3 INT. We will see how he does against our D.
i heard the same thing about a guy named mettenburger before we played him.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Georgia will be tough to beat and it will be a close game. Murray is good enough to take advantage of our secondary and make the plays when they have to. This game will come down to our offense. Can we put up enough points to win? I believe we do.
we need to go out and run the ball down their throats AFTER we beat auburn.

yesitsmed23

1st Team
Aug 28, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Murray is very mistake prone as several have posted in this thread. He doesn't impress me as a QB, I don't get what people see in him? Not only is he mistake prone, his best WR and 1 other WR are done for the year, the white guy? and Marlon Brown? I see it close early, but we win big in the end.....as long as we cram the football down their throats with Lacy and Yeldon

They will be uptempo to try to match what aTm did. That's the thing with doing what another team did against Alabama. I remember a team doing something similar last season, and crossed the 50 twice one going and one coming. (I know it was just once but they crossed it going backwards too, give them credit)

Power Eye

All-SEC
Aug 3, 2005
Georgia has a ton of talented players, but few outside of Jarvis Jones have lived up to expectations. Their freshmen runninbacks are very good but have struggled more in the second half of the season. One thing I think we might see is Murray running some. If you think he is strictly a pocket passer, then you are wrong. He can hurt you with his legs, not like Manziel can, but he is very athletic.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
I just can't see their offensive line blocking us well enough to establish the run. If they do, we're in trouble.

If we keep it one dimensional, we put the onus on Murray and he's shown an inclination to panic. When he panics, he starts throwing high and wildly. It's happened enough in big games that I believe it's just part of his nature.

That said, they have extreme talent at the skill positions -- particularly on defense. We can't let Jones or Ogletree or Rambo beat us. We need to "Boise them" by effectively mixing up the run and throw. Too many 3rd and 8's and A.J. could become the next logo on the Georgia Dome turf.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.