Question: Can Geno Be Our Third DB?

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
Nick Saban's defense has never been at it's best without three outstanding corners. We entered the season not having that and it concerned me. Assuming Milliner goes pro (he's probably a 1st rounder at this point) we may face the same issue next season. An awful lots depends on the development of Smith and Fulton. If they and Belue were as a group collectively better next season it would go a long way. Even with that we would need depth so players like Bradley Selve need to get better and if there is a high schooler who can play immediately we need to get him.

I think our safeties have looked bad at times because they have been asked to provide more coverage than normal. Sunsuri in particular is more of a run support and blitzer kind of safety.
I think you mean't to say Coach Nick Saban:)

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I think we need Vinnie on the field...for playmaking and run support if nothing else. Just don't ask him to to cover a WR, let alone a star WR. LSU exposed that. Kind of like asking me to dunk a basketball. No matter how much film study and conditioning I've done, that just isn't going to happen.

He can cover most TEs. He can cover a lot of RBs, just not those small fast Harvin / McCalebb types. But asking him to cover a WR is putting him in a position where he can't succeed.

Having gotten a lesson from LSU on the perils of putting him in that position, I'm sure Saban and Smart have worked out a countermeasure.

I'm thinking a Corey Reamer-type role is in his future. Reamer started as a DB, then moved to a LB role, mostly in pass situations. Sunseri is, however, better at run support than Reamer was.

Heisman4Bama

1st Team
Jun 18, 2010
I wonder if Landon Collins will eventually make a move to corner? He seems to fit that mold and when he is in, he seems to have very good cover skills.

lincoln_osiris

1st Team
Feb 11, 2009
Don't think we plan for Vinnie to have to cover the other teams star receiver...they force those mismatches by alignments and motions. Especially against hurry up offenses, it is hard for us to adjust the coverage. I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a linebacker role in the next couple years against hurry up offenses. Then we could move some of our bigger linebackers up to DE similar to what we often did with Hightower.

LCN

FB | REC Moderator
Sep 29, 2005
Travell Dixon, I believe -

Apparently had been rated higher coming out of JUCO than Belue, but that didn't translate into his performance after he joined the Tide...
Dixon didn't play football until he was half way through high school so it was no shock or surprise that he had difficulty catching on . That's also why he initially took the JUCO route . I'm thinking one day he'll likely look back and wish he would have stuck it out at Alabama and redshirted .

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Dixon didn't play football until he was half way through high school so it was no shock or surprise that he had difficulty catching on . That's also why he initially took the JUCO route . I'm thinking one day he'll likely look back and wish he would have stuck it out at Alabama and redshirted .
He could have redshirted or done like Geno. Learn the system as the season progressed and gotten better to contribute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
He could have redshirted or done like Geno. Learn the system as the season progressed and gotten better to contribute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, so my post may not be what I typed thanks to auto correct. Also, I may need an emoticon but cannot use one in this post.
JUCOs aren't recruited to redshirt...as a general rule.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.