Link: NCAA investigating Auburn's football program

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Trooper is there because they've got to maintain communication lines with their recruits, even if the coaching situation is up in the air. Imagine the catastrophe if they just canned everyone at the Barn. I will be shocked if the new head coach keeps Trooper around.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
Didn't they self report on the forged transcript? So, if a way, they did call the NCAA themselves....
As I understand it, Auburn called the Memphis High School about the altered transcript. I have not seen where AU reported the irregularity to the NCAA. If they did, it was AFTER the altered transcript had been submitted by Auburn to the NCAA clearinghouse. How else could the NCAA have known that two different transcripts existed...the one from Auburn and the one from Notre Dame. i'e' the evidence seems to point that whatever Auburn did, they did it AFTER it was obvious that the altered transcript wouldn't fly.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
Trooper is there because they've got to maintain banking lines with their recruits, even if the coaching situation is up in the air. Imagine the catastrophe if they just canned everyone at the Barn. I will be shocked if the new head coach keeps Trooper around.
FIFY :biggrin2:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I would think that Petrino is desperate enough to agree to keeping BVG, Trooper and Luper. And with that said, look for Petrino on the plains sooner than later.

gwilliams

1st Team
Aug 29, 2011
Chiz is figurehead, yes-man head coach. PTB in smoke filled room loved him as he was already 'down home" from previously being at Auburn. I believe Blowder knew his chances at getting a NC were about to go away because without his BoT seat, football would be harder to control. Plus with Saban across state, the time to act was upon him. ALL-IN wasn't just a slogan, it was a shove of booster money to the center of the AU football pot.

IMO with a yesman head coach, the PTB hired the most aggressive recuiting assistants known to the CFB world, giving not one care about their past reputations. This includes Malz with his street agent connection in Arky. Malz is no choir boy, remember he was the last of the coaches asking Lattimore's mom what was it going to take to get Marcus to play for Auburn. She blasted them for their tactics. He also was the one screaming at Chiz to get Cam, supposedly Chiz didn't want Cam at first.

Since Jay Jacobs was not fired, there is still a link to the old school PTB to manipulate things. Trooper and Luper's continued employment may end up being a condition of the next coaches hire. If Auburn has to sacrifice fire them to appease the NCAA, I say they still get their buy out money---even if there are NCAA sanctions-same with Chiz. I believe Troop and Lupe especially are joined at the hips with AU PTB and complicit in their tactics. Regardless of contractual wording, they'll still get their money.

With the bad 2011 season, the PTB likely thought that with all the recuiting talent their 'hired guns' had brought in, all it should take is a couple of decent coordinators, hence Uncle Rico and Loueffwaffer. Now the whole house of cards has collapsed.

Incidentally, that Chiz contract change says Auburn can't withhold certain parts of his money WHILE an NCAA investigation is on going. On paper he can still be terminated for NCAA violations. But in a smoke filled room, dey don't need no stinkin' contracts and Chiz still gets his money.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I may be wrong, but I don't see petrino being told to keep trooper and luper and him going along with it. Those 2 clowns will have a hard time finding a job once this ncaa mess is sorted through.

TideFan in AU

Hall of Fame
I don't think that Auburn believes the NCAA can tie Trooper to major violations being they kept him on the staff to keep recruiting, even in the interim. I expect Auburn to get a secondary violation at the most out this investigation. I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen this play out too many times. When this first broke, the local big time boosters were scrambling, but now they are smug and not concerned about it - just like the Cam fiasco. Someone has told them there is nothing major to worry about. I heard that one said at the worst they may have to disassociate with Memphis PE teacher, but that didn't matter to them anyway. Again, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm prepared to watch them skate again.

Highway59

1st Team
Jan 29, 2009
In Alabama off "highway59"
I may be wrong, but I don't see petrino being told to keep trooper and luper and him going along with it. Those 2 clowns will have a hard time finding a job once this ncaa mess is sorted through.

I'm not so sure about ole bobby having issues with personnel being on the staff for reasons other than those listed in a departmental jobs description manual.;) See exhibit A

Exhibit A.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I'm not so sure about ole bobby having issues with personnel being on the staff for reasons other than those listed in a departmental jobs description manual.;) See exhibit A
We all know he's a mess, but Auburn is a coaching graveyard. If he can't at least have control of his staff, I see no reason for him to take the Auburn job. He'd be better off taking a lower level job to rebuild his reputation. Once he starts winning, (and he WILL win if it's against lesser competition) he can then move up to a high profile job that hasn't become as complete a train wreck as Auburn.

The only way I see the Auburn job being at all desirable is a lot of guaranteed money. They will fire you if you have a bad season, so you better get your money up front.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We all know he's a mess, but Auburn is a coaching graveyard. If he can't at least have control of his staff, I see no reason for him to take the Auburn job. He'd be better off taking a lower level job to rebuild his reputation. Once he starts winning, (and he WILL win if it's against lesser competition) he can then move up to a high profile job that hasn't become as complete a train wreck as Auburn.

The only way I see the Auburn job being at all desirable is a lot of guaranteed money. They will fire you if you have a bad season, so you better get your money up front.
Pretty much agree. Petrino will coach again...it's not a matter of if but when. He can either sit it out right now or go the route you describe but he will coach at a high profile place again.

But the idea that he "has" to take the Auburn job is a little crazy. If he thinks there is NCAA trouble I don't think he'll go there.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.