Kirby says "no thanks" to Kentucky.....

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It's hard to believe that Kirby wouldn't seize the opportunity to revive such a storied football program :)

Maybe they should hire Ellis Johnson who proclaimed to USM Alumni upon his hiring, "I will take USM to places they've never been before".

Hey he delivered. USM has never even been close to going 0-12 and the man is just one game away from making history!!!

sip

1958againbear

1st Team
Jan 27, 2011
Kirby Smart rejects overture from Kentucky

I'm going to miss this man when he does decide to leave us.
Couldn't have said it any better. While I hope that the man wouldn't end up at an SEC school so that we had to play against him (especially SEC West), he deserves to get a good HC job. Too bad for him that it looks like Richt will hold on to his job for another year and he won't be going to his alma mater. Then again I've kind of suspected GA has been trying to buy the best team they can buy the last couple of years in order to save CMR's job. I'd hate to see him get embroiled in some kind of mess wherever he ends up. I just think he's great and hope he gets what he deserves in the future as long as he doesn't beat us.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Terrible match Kentucky and Kirby. I doubt it had much smoke. Kentucky needs an offensive minded coach. They are not going to win national championships in football so at least entertain the fans. Although he ended up hurting the program with the NCAA, Hal Mumme filled the stadium. Even his leftover did o.k until he bailed.

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
He will be considered for almost any opening that comes up. No sense in taking one of the worst. Wait for the right time to make the leap.
I agree. Kentucky could make any head coach's career end quickly. Kentucky wouldn't even be a good stepping stone to a better job.

He just needs to be patient. His time is coming and it just may be before the end of this year. Tennessee would be a much better job. Sure would hate to see him go there. Hopefully, the Barn won't go after him. If Mullen left Mississippi State, would he go there? Coach Franklin at Vandy would be a very good hire for someone. I don't think even he would consider Kentucky.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I didn't know that he was also a basketball coach. I thought "Kingpin Calipari" was their coach!

TheSabanator

Suspended
Oct 1, 2011
Birmingham,Alabama
This statement probably won't be popular, but I think Saban is the one who is in control of the defense, not Kirby.
Sure, Kirby plays the DC role, but it is Saban's brain behind Kirby. Does anyone agree that Kirby Smart is overrated?
I am basically saying that Kirby is Saban's puppet.

Last edited:

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I agree 100% with..I still think Coach Saban is grooming him to take over when he retires..Lots of folks will disagree us & I can respect that..We all have our opinions..
Count me on your train as well, I think he has a handshake agreement that it's him and he has decided to not go anywhere. Of course I've been wrong before but this is simply my opinion as well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.