How much longer can Mack Brown last at Texas?

Braveheart

All-SEC
Feb 12, 2006
It just amazes me how this guy keeps his job with his year in and year out under achievements. He brings in these top 10, most of the time Top 5 recruiting classes and Texas just isn't very good. How can that be?

Ever since they lost to Bama a few years ago, it's like the wheels came off that program. They have great tradition, gobs and gobs of in state talent, great facilities, fan support. It's just mind boggling to me how Mack Brown could have his teams perform so badly and he keeps his job.

I have to think if he's not fired after this season, his coaching seat will be scorching hot next fall.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
His first "bad" year was 2010, so they wouldn't fire him after top ten finishes in seven of the nine prior seasons. They improved in 2011. This is really the first year his seat really becomes hot, in my opinion. His record has allowed him a little leeway.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Gruden would be perfect for them. He wouldn't be any better than, if as good as, Brown.

Probably the job he has been waiting on. He has said privately that he would get back in if the right one opened up.

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
My fear has always been that Texas would actually hire someone who is really good. They have recruiting, facilities & more money than God. I have one friend who is a TX alum, he covets CNS, but realizes that is likely a forlorn hope. He would also like Les Miles. As odd as that may seem, I would prefer Miles not have that kind of money & talent available to him.

Proxigean Tide

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
Dover, DE
The boost of Texas A&M from joining the SEC is going to make them extremely hard to compete with...Texas has to be the best team in their state but with Mack Brown they aren't. RTR.

FThomas

1st Team
Oct 18, 2011
His first "bad" year was 2010, so they wouldn't fire him after top ten finishes in seven of the nine prior seasons. They improved in 2011. This is really the first year his seat really becomes hot, in my opinion. His record has allowed him a little leeway.
Yeah, he has hit a rough patch and it maybe sinking downward into mediocrity, but folks forget that Mack Brown brought Texas back to national attention since he arrived in 1998. Their last national title was in 1970 with Royal. They have played in 4 BCS games, two of them for titles. before that they were off the radar.

From 1984 to 1998 when Mack arrived, Texas was never ranked higher than 11th, and more years than not they weren't even ranked. In the same 14 years since he took control, they have had 5 top 5 finishes; two more in the top 10, and then 4 more in the top 25. Folks complain, but when teh books close on Brown's chapter in Texas, the only coach that will surpass him is Royal himself.

Last edited:

spacerats

Scout Team
Nov 11, 2006
I agree that Mack Brown made them better than they were before. There is no denying that. But at this point his time has past if he can't consistently win the league and nat'l championships. He has become a victim of his own success. Before Mack top 10 finish was acceptable. But now that the program is on a different level, that is not acceptable. I believe it is time for a "retirement" after making Texas prominent. But it all depensds on how his seasons end. They can't outright fire the guy at this point yet. but if he loses to Kansas st and a bowl then i can see it. but if he lucks up and beats kansas st., no way they can fire him without looking bad.

CRMSNtide

1st Team
Jul 4, 2011
I hope they keep him, a really good coach could unleash monster at that school.
Mack Brown gives your the boring 8-5 type teams these days.

Crimson Grin

1st Team
Jan 27, 2005
Georgia
I support the group that votes to keep him, cause he's doing a fine job. On the other hand, I wonder what them steers think of Mushcamp now. :wink:

REBELZED

All-American
Dec 6, 2006
I still think Mack was banking on winning the NC with Colt and sailing off into the sunset of retirement as a Texas legend. Then we crushed them in the title game and he seems to have mailed it in since then.

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
The main components of a football team are the coaching and the players (who are recruited by the coaches). Since the beatdown in the NCG, Texas has gone 21-15 while Bama is 32-5. It's pretty obvious that Bama has better coaching, better players, or as I suspect, both. Texas, with their recruiting prowess, facilities, money, and overall reputation, should at least be competitive. Brown has done less with more. Three years removed from the NCG and just like the Aubbies....they're young...perpetually.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I still think Mack was banking on winning the NC with Colt and sailing off into the sunset of retirement as a Texas legend. Then we crushed them in the title game and he seems to have mailed it in since then.
I think something similar: he was hoping to win a 2nd title with Colt and retire with Muschamp becoming the head coach. It didn't go as plan and I don't think he's been mentally as focused as he needs to be. When you were one win short of fulfilling all your career goals to your liking and it doesn't happen, you become somebody who is chasing greatness instead of building it the way you did in the past. He's put Texas into a pickle because it seems like Muschamp is the coach people thought he would be and now he's locked up at another top-tier school.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.