Gene Chizik fired - now what?

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
Re: Breaking News: Gene Chizik fired!

You'll get no gloating over this from me. Never like to see anyone lose a job. Particularly since other families' Income is tied to this. Leoffler & VanGorder just moved their families and now here they go again. No love for Auburn, but from a human side I feel for them. Not to mention Chizik losing his mother in the midst of all this.

But the coaching profession being what it is, I know they'll all land on their feet somewhere.

Meanwhile, SNASS
Mack - I agree with you. No reason to gloat. We "finished him off" as the article mentioned in classic fashion. I guess it's only natural to "spike the football" a little bit when that putrid program is in such disaray.

That said, anyone entering into a coaching career must understand they will be journeymen until they reach a level of a Nick Saban and can write their own ticket. Most coaches at the D-1 level are handsomely compensated and I expect they will all find new locales to wallow in the misery of the last two years.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000

Yep, I have to agree.. My Dad lost his job of over 25 years last week due to the union strike on Hostess. He is near retirement age and will looking for a job in a tough market weeks before Christmas.
Hate to hear that. Good Luck to your dad.

KrimsonNinja

All-SEC
Apr 22, 2009
Florida

No more Cheez Sticks? That's cool. I just can't wait to see what poor sap they get to take over that program.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

I hope they'll return the $20 I sent to the "Help Keep Chizik" initiative...

Crimson Grin

1st Team
Jan 27, 2005
Georgia

You'll get no gloating over this from me. Never like to see anyone lose a job. Particularly since other families' Income is tied to this. Leoffler & VanGorder just moved their families and now here they go again. No love for Auburn, but from a human side I feel for them. Not to mention Chizik losing his mother in the midst of all this.

But the coaching profession being what it is, I know they'll all land on their feet somewhere.

Meanwhile, SNASS
Yeah, well for me I sure wish they would have kept him. I thought he and his staff were doing a excellent job. And as far as him and his staff landing on there feet, I will say this... I could careless. They make a heck of a lot of money to coach a sport and they all know what they are getting into and for them not to prepar for a day like this would be extreamly foolish. Somehow I feel like they will be ok. I mean really. :p_wink:

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

So can we get to the candidates officially? I mean, the ones they believe in their warped little head...

Jeff Fisher?
JimBo Fisher?
Kirby Smart (I mean, really)?

They may as well just beg Malzahn to come back, because the chance of them landing a "big fish" is slim IMO.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Meanwhile, SNASS
This. Sit at home for the holidays, spend some cash, start the New Year fresh and rejuvenated. Loved seeing the destruction on the field yesterday, but there is a human side to football.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

They have formed a search commitee including Bo, Pat Sullivan, and Mac Crawford.

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112512aab.html
While I expect Pat knows a good coach when he sees one. I do find it odd that he would get involved in something like this when he charged with running the Samford program. He doesnt get paid a small sum of money for this job. He should be focused on recruiting or prepping for the playoffs this time of year. If I were his AD I dont think I would allow it.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al

I could understand if they were hurting for money... The buyouts they have are fairly substantial... Between Chizik and his top 8 assistants, they get $11 million...

Crimson Grin

1st Team
Jan 27, 2005
Georgia

I could understand if they were hurting for money... The buyouts they have are fairly substantial... Between Chizik and his top 8 assistants, they get $11 million...
Exactly, oh woe was me if they can't make it. I mean what are they to do!?:rolleyes:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Yeah, and dont forget reimbursing the new coach's buyout... All signs point to Petrino getting the job. He is the best most affordable coach out there. And his character will fit right in down there.

Jessica4Bama

Hall of Fame
Nov 7, 2009
Alabama

I thought oh Mr. Dye said he would return regardless if they went 1-11? Oh well. We all saw this coming. Wonder who is going to coach next year as well as TN and Arky.

Gene seems like a good guy, and I never had a problem with him. He is going to get a nice buyout so we shouldn't feel too bad for him. :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.