Bell Injury May Lead to Emergence of Freshman WR Chris Black

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I thought redshirts had nothing to do with draft eligibility? You can enter the draft as a redshirt sophomore.
You are correct. I guess it's rare because players of that talent usually play as true freshman.

wikipedia

Eligibility

Football players who have been out of high school for at least three years are eligible for the NFL draft. The rules do not state that a player must attend college, but virtually all of the players selected in the NFL draft played college football. A year as a redshirt player in college counts toward eligibility even though the player was not allowed to participate in games during that year. Therefore players who have completed their redshirt sophomore year can enter the NFL draft. A few players are also selected from other football leagues like the Arena Football League or the Canadian Football League.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Chris better be very good given that he has not played in an actual down for an entire year and then would trot out for the SECCG. Hard to think about a comparable situation. Gary Rutledge came back for the '75 Orange Bowl but he was a senior, and still not healed.

A good example is Yeldon coming out and having a huge game in the Jerry Dome. He was a baby compared to everyone else and had a great performance. You never know how these kids will do, I hope he would have the same experience in his first game.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
You can enter the draft as a redshirt sophomore.
That's a little misleading. You can enter the draft AFTER completion of the season so technically only a redshirt JUNIOR can enter the draft. In the history of the draft, how many receivers have gone to the pros after only two full seasons under their belt? Is Black so good that he would be a first round pick after just two years? My guess is that he practices and dresses for the last two games but only plays if someone else goes down.

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
A side issue but still on topic: why have we not seen much of Woodson? Is speed the issue, or lack of need (until now)?
I think I've read recently that Woodson is banged up - can anybody confirm this?

As far as Black playing, it probably depends on how he practices this week. It might be tough for him to get used to being hit, after going so long without it. But I'd be all for burning the redshirt if he looks good in practice, and if he's needed.

thetwonewguru

Suspended
Aug 11, 2006
What's the deal with Eddie Williams? I could have swore I seen him on the field after the forth game. Is he just a great athlete who really can't find a position like Blake Sims was the past few years? EW was one of the players i was sure to see on the field a ton this season. Both he and Landon Collins but neither have done much. I know Collins plays on special teams but I figured he would work his self into the defensive rotation by mid-season. My how times have changed, could you have imagined pre-Saban; two guys like Collins and Eddie Williams struggling to hit the field.:)

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
If he is healthy and can contribute, we have to consider it. This isn't burning a RS to play 3-4 snaps in a cupcake game, it's for championships. Everything should be on the table.

The real question is how well does he know the offense.

thetwonewguru

Suspended
Aug 11, 2006
I think our tight ends will become more involved in the next 2 games
I knew Brad Smelley was important. He may have been just as valuable as Trent Richardson last season. We really need another guy like him. How many key third downs did that guy convert last season. If he could have came back this season, we would have been a lot better.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I knew Brad Smelley was important. He may have been just as valuable as Trent Richardson last season. We really need another guy like him. How many key third downs did that guy convert last season. If he could have came back this season, we would have been a lot better.
He became a big factor post November 5. I think the tape showed how open he was and not identified.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
In the history of the draft, how many receivers have gone to the pros after only two full seasons under their belt? Is Black so good that he would be a first round pick after just two years? My guess is that he practices and dresses for the last two games but only plays if someone else goes down.
I'm not sure that is the point here. The point is that no matter what he could leave after three years. Burning his redshirt only matters if he would both be able to stay, and contribute for five years. Otherwise there is absolutely no down side to playing him.

If he's ready or needed is another issue, but as I said before, if he's so good you don't want to burn his redshirt, then it probably doesn't matter...

bamaslaw

All-SEC
Jan 16, 2005
Atlanta, GA
That's a little misleading. You can enter the draft AFTER completion of the season so technically only a redshirt JUNIOR can enter the draft. In the history of the draft, how many receivers have gone to the pros after only two full seasons under their belt?
Larry Fitzgerald, for one.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Looking at commits for 2013, where is the top end receiver? If we keep that RS on Black then there is no pressure to persue anyone (I know Robert Foster is hot).

For all the speed junkies Ch Jones and Cy Jones are plenty fast enough to get behind defenders.

I don't agree with burning a RS for two games for a guy as talented as C Black, sorry guys. But CNS knows best.

I think our recent success and the possibility of perhaps playing in 3 out of the last 4 BCSNCGs is spoiling us a little.

To have the opportunity to play for a championship is so rare, even for the traditional powers. It is so hard to get there and usually takes a little luck.

Therefore, if playing Black will help us beat Georgia it is worth it for him and CNS because if we beat Georgia I think we are all in agreement that we've got the inside track to #15 against ND.

But I do agree that CNS knows best and he's the one debating it right now. We will see. Roll Tide brother!

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Saban has always played guys who can help the team win today over saving them to win next season. I believe he burned several redshirts late on his '03 LSU championship squad and people were scratching their heads at the time. Saban really changed the paradigm in that regard and it is partly why he is so successful in recruiting. I believe some of those guys who "lost their redshirt" ended up contributing a good deal in the SECCG and Sugar Bowl.

I'd hate for Chris Black to play and not have the ball come his way, but if he is one of the 4-5 best WRs today then he's got to play. We have no control over future titles, so there is simply no reason to control the roster in that fashion. We do have control over a title this season and we must control the roster as such. If he comes in and catches one ball...it is worth it. We need the threat of an over-the-top burner on the field and other than Cooper we lack that threat...and Cooper will draw too much attention to do the things White or Bell can as "the other guy."

White going down was sufferable because Bell emulated most of the things he brought to the offense. Bell and White down calls for another pure speed threat for the gadget plays and play actions.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What's the deal with Eddie Williams? I could have swore I seen him on the field after the forth game. Is he just a great athlete who really can't find a position like Blake Sims was the past few years? EW was one of the players i was sure to see on the field a ton this season. Both he and Landon Collins but neither have done much. I know Collins plays on special teams but I figured he would work his self into the defensive rotation by mid-season. My how times have changed, could you have imagined pre-Saban; two guys like Collins and Eddie Williams struggling to hit the field.:)
Williams got to campus as a WR. Then, Jarrick Williams got injured and Dixon left campus. With those two departures in the secondary, Eddie had to switch to DB. I think it was too late in camp for him to pick up enough information to get playing time.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Saban has always played guys who can help the team win today over saving them to win next season. I believe he burned several redshirts late on his '03 LSU championship squad and people were scratching their heads at the time. Saban really changed the paradigm in that regard and it is partly why he is so successful in recruiting. I believe some of those guys who "lost their redshirt" ended up contributing a good deal in the SECCG and Sugar Bowl.

I'd hate for Chris Black to play and not have the ball come his way, but if he is one of the 4-5 best WRs today then he's got to play. We have no control over future titles, so there is simply no reason to control the roster in that fashion. We do have control over a title this season and we must control the roster as such. If he comes in and catches one ball...it is worth it. We need the threat of an over-the-top burner on the field and other than Cooper we lack that threat...and Cooper will draw too much attention to do the things White or Bell can as "the other guy."

White going down was sufferable because Bell emulated most of the things he brought to the offense. Bell and White down calls for another pure speed threat for the gadget plays and play actions.
This is an excellent post and I agree with every word of it...

BAMA JAMMA

Scout Team
Oct 28, 2007
Saban just implied in his Monday presser that Black will play. We need him as we are thin at WR when considering rotation due to fatigue or formation.

I am with Saban. As said we need him NOW. If he can contribute and is healthy than he should play.

Last edited:

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
We paid them man to put the best guys in the nation he could get into crimson and white and on the field in a position to succeed. He's doing the job we hired him to do and I'm not going to question it now.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
So we all pretty much agree.

If Black has 1st/2nd round talent there is a good chance he would stay 3 years shirt or no shirt year due to the draft rules ruling a redshirt as one of the 3 years.
If he does not prove a top draft choice after 3 years in our system, then with the way coach Saban recruits, a lost year would not be that bad.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The only lost years are when you have a guy like Mike McCoy who played 3-4 snaps in the first game of 2006 and never saw the field again. This isn't a waste, the circumstances of the WR depth chart have changed. They were playing it safe with him because there was depth at the position but that depth isn't there anymore. If he's getting his RS "burned" to play in championship games, that isn't a lost year even if he doesn't have a single target when on the field.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.