Remember when the SEC Championship Game was on ABC?

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
The game was always on during prime time at 7:00pm. At first they would have the Army/Navy game on during the day followed by the SEC Championship. Then after other leaques formed championship games, you would have them on during the day as a warm up for Championship Saturday. There would be the WAC game in the morning and the Big 12 in the afternoon.

We would also have the best broadcast team with Keith Jackson and Bob Griese. I guess it got swapped over to CBS sometime during the stretch when Bama was not in the game. I didn't really miss it until Bama started playing in the game again. I really wish it would go back to a prime time game again on ABC. I know it won't happen, but it would be nice to have Sean McDonogh or Brad Nessler or even Musburger and Herbie calling the game.

The Prime time schedule was perfect too, because you had all Saturday to run errands and have time to get home before the game. A tradition was started in our family with going to get a live Christmas tree during the day and by the time the tree was decorated, the game was ready to start. Oh well, the good ole days.....

CmdrThor

1st Team
Oct 29, 2008
Marietta, GA
I believe CBS and ABC have an agreement to rotate which of the SEC Championship and the ACC Championship gets to be primetime, and which is 4pm. This year we have the 4pm slot.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Yes. I was not happy when ESPN swallowed up ABC. But that's what you get when these huge conglomerates like Disney own both.

Since I have burned out on the gabble to gabble talk television like ESPN, I miss the days when all the networks were a part of the college game.

JPT4Bama

Hall of Fame
Aug 21, 2006
Hoover, AL
The band I was playing with at the time had been booked to play for the Dr. Pepper hospitality tent on the morning of the inaugural SECCG due in no small part to our Bass player's wife being the executive secretary for the president of Buffalo Rock Bottling Co.

So a few moments before we begin though already on stage, Keith Jackson and Bob Greise were both standing there as well finishing up their talk before the guests when our guitarist in his typical hyper way suddenly swung around with his guitar after fooling around with a pedal or something and narrowly missed slamming into Keith Jackson's face by maybe 2 inches with the neck of his Stratocaster!

I was in too much of a state of shock to remember if Keith let out a "whoa Nellie!" but I think it took most of the first set for me to recover. I kept thinking how close he/we came to changing the broadcast of this historic game and just how it would have been explained to the public!! :eek:

Bad Pony

All-American
Nov 14, 1999
Pelham
The 1st SECCG was a 2:30 start (or somewhere around that time). That game would've been brutal in prime time because it was miserable enough in daylight due to the cold weather. Sitting under the upper deck, in the shade, ranks as the coldest Bama game I've ever attended.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
That the game was actually played in Legion field really hits home on how much time has elapsed since then. Is the SEC office still in Birmingham?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The 1st SECCG was a 2:30 start (or somewhere around that time). That game would've been brutal in prime time because it was miserable enough in daylight due to the cold weather. Sitting under the upper deck, in the shade, ranks as the coldest Bama game I've ever attended.
This is correct. I was out of town, couldn't watch most of the game. Had to call my dad from a PAY PHONE to find out what happened around 6:00 CST that evening.

If I'm not mistaken the last two times Bama's played in the SECCG it's been a 3:00 CST start and will be this time. I like this time slot cause I hate having to wait all day!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Yep. I was there also in the north end zone with the wind blowing in my face the whole game. It was the coldest game I ever sat through and I'm sure the weather in a small way is the reason the game was moved to the dome in ATL.

I thought the SEC championship game has been played at 3:00 CST for some time.

snake plissken

1st Team
Apr 13, 2011
Birmingham
You're right. I was thinking around 1994 when they started to play every year in the Georgia Dome.

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
Yep. I was there also in the north end zone with the wind blowing in my face the whole game. It was the coldest game I ever sat through and I'm sure the weather in a small way is the reason the game was moved to the dome in ATL.

I thought the SEC championship game has been played at 3:00 CST for some time.
At least the past five games have started at 3:00.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The first two games were in Legion Field and the game was played in the afternoon. The first year was cold, the second it rained plus the second didn't matter nationally as both teams were out of the national title picture. The game moved to Atlanta in 1994. Starting in 1996 it was print- time, due in large part to the addition of the WAC and Big 12 title games. It was on ABC from 1992-1999; I don't know about 2000, I didn't watch it. The game has been on CBS since 2001 or perhaps 2000. The game was moved back to late afternoon in 2008.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008
The SEC Title Game was on ABC from 1992-2000. It has been on CBS since 2001. It was an afternoon kickoff in 1992-1994. It was a night game from 1995-1999, and then again from 2001-2003. It has been a day game since 2004. I really miss it being a prime time kickoff on ABC. Especially now since my cable provider is dropping CBS tomorrow at 4:00 pm. :mad2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.