Question: Regarding Coach Smart and future job opportunities or staying put

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
There are all sorts of dynamics that go into such a decision. Family, circumstances, facilities, etc. Somehow I just believe that CKS is being well smart (no pun intended) about it. There is a substantial amount of comfort and job security in his current position that doesnt come along very often. I expect he now has CNS's full ear and attention in guiding his part of the program. He doesnt have to subject family and young children to move and dealing with the media frenzy. He likely doesnt want to coach in conferences built on the spread offensive strategy which really just leaves the SEC. If that is the case, then you have to consider honestly given what is going at Bama right now does he really think he can compete and maintain the longevity competing against his mentor. Sure everyone is confident in their ability but at the same time how CPB's assistants fair against him? He likely could make a claim to be the highest paid assistant in college football and may just get it after this season.

While I dont think Bama would ever put the HCIW tag on any assistant, let's just assume we get another 7-8 years down the road with CNS at this pace such that the entire AD is ingrained with the Process (similar to the Yankee Way) in that "that is just how things are done around here". I think it would be very difficult to jeopardize all the goodwill established around that way of doing things just so some other supposedly good coach could come in and put his stamp on the program (aka Perkins).

Personally, if CKS is still with us at that time, I think he will have earned the right to try and take over and manage what CNS, he, and the whole rest of the AD has established during this time. Only after that opportunity was given would I agree that we should step outside the box with a new coach - a new approach. While I wouldnt normally suggest such an option, I cant see anywhere out there that anyone else is doing it the same or better than us right now and getting the same or better results. So why mess with if it aint broke?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.