Question: Regarding Coach Smart and future job opportunities or staying put

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
There has always been talk about who or when Coach Smart will be a head coach, I'm just wondering if Coach Smart is one of those people who may not want to take the next step up as a head coach?

I know it sounds preposterous but there are some great assistants that never made that move and stayed put as coordinators like Bud Foster and John Chavis. Sure if the right job mainly Georgia offered he'd go for it or if Coach Saban were to retire and Alabama offered, but do you think there's a possibility he chooses to stay a coordinator?

Just a thought.

JohnnyCache

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2002
Carrollton, GA but from Mobile, AL
I don't see him taking the Auburn job or anything in the SEC West. Maybe the East but more likely I think he'd take a job in another conference entirely. But I honestly (and I really, really, really, really, really, really, really hope) think he'll stay at least one more year. Maybe two. Or three. PLEASE DON'T LEAVE US COACH SMART!!!!

TidefaninOS

All-SEC
Feb 14, 2009
Ocean Springs, MS
I think he does want a HC position. He's just gonna play it smart and wait for the right opportunity to open up. I'm sure CNS is giving him a lot of guidance and recommendations regarding what opportunity would be the "right" one.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I honestly feel like he may be our silent "coach in waiting". He could have had several jobs over the past few years and always stays with CNS. I think he also has seen what happened to Dooley up at ut and decided to be a lot more selective on if and when he leaves and where that might be.

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I am completely neutral as to whether he ends up being a coach in waiting, or whether he should go first to a mid-tier program to get some HC experience. I look at the disaster that has befallen McElwain, and I wonder how that plays out with other high-ranking assistants at Alabama. Ultimately, you want to make the move but you somehow want the expectations to be manageable while you bootstrap yourself into the new job. Or you can stay put.

shottistyeti

Scout Team
Dec 10, 2006
I'm doubtful that he's a coach in waiting here for a more general reason: history suggests that such arrangements may not work out well in the long run for the one waiting.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
I have heard that Smart has a "short list" of places he would go. I have no idea what schools are on it, but he really seems to be very picky about what opportunities he even entertains.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I'm doubtful that he's a coach in waiting here for a more general reason: history suggests that such arrangements may not work out well in the long run for the one waiting.
I am by no means an advocate of having a HCIW, but those who have had that title seem to be doing well - Chip Kelly, Jimbo Fisher, Will Muschamp, James Franklin... I think Dana Holgorsen was one also, but that was a weird situation all around. While he had a down year, they did win the Orange Bowl last year.
It doesn't really seem to have any benefit for the schools who appoint them except to justify higher pay for an elite assistant.

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I think Coach Smart does want a HC job. Since he already has a pretty sweet current job, no reason to rush into a HC job that isn't what he is looking for. I think he would rather take over a program that isn't in shambles and needs rebuilding. AU, Arkansas, and UK are all in shambles. UT isn't far behind--even though it is better now than when Dooley got there.

I think he should take over a program that has been successful and maybe its previous coach left to take a better job. A program like Louisville (if Strong takes an SEC job). TCU if Patterson is stolen away. Miss St. if Mullen is pulled away. etc.
Gus Mahlzahn did this at Ark. St. and I think it worked out pretty well.

Bluegrasstide

1st Team
Oct 31, 2010
Pikeville KY
Agree. A friend and I were trying to think of a "coach in waiting" situation that has actually worked out. We couldn't really think of a success story. Jimbo Fisher, maybe?

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
Agree. A friend and I were trying to think of a "coach in waiting" situation that has actually worked out. We couldn't really think of a success story. Jimbo Fisher, maybe?
Kind of, maybe, but didn't the whole head coach in waiting thing end up forcing Bowden out before he was ready? Someone else mentioned Chip Kelly - didn't realize he was in waiting. I just thought he was the OC and got promoted.

Jack Bourbon

Hall of Fame
Aug 3, 2001
Miami FL
Ideally, a spot like Georgia would open up where he could walk into a team full of talent and $ without having to build from scratch or rebrand a mediocre program

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
I think Texas would be a great fit for Kirby. Wouldn't be surprised to see Mack Brown step down at the end of next year.

Great, high profile job with large recruiting base and not in the SEC.

Just my little opinion.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.