Link: Orange Bowl Nightmare possibility - Kent State vs. Ga Tech

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Orange Bowl Nightmare - Kent State vs. Ga Tech! If they win their last games along with a couple of other events.

Take the ACC's CG winner's automatic BCS birth and another rule that awards a BCS game to a non BCS conference champion if they are ranked in the top #16 and higher than a BCS conference team and throw in some lack of common sense with the polls and the result is an Orange Bowl with a team that lost by 33 to Kentucky with a creme puff schedule and another that's 7-6 and lost to Colorado.

IMO, if this works out, would be the biggest stinker in BCS history. Since the start of the automatic bids, the best games are usually the one's that pit the big conference's against each other, like the Capital One or Cotton Bowl. Rutger's could end up souring the Sugar Bowl too.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...te-georgia-tech-50-million-orange-bowl-fiasco
Thanks

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Re: Orange Bowl Nightmare possability - Kent State vs. Ga Tech

It would be pretty bad. Unlikely, but bad. And we have current and former Big East teams to blame.

Current Big East champion for being ranked below Kent State; former Big East team Miami for forgoing postseason play and allowing a miserable Tech team in.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

Orange Bowl Nightmare - Kent State vs. Ga Tech! If they win their last games along with a couple of other events.

Take the ACC's CG winner's automatic BCS birth and another rule that awards a BCS game to a non BCS conference champion if they are ranked in the top #16 and higher than a BCS conference team and throw in some lack of common sense with the polls and the result is an Orange Bowl with a team that lost by 33 to Kentucky with a creme puff schedule and another that's 7-6 and lost to Colorado.

IMO, if this works out, would be the biggest stinker in BCS history. Since the start of the automatic bids, the best games are usually the one's that pit the big conference's against each other, like the Capital One or Cotton Bowl. Rutger's could end up souring the Sugar Bowl too.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...te-georgia-tech-50-million-orange-bowl-fiasco
If Kent State is in, then Rutgers is the one that is out. Neither will effect the Sugar Bowl. They are the Orange Bowl's problem.

VirginiaTide57

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Wouldn't have this problem if a conference could have more than 2 teams in the show! Bama, FLA, GA, USC, and LSU should be in the BCS series.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006

Wouldn't have this problem if a conference could have more than 2 teams in the show! Bama, FLA, GA, USC, and LSU should be in the BCS series.
Now Now...we must be fair and ensure that every conference gets a participation trophy.

CapstoneTider

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

Now Now...we must be fair and ensure that every conference gets a participation trophy.
Exactly. This is the very philosophy that is rapidly tearing down the country. It's counter to nature.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009

Even funnier, Kent State could well beat Georgia Tech.

bmcklv

All-American
Nov 27, 2006
Huntsville, Alabama
The scenario I saw explained on 'Talking Football' was Florida vs Kent State in the Sugar bowl, and Oklahoma is left out of the BCS unless they win the Big-12.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Yesterday on the radio, someone (maybe Brando) said that Kent State would replace Oklahoma (assuming K-State wins Big 12) in the Sugar Bowl against Florida.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
Orange Bowl Nightmare possability - Kent State vs. Ga Tech

Yesterday on the radio, someone (maybe Brando) said that Kent State would replace Oklahoma (assuming K-State wins Big 12) in the Sugar Bowl against Florida.
That is the same as I heard. Isn't Rutgers Big East & aren't they locked in if conference champion to Orange vs ACC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

If Kent State is in, then Rutgers is the one that is out. Neither will effect the Sugar Bowl. They are the Orange Bowl's problem.
they can't lock the big east champ out of a BCS bowl just because it's not deserved. The Kent St inclusion has to do with an at-large bid but the BCS is contractually obligated to take the big east champ. so it's a team like Oklahoma that would get shut out...has no impact on SEC teams at all

Rolltide_PA

1st Team
Jul 31, 2011

from ESPN...

Kent State, at No. 17, has a shot to make it to a BCS game -- thanks to the lackluster Big East. With a win Friday over Northern Illinois in the MAC title game, the Golden Flashes would more than likely finish in the top 16, triggering an automatic bid because they would be ranked higher than the Big East champion.

Remember, the Big East only has an automatic berth this season and next. In the future playoff system, the highest ranked team among the Big East, Mountain West, Conference USA, Sun Belt and MAC would get into one of the elite-level bowl games automatically. So if the same scenario plays out in 2014, the Big East would be on the outside looking in.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

Looks like it will end up between Rutgers and Kent State for the Sugar & Orange.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

This years at-large selection order is Fiesta, Sugar, Orange. Sugar would get to pick the SEC champion replacement first - and we all know that will be the Gaytors. Fiesta is not obligated to pick an AQ as long as there are enough bowls after them to pick up the remaining AQ's (Rutgers & Kent State)

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I would be shocked if Tech beats Fl State. If Fisher can't get them ready to play that team in a championship game I hope he does go to the barn ;)

uaintn

All-American
Aug 2, 2000
franklin, tennessee, usa

Eventually the TV money and the bowls will put a stop to this foolishness. The bowls (and the cities that support them) cannot live with small fan bases that don't travel and end up with a bunch of tickets donated to Big Brothers/Big Sisters and/or leave stadium seats, hotel rooms, and restaurants unfilled. TV cannot afford bowl games that no one watches because the games are not competitive and/or no one cares about the teams. Not meaning to necessarily disrespect small schools that have worked hard, but face it, if you lost to Kentucky this year, you probably don't belong in ANY bowl game. I'd bet on Vandy to beat Georgia Tech and Kent State.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL

I guess either way if Kent State wins we are most likely looking at Florida vs Kent or Rutgers in the Sugar & Fl State vs the other in the Orange. Don't believe I will be glued to the set for either of those.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.