Link: Orange Bowl Nightmare possibility - Kent State vs. Ga Tech

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Re: Orange Bowl Nightmare possability - Kent State vs. Ga Tech

I guess either way if Kent State wins we are most likely looking at Florida vs Kent or Rutgers in the Sugar & Fl State vs the other in the Orange. Don't believe I will be glued to the set for either of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Kent State is in, then Rutgers is the one out. Neither effects the Sugar bowl.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

they can't lock the big east champ out of a BCS bowl just because it's not deserved. The Kent St inclusion has to do with an at-large bid but the BCS is contractually obligated to take the big east champ. so it's a team like Oklahoma that would get shut out...has no impact on SEC teams at all
They would not be locked out because it is not deserved. They would be KNOCKED out by rule. This rule:

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:
A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

3B puts Kent State in over Rutgers if they finish in the Top 16.

Last edited:

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
The scenario I saw explained on 'Talking Football' was Florida vs Kent State in the Sugar bowl, and Oklahoma is left out of the BCS unless they win the Big-12.
As usual, they don't know what they are 'talking football' about. The rule that would put Kent State in has NOTHING to do with at large bids. It has to do with this(see 3B):

3. The champion of Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, or the Western Athletic Conference will earn an automatic berth in a BCS bowl game if either:
A. Such team is ranked in the top 12 of the final BCS Standings, or,
B. Such team is ranked in the top 16 of the final BCS Standings and its ranking in the final BCS Standings is higher than that of a champion of a conference that has an annual automatic berth in one of the BCS bowls.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

The Big East has been a huge reason why non-AQ teams have participated in the last few seasons. I welcome the return of the contracted major bowl era and the end of the at-large pool and selection process/criteria.

I mean, in the playoff system it would likely be:

ND, SECCG Winner, Florida, and Oregon or Stanford (depending on how much that lips service on conference title weight means).

The SECCG loser would be going to play Kansas State in the Sugar Bowl instead of falling to some 2nd or 3rd tier bowl.

PaulD

All-SEC
Dec 29, 2006
near Perry, Georgia, United States

The Big East champ (chump?) wouldn't be knocked out in this nightmare scenario. Both Kent St and the Big East champ would be automatic qualifiers and there would be one less slot for an at large team, like OU. (Both SEC teams in the BCS are expected to be automatic qualifiers.)

The last bowl in the rotation is usually forced to take the Big East champ, because somebody must take them and the early picking bowls won't take them. This time, the Sugar would likely take the Big East team to play UF, leaving the Orange Bowl stuck with Kent State.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

CNS has no problem with Kent State in the Orange bowl. :wink:

But if they were taking a spot from us...

califbamafan

1st Team
Nov 7, 2005
Rialto, Calif

I would love to see Geo T beat FSU and Kent St win and get to #16. This would be the ultimate insult to the BCS whose rules are very stupid. I don't have a problem with the mid majors. The biggest problem I have is with the big least getting an auto ban. Over the last few years most of the high ranted non auto qualifing teams were beter than the big least champ.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA

The Big East champ (chump?) wouldn't be knocked out in this nightmare scenario. Both Kent St and the Big East champ would be automatic qualifiers and there would be one less slot for an at large team, like OU. (Both SEC teams in the BCS are expected to be automatic qualifiers.)

The last bowl in the rotation is usually forced to take the Big East champ, because somebody must take them and the early picking bowls won't take them. This time, the Sugar would likely take the Big East team to play UF, leaving the Orange Bowl stuck with Kent State.

Yeah, I stand corrected. I interpreted the rule as "in place of" rather than "in addition to". Really makes a lot of sense. :rolleye2: Instead of replacing an unranked AQ with a Top 16 non-AQ, and having just one inferior team, they add another and have two inferior teams.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.