Question: Saban, end of game rant against officials

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm pretty sure I saw him say "we could have scored" or similar, as if to say 'c'mon, we're trying to end this game...'

I lip read it as 'Come on, we could have scored...'
Since it's Auburn, maybe we should have pulled a SOS and ran it in, BUT...
Coach Saban's not that kind of guy. He tried to be classy.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Exactly - I am sure that is why Drake was pulled. He was too much of a threat to score and Saban was ready to call off the dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More importantly, IMO, it was about given Howell, a senior, the opportunity to score a td against Auburn. They gave him 3 chances near the goal line and on 3rd down the OL opened up a lane almost as wide as Bryant Drive but Howell just didn't have the speed to bust up in the hole before it closed down. Took a knee then our 4th down.

Florida Tom

All-American
Aug 15, 2011
Tampa, FL
API had better watch what they say, they may not get a total of 2 yards next year at the IB.

CNS was just trying to end the beating gracefully.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
I would guess that he was angry that one more play meant one more opportunity to have an injury.
I'm pretty sure this is correct.^^^^ With Bell out he didn't need or want to get anyone else hurt. Besides the band had already started playing Rammer Jammer and we had to sing it 4 times. lol

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I agree with most here. The most humiliating thing for the Auburn team was to have to go back out and run one more play that ultimately had no effect on the outcome of the game. I think the AU players wanted the game to just end and stop the beating. By prolonging it one more play, it was just more painful for them. Coach was trying to do the respectful thing. Sometimes you just need to shoot the tiger to put it out of its misery.
I think I recall an asst coach whispering to chizik near the end of the game. It probably had something to do with Tre needing 2 more yards. Obviously Saban had no idea about that. I think Saban could have calmed it down a little though. No need to blow a gasket over just one more play. Be upset then let it go.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
if coach was against letting him get to 1000 yards i am pretty sure they would not have gotten the ball back. the rant was basically coach Saban coaching for 4 qtrs
Exactly! Why would we have taken a knee, if we wanted to prevent the AU back from getting his 1000 yds. The ITAT board regularly just ignores common sense...

oskie

All-SEC
Jan 28, 2005
... the rant was basically coach Saban coaching for 4 qtrs
... that's not coaching, that's just ranting

... if taking a knee shows class, as some believe, his explosion of temper sure seemed to have the opposite effect

... i confess that i was about as euphoric as possible up to that point with the 49-0 beat down we had just inflicted on 'em, but his blowing a gasket, kinda took the air out of my balloon

... needless to say, i thought it was way over the top

... of course, all this is just my 2 cents :)

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I don't think CNS cared one way or another how many yards any player had, theirs or ours. He's not the type of coach to concern himself with such matters. Neither is he the type of coach to intentionally run up the score on a helpless and hapless football squad who's been soundly beaten. So I completely understand taking a knee to end the game. We do that in lots of games, just not on 4th down because that's the only time that taking a knee stops the clock. If there's any time left on the clock at all, the other teams gets the ball back, 1st & 10. So, I'm just wondering why on earth any coach would choose to take a knee on 4th down.
But that really doesn't matter, because it's over and done with days ago, and that's OK by me.
:biga:
RTR. Let's go take care of the dawgs of UGA.

TriCountyTider

All-American
Aug 7, 2012

... if taking a knee shows class, as some believe, his explosion of temper sure seemed to have the opposite effect

... i confess that i was about as euphoric as possible up to that point with the 49-0 beat down we had just inflicted on 'em, but his blowing a gasket, kinda took the air out of my balloon

I enjoy coach getting angry. I see it as him being all serious and buisness about his job,team,and football in general. I'll gladly accept that.

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
I don't think CNS cared one way or another how many yards any player had, theirs or ours. He's not the type of coach to concern himself with such matters. Neither is he the type of coach ...
RTR. Let's go take care of the dawgs of UGA.

I see where you are coming from when you say that, but I disagree. Coach understands that individual statistics are important to players, as well as to a player's perception by media, awards ceremonies, and NFL scouts. That is why he has kept an RB in the game against an inferior opponent until just when they hit the 100 yard mark. Also, others have pointed out that Eddie stayed in the game until he got his 1000 yards for the season. I agree that in general he has his sights on more of the team direction, but he is not blind to individual players.

I'm not suggesting that the rant was over Mason getting to 1000 yards. I believe he just wanted them to run the clock after the change of possession since the game was over.

Last edited:

BAMA1979

All-American
Nov 15, 2006
Mobile
I see where you are coming from when you say that, but I disagree. Coach understands that individual statistics are important to players, as well as to a player's perception by media, awards ceremonies, and NFL scouts. That is why he has kept an RB in the game against an inferior opponent until just when they hit the 100 yard mark. Also, others have pointed out that Eddie stayed in the game until he got his 1000 yards for the season. I agree that in general he has his sights on more of the team direction, but he is not blind to individual players.

I'm not suggesting that the rant was over Mason getting to 1000 yards. I believe he just wanted them to run the clock after the change of possession since the game was over.
I don't really agree about the individual stats. Lacy had 99 yards against Western Carolina. That extra yard would have been pretty easy to gain. The best example I can think of though is McElroy in 2010. He needed 13 more passing yards to become the only Alabama quarterback to throw for 3,000 yards in a season, but he was taken out of the bowl game with plenty of time left.

bradley30

1st Team
Sep 9, 2009
Oxford, AL
I seriously doubt either team kept up with the stats during the game. If either did (Bama included), they have no business even playing the game.
I'm sure Bama wasn't keeping up, but I would be willing to bet that AU was. I don't think it was coincidence that Tre was in the game for the last handoff. It was so obvious that even Vern mentioned Tre getting 1000 yards.

Bamafan P.T.

All-SEC
Oct 15, 2005
Tuscaloosa

:rolleyes:

We already lost Bell in the game as well as ivory going out. I'm sure the only thing on CNS's mind was the game clock showing 0's. One more play run is one more chance for injury.

im4uainva

All-SEC
Jul 3, 2011
Charlottesville, Va
Can you guys imagine...how wild the *u fans would have been if Tre had broken free and ran 90-something yards for a TD? That would have been a very powerful consolation prize for them. All they would ever talk about would be "Yeah, how about that great run by Tre to finish out the 2012 IB". Not that anyone was ever worried about that, but, stranger things have happened.
Roll Tsunami, Roll!

IBUY

1st Team
Jan 9, 2007
I enjoy coach getting angry. I see it as him being all serious and buisness about his job,team,and football in general. I'll gladly accept that.
Coach Saban leads by example. He preaches "finish" and he practices what he preaches.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.