ND Fan here with thoughts

Dr Dome

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
I'm hopeful you all beat Georgia, because I think Alabama and Notre Dame are worthy of the history of that game and as opponents of each other considering the history of the two programs.

I think Alabama would be favored (rightfully so) but slightly. My reasoning is the same as Pat Fordes, here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf-...348035.html;_ylt=Ao8hJasvjC2lu8Z3ZtNeencp1LYF

Frankly, I've been watching ND for 38 years and I've never personally witnessed a defense like this before (this includes the stellar '80 and 88' defenses). I also think it ranks right up there with Saban's best Alabama defenses. I think this is one of the best defenses in all of college football over the the past five seasons. The stats bear that out.

Interested on why so many SEC fans in general think the game with ND would be a walk over blowout? I think if Alabama wins it's like to be a low scoring game and a 3-10 point win max (which in context of this defense I guess is alot)

Thoughts?

PacadermaTideUs

All-American
Dec 10, 2009
Navarre, FL
My thoughts... I agree that ND has a very good defense, maybe the second best defense in the country - right up there with Bama's. But the difference between the two teams' strengths isn't on defense. It's offense. ND scores 26.8 ppg against FBS foes, only 9.7% more than its opponents allow. Bama scores 38.1 ppg, 39.9% more than its opponents allow.

I agree that this is a dream NCG. But if we're fortunate enough to meet in January, Bama's D will take Golson's lunch money, and Riddick/Wood will be lucky to get 80yds combined. Won't be a good day for the Bama offense either, but we have more tools/options than ND and should be able to generate a tad more production.

My prediction: 17-7 Bama.

Welcome to the board. Make sure you read the FAQ/rules. Congrats on your great season.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Interested on why so many SEC fans in general think the game with ND would be a walk over blowout?
To answer this question, I will point to your most recent game where you had to settle for 5 field goals, most in the redzone (and missed a few too) against the 62nd ranked defense in the country (counting the 22 points the "held" ND to). That is pretty much the perception of your team in a microcosm. You can play defense this year, but forgot how to play offense. In a game with great defenses, I will take the team with the better offense AND defense all day. Your image is also not helped by going to triple overtime with the likes of Pittsburgh, just sayin. Anyways, basically the belief is that there is a pretty good chance that our offense will score more points on your defense than they are used to giving up while your offense will continue to kick field goals if they sniff the redzone at all.

All that said, I think ya'll have a pretty good team this year, they don't resemble the ND of the past 5 years at all (I was surprised). I really look forward to this matchup because we have never played ND in my lifetime. I hope we get past Georgia so you can stick around the board. :)

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
First of all, welcome to Tidefans.

Second, I do not think Notre Dame's defense comes anywhere near Alabama's defense last year. That defense was the best in the past 20 years at least.

I also do not buy the premise that Notre Dame has had a tough schedule, despite Forde's attempt to prove it so. I don't respect the ACC or Big Ten at all these days. And those two conferences make up the bulk of Notre Dame's schedule. Then you have Navy who is way down from where they were a few years ago, USC who is average at best due to Kiffin/probation and was playing with a freshman QB making his first start, BYU who is tough but not that talented, and finally Oklahoma. The Oklahoma win was impressive, no doubt. But Big 12 teams have forgotten defense, and their offenses are finesse.

Now having said all that, Notre Dame has done a nice job rebuilding under Brian Kelly and they've done everything required of them this year and they've earned their spot in the NC game. But they're not ready for the SEC. Stranger things have happened, but I see Notre Dame in the same mold as Ohio State a few years ago against Florida and LSU. We'll see.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
ND's defense is not even close to the 2011 BAMA and LSU defense...much less 2012. I guess I'm a homer. Good luck against the SEC in Miami...
^^^ This ^^^

ND has a solid defense, but last year's Alabama defense was something special. Nothing this year's Alabama team, much less ND's team, has done puts them in the same zip code.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
The ND defense has been great so far, but so was Texas in 2009.. They were the number one rush defense in the nation. The problem is, they hadn't faced anyone with the team strength/speed of an SEC school. I think the same will apply with ND. I think the Alabama offense will over power the ND defense, and the Alabama defense with a month to plan would have no problem shutting down the ND offense...

I'm more worried about getting out of the SECCG then the BCSNCG. If you guys play UGA, you could beat them...Richt will find a way to give you plenty of opportunity.

CrimsonTide13

Suspended
Aug 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
The ND defense has been great so far, but so was Texas in 2009.. They were the number one rush defense in the nation. The problem is, they hadn't faced anyone with the team strength/speed of an SEC school. I think the same will apply with ND. I think the Alabama offense will over power the ND defense, and the Alabama defense with a month to plan would have no problem shutting down the ND offense...

I'm more worried about getting out of the SECCG then the BCSNCG. If you guys play UGA, you could beat them...Richt will find a way to give you plenty of opportunity.
Agreed

Stonewall1959

2nd Team
Oct 5, 2005
Macon, Georgia
Would love to see Alabama and Notre Dame in the NC. Two of the most storied programs in the history of college football knocking heads again would be great.

No, though, I don't think this years ND defense is anywhere near as good as Alabama's (or LSU's) last year. I'd say that it is on par with this year's Alabama D.

Just FYI, the early line on an Alabama - ND championship game is Bama by 10.

Welcome to the board. Enjoy your stay here.

lafella

Hall of Fame
Nov 27, 2006
Baldwin County, AL.
I think you guys have a very good defense best in the last 5 seasons? Not even close. It is definitely one of the best defenses this year behind Florida, Georgia, Alabama and Lsu.

That goal line stand was great for sure. Your offense leaves a lot to be desired which is why whoever plays you from the SEC will be favored. The D will be as good if not better than Notre Dame as will the offense. It will not be a high scoring affair though 21-3 or 21-7 .

I would love to see a Alabama vs Notre Dame NCG.

Last edited:

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Welcome to the board. Hang out a while, football talk is everywhere around here.

ND doesn't get much respect down here because of your perceived struggles with lesser opponents. You guys have had the luck ( every champion needs it in some form or fashion) and at the end of the day you guys have scored more than your opponent every game. It will be an intriguing matchup, regardless of who wins the SEC game.

How quickly most forget the 1992 team that wasn't exactly an offensive juggernaut.

From my phone with Tapatalk

Tides_of_Change

1st Team
Sep 27, 2012
Although I would take an exception behind the subjectivity with which Mr. Forde came to his conclusions on who had the most impressive win of each team's games in some instances, I appreciate the premise. I'm unsure of what I think of him using the current rankings of teams rather than the rankings the time the teams played.
It's not arguable that the bottom parts of Alabama's and Georgia's schedules are noticeably lighter by name especially, but the ways in which teams in conferences scurry to schedule is a little more challenging than Notre Dame's privileged position. That's not an excuse; it's just an observation.

The following fact, however, would pretty much take Mr. Forde's article back to a clean slate:

Best opponent played: Alabama visited Georgia (third) on a "neutral site", Georgia hosted Alabama on a "neutral site" and Notre Dame hosted Stanford (eighth) and won in double overtime. Most impressive of the three: Either Alabama or Georgia....

Worst opponent played: Alabama hosted Western Carolina (204th) and won by 49. Georgia hosted Buffalo (135th) and won by 22. Notre Dame hosted the CBS network (5,894th) this upcoming Saturday in comfortable clothes on comfortable couches. Most impressive of the three: Georgia, by a slim margin.

That's a very good and needed adjustment to that article.

Please don't take this too seriously, although I stand behind the rationale. Welcome to the board! When our regular season is finally over, please feel welcome to bring good discussion in the time leading up to our game (provided we're victorious Saturday.)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Welcome to TF.

ND's defense is ranked:
5th in rushing defense
22nd in passing defense
6th in total defense
2nd in scoring defense
12th in pass efficiency defense

That's a good defense, but even this year's Alabama defense, which most consider 'mediocre' in Saban's tenure at Bama, ranks #2, #2, #1, #1 and #5, respectively.

Hopefully we'll see you guys in January.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.