Six Years Ago Today, Former Coach Here Was Let Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Strange thing about Shula....as far as I know, he's never publicly commented on the end of his tenure in Tuscaloosa. His dad sure has, but I'm not aware that he has.

Yet he remains a polarizing figure. Some fans think he was a colossal failure. Others think he was a good man overmatched by the job. Still others think he was just this close to making the turn.

Some think he was done wrong in the termination, and others think he (rather clumsily) brought the circumstances on himself.

But no matter what their position, a lot of fans take it incredibly personally if anyone disagrees with their particular viewpoint.

I'll never understand how someone who's been deafeningly silent for six years can still generate that level of emotion, pro and con.

TrueGritnPluck

Suspended
Nov 21, 2011
If CMS had gone 10-3 again in 2006 rather than 6-6, he would have been invited back on. But my point is that the farewell was to a way of doing business that failed us for a decade. That's all.

It was the dark before the dawn.
Then your post should have been directed towards those who created and propigated that "Old Boy Network" way of doing business

graydogg85

1st Team
Feb 7, 2006
Huntsville, AL
*rolls eyes*

Another re-hashed Shula thread...seriously folks, do some research on this site and read some of the posts by our credible mods. Shula did us zero favors and while those of you who wish to commemorate him for a "job well done under tough circumstances" are entitled to your opinion, it would likely change sharply if you were aware of his handling and treatment of certain players, among other things.

The best things I can say about Mike? He was a good quarterback for us in the Perkins era, and he didn't sink to the depths of Mike Dubose or Gene Chizik as head coach.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
*rolls eyes*

Another re-hashed Shula thread...seriously folks, do some research on this site and read some of the posts by our credible mods. Shula did us zero favors and while those of you who wish to commemorate him for a "job well done under tough circumstances" are entitled to your opinion, it would likely change sharply if you were aware of his handling and treatment of certain players, among other things.

The best things I can say about Mike? He was a good quarterback for us in the Perkins era, and he didn't sink to the depths of Mike Dubose or Gene Chizik as head coach.
This post deserves multiple ice cream cones.

Im_on_dsp

All-SEC
Oct 10, 2007
Canton, GA
Oh come on dude. Seriously? He's the son of Don Shula and an Alabama legend. You really think he sneaks around the University unannounced?
No, but on other hand do you really think there is a record somewhere that the poster checked to verify that CMS never saw fit to set foot back on campus after graduating until Bama waved $900,000 at him (his words, not mine). How does anyone know whether he did or didn't. Oh, that's right, he looked it up on the internet. It's easy, just open Google and type in "how many times has Mike Shula visited the University of Alabama since graduation". My gosh, how did we ever live before the internet was invented.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
No, but on other hand do you really think there is a record somewhere that the poster checked to verify that CMS never saw fit to set foot back on campus after graduating until Bama waved $900,000 at him (his words, not mine). How does anyone know whether he did or didn't. Oh, that's right, he looked it up on the internet. It's easy, just open Google and type in "how many times has Mike Shula visited the University of Alabama since graduation". My gosh, how did we ever live before the internet was invented.
I think too much is being made of the exact wording of the statement. The point is that Shula had so little involvement with the University between graduation and being hired as the head coach that no one is aware of anything. But what difference does it make? This is 2012.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I'm going to make this one post and then close this one more unproductive Shula thread. I knew far too much of what went on in that regime and he was one of the coldest-hearted SOBs I've ever encountered. We had guys playing who had absolutely no support from home - zero money for anything. NCAA regs allowed for them to be fed between terms and he refused to do it. It was the prototypical "born with a silver spoon in mouth - let them eat cake (Marie Antoinette, if you're wondering)" attitude. It was seen to that they got fed. Or the time he punished a player for leaving practice to attend his grandmother's (who raised him) funeral. AFAIC, he's scum and I'd rather never hear his name again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.