Question: What are some new wrinkles we may see in the SECCG? (from either side)

CapeHorn

Scout Team
Aug 22, 2012
I see both teams running no huddle on an occasion throughout the game. Especially after a big play while their defense is on their heels a bit.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Georgia seems like they are going to be pumped up and probably be a little on the reckless side like the Florida game. That means they are going to be biting at the chomp to get hits on defense. We need to try a little screen fake where we hit them over the top. In fact, this may be where Chris Black gets his opportunity if executed because Kenny Bell would probably be the faking blocker when Cooper bubbles underneath for his screen (Cooper has been our favorite WR for screen passes this season).

I feel like any aggressive defense has to be baited into their desire to hit you...their safety is going to want to light up Cooper, so give them an opportunity to do so but burn them.

I don't feel like Georgia is a team to bring a lot of wrinkles into the gameplan offensively each week but I think the magnitude of the game will probably make the staff try some things. I'd expect some sprint out passes from the shotgun to nullify pressure looks from our defense. Perhaps a throwback screen off a sprint out to the backside TE. Also, you always have to be aware of the hobnail boot play when playing the two-back pro-set of Richt. They'll lull you asleep with the FB engaging a LB then they'll dial up the play fake where he just runs right past the ILB looking to engage the FB.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I think the scenarios that come to mind for me, have been covered.

Blake Sims could be involved in something, be it wildcat or letting him come in for some sort of trick play. He's been getting a lot of on field time and for some reason I don't think that only had to do with his being the backup QB. They seemed to want him to get a lot of reps...

Chris Black is obviously an interesting aspect. This could all be a bluff, however, if we see anything from him it will be new.

Jesse Williams is also interesting. I doubt we plan anything, but I'd like to think that everyone has rethought their 4th and goal approach. Hopefully the team has thought up a way to punch the ball in if they have to and he could be integral to that.

irNate

1st Team
Nov 19, 2010
Snellville, GA
I think the scenarios that come to mind for me, have been covered.

Blake Sims could be involved in something, be it wildcat or letting him come in for some sort of trick play. He's been getting a lot of on field time and for some reason I don't think that only had to do with his being the backup QB. They seemed to want him to get a lot of reps...

Chris Black is obviously an interesting aspect. This could all be a bluff, however, if we see anything from him it will be new.

Jesse Williams is also interesting. I doubt we plan anything, but I'd like to think that everyone has rethought their 4th and goal approach. Hopefully the team has thought up a way to punch the ball in if they have to and he could be integral to that.

Anything involving Sims, Lacy, Williams, and Yeldon on the field at the same time sounds good to me

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The thing about Black is that he's going to be asked to duplicate a roll White and Bell filled, so by gameplanning for what we do out of certain looks...Georgia will be prepared in theory. Seeing the drill videos on al.com, he's practicing no lower than fifth behind Cyrus and Christion Jones. So barring a gameplan where we play 3 TE most of the game over our typical 3 WR looks, I expect Black is going to get a share of snaps this weekend. It would be great if he could just execute those drag/cross/mesh (whatever you want to call them) plays and run a smooth deep route. That was really the bulk of what Bell and White was doing within the offense anyway. One thing I do expect when Black sees the field is a screen pass to get him in the flow. We did that a lot with Cooper early and Cyrus Jones too when he sees the field.

As for Blake, with the one wildcat snap in the Tennessee game outstanding, I doubt there is a plan for him to get wildcat snaps. Most teams are probably alerted on the snaps when he is on the field to go to a zone read anticipating defense. He's seen enough time as a backup that they know what to expect when he's out there. I'd hope we'd decline a chance to do another Maze to Williams from the November 5, 2011 LSU game. The possibility we may bring him out there to do a jet sweep hand off that is pitched back to McCarron is pretty reasonable though. I truly think that his one first-string snap at wildcat was really just an attempt to make defensive coordinators waste time on the possibility of Sims at quarterback for a few minutes each practice or in the film room.

I like the Wildcat when you can do it from standard personnel groupings...anything with two QBs on the field is an alert on trick play possibility.

bamaga

Hall of Fame
Apr 29, 2002
JAWJA
I see both teams running no huddle on an occasion throughout the game. Especially after a big play while their defense is on their heels a bit.
Gary Danielson believes Bama will unveil a no huddle , up tempo Power running game.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.