News Article: Chris Black to make debut against Georgia

BigBama

All-SEC
Oct 13, 1999
I love this call. CNS is the best in the business. We need another downfield threat and this is the guy that will help the offense cope with the loss of Bell.

rolltide1982

BamaNation Citizen
Jan 19, 2011
yes sir, i've been wound up bout this kid since he signed. every week i tell my friends i watch the game with " i cant wait to coop and black tearing it up on the field together". i think its gonna an absolute match made in heaven, probablywont the match made in heaven the first game for black but rest assured it will happen and who am i to say it wont happen in the SECCG! lets hit it #5, roll tide roll

kayakerjess

All-American
Sep 9, 2005
Colorado
What does playing a freshman coming off injury say about the other WRs on the depth chart? I agree that this is an "all hands on deck" situation, but I hope the other WRs make his play unneccessary.
I think it says that none of the WRs are speedy enough to be the deep thread that Bell was. Cyrus Jones is good, but not as fast, and Shinn is more of a big body type receiver. Losing White and Bell puts us in a position where we need another guy with top-end speed like Cooper to stretch the back end of the defense.

BamaDMD

Hall of Fame
Sep 10, 2007
Rainsville Al
I was watching his highlight reel from his JR year in HS. Kid is a great talent. Amazingly quick and great hands.

Could be another Prothro.

Wow. Not only speed and good hands but the ability to make quick cuts and misses. If he only were 6'3 he'd be unstoppable.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
To me it says they aren't quite as sharp running routes and don't have the speed downfield or out of a cut. It's the little things that seperate the starters from the backups. With that said, everyone seems to think he's coming onto the field as the #2 receiver behind Coop. I dont' see it happening. For some reason I'm seeing this as an insurance policy if we need him, not that he's coming in to be a primary threat.
What does playing a freshman coming off injury say about the other WRs on the depth chart? I agree that this is an "all hands on deck" situation, but I hope the other WRs make his play unneccessary.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
It could say that he is that good. As Coach said in his presser this week they need to have more receivers cause they get winded in 2 minute situations and if they run long routes. Right now we havfe Cooper, Norwood, Jones, Jones, and Shinn as basically the only guys who have played. Cy. Jones and Shinn barely have more experience than Black, so to me it's a great idea to get him in the game.

God forbid we have another injury in this game to any of these guys and we will certainly need him. So to me it is a no brainer that if he can contribute he should play. And to me it doesn't mean that something is wrong with the other guys.

efd840

1st Team
Nov 23, 2009
CB will now get to play in the SEC Championship and possibly in the BCS Championship games. I think this opportunity is worth burning a redshirt season.
Best post on the whole subject right here. His redshirt isn't getting burned in the weedwhacker bowl after a 6-6 season.

Anybody with an ounce of fire in their belly would be BEGGING to get a chance at contributing this year.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Best post on the whole subject right here. His redshirt isn't getting burned in the weedwhacker bowl after a 6-6 season.

Anybody with an ounce of fire in their belly would be BEGGING to get a chance at contributing this year.
I saw one of the sports writers comment on Chris Black and his drive to play. They said he looked like he wanted to go in and play every game on the sidelines.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Scarbinsky threw an idea out today. Is CNS going public with this to make Georgia gameplan for the pass more, which gives the running game an advantage? Scarbinsky supports the decision to play Black; he was just thinking if this was an attempt at mind games with UGA.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
Scarbinsky threw an idea out today. Is CNS going public with this to make Georgia gameplan for the pass more, which gives the running game an advantage? Scarbinsky supports the decision to play Black; he was just thinking if this was an attempt at mind games with UGA.

Could be, putting so much emphasis on it, will cause them to prepare. Have him not be out there the first series, then bring him in and UGA will expect us to throw to him. Then we hit a nice pass to Cooper.

Kind of like when Yeldon comes in as a decoy sometimes.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
probably a bit of that as well. georguh plays mind games with themselves pretty well

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
The likelihood he's going to play is pretty good. He's drilling at #4 or #5 in WR rotation during warmups. They'll do something to get the ball in his hand early and if he heats up, he'll probably be the choice over still developing Shinn and Cy. Jones throughout the game. He was further along than these two prior to injuries and I haven't really seen anything from Cy. Jones or Shinn right now that suggests they can help replace Bell. They could very well be great receivers one day, but they're raw right now. Black was, at the very worse, equal to Cooper in the Fall drills prior to his injury. He was going to be a contributor before and now he will get an opportunity nobody expected this year to contribute.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.